Buying new TV - Do I really need to worry about DVI connections?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Cory O, Sep 26, 2002.

1. Cory O

Cory O Auditioning

I've been looking at the 36" HDTV's to purchase but the Sonys and the JVC's are the only ones that have DVI connections. The sony is too big for my entertainment system and the JVC can't be bought around here. There are plenty of good sets from Toshiba and Panny I'd love to have but they have no DVI input. Does this really matter? I've heard all the talk about DVI and what it "might be" one day but I don't know if it needs to affect my decision now?

2. Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist Executive Producer

Depends on how long you keep the TV

Many Toshibas are upgradable, and I believe Mitsubishi will upgrade your set for free

If you want to be save, buy one with DVI, if you plan on replacing the TV within 5 years, feel safe without it I'd say isa good rule of thumb

3. Chet Hayes

Chet Hayes Agent

Mitsubishi will not upgrade your set for free and it doesn't appear that DVI is part of the upgrade. I saw a post where someone quoted more detail from Mitsubishi's upgrade promise. It included a list of possible things the upgrade might include, DVI was not one of them, nor was it listed in a recent discussion of the "promise module" in The Perfect View mag.

No one can tell you for sure what's going to happen with DVI, the best you can do is learn the facts and make your own decision.

4. Tim Glover

Tim Glover Lead Actor

Tim Glover
    Pardon the ignorance...but what is DVI?

5. Mark Giles

Mark Giles Second Unit

I'm wondering the same thing...

6. BruceSpielbauer

BruceSpielbauer Second Unit

>>> Mitsubishi will not upgrade your set for free and it doesn't appear that DVI is part of the upgrade. I saw a post where someone quoted more detail from Mitsubishi's upgrade promise. It included a list of possible things the upgrade might include, DVI was not one of them, nor was it listed in a recent discussion of the "promise module" in The Perfect View mag.

7. Mark Giles

Mark Giles Second Unit

Thx for the info Bruce...very informative![​IMG]

8. Tim Glover

Tim Glover Lead Actor

Tim Glover
    Thanks Bruce!