What's new

Need help with official HTF FAQ (1 Viewer)

Vince Maskeeper

Senior HTF Member
Hey guys.
As of Jan 2002 I will be stepping aside as a moderator on this forum (due to excessive real-life demands as I enter my last 2 semesters of school). As many of you know the FAQ & PRIMER has been a serious pet project for me for several months- and I'd like to do another cleanup & addition to this document before I have to leave the staff next month.
As it stands, the following topics look to be worthwhile additions to the Document based upon membership suggestions. I really need volunteers to offer their knowledge and writing skills to addressing these topics:
- A basic introduction into regional coding of DVD, why it exists, what the different regions mean, who can play what, region free, region selectable, RCE etc.
- More info is needed related to HDef and the various video formats 480i, 480p, 540p, 740p, 1080i etc, what the bottom line is as far as which looks better and why. Might be effective to start with a basic introduction of interlaced video we have now, and why progressive is an improvement- onto higher resolutions. There is an article touching on HD http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htfo...754#post523754 by Ray Melnik, but we need a more indepth version to be added to the advanced section.
- Burn-in (uneven tube wear): what causes it, what displays it affects, what can be done, etc. Is this something we should really be worried about? Can letterboxed DVDs burn my screen, how about station logos, why gray bars on 4:3 material, etc.
- A clear explanation of the chroma bug dvd players including how to spot it (maybe a summary and simplification of something like this: Link Removed ).
- An explanation of new connection types: dvi, sdi, whatever connections HD is currently using, firewire maybe? Also looks like we've left off speaker connection types in our current connections post (spade, bananna, etc)- maybe someone could put together a post to expand upon the basic "Different Video and Audio connection cables and types, found here: (http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htfo...769#post652769)
I added the pics to that post- and would be happy to do so again if someone wants to prepare the text covering the speaker connections and digital connections...
-Appeal and importance of professional calibration of projection TV sets. Intro to ISF, maybe some basic stuff about adv/dis of calling a local tech versus using one of the touring technicians.
-Buying dvds online vs. buying locally: who, what, where and why.
-DVD clubs like Columbia house- are they worth it?
If you're interested in authoring a section of the Primer on this, or any other important topic (and thereby achieving HTF notoriety and immortality) please drop me a line:
[email protected]
-Vince

Vince Maskeeper

Senior HTF Member
PS: We have finished pieces on the topics of PVR, Front Projection, Superbit DVD and DIY speaker building currently in the final editing stage, and should be added within the next week or so.

I'm open to any other topics you might think worthwhile, and am always interested in any thoughts concerning corrections/additions to existing posts.

-V

Barry BB

Stunt Coordinator
Hope you don't mind Vince, I'm just bringing this to the top since nobody has responded yet. I don't have the knowledge to help out here but I hope that people will pitch in because there are some topics here that I want to learn more about.

And I hope your exit as moderator doesn't mean that you won't be around because your explanations are very well written and I learn a lot from them.

Vince Maskeeper

Senior HTF Member
Neil,
Greg_R wrote one already on that actually- I'm a couple days behind on getting this stuff updated, edited and posted (due to school), and hoping to catchup over the next couple days. The following are done and in the editing/to be posted phase: Subwoofer Hum, DIY Speakers, BFD uses, FPTV [how's that coming btw?]. I have someone working on Superbit dvds, and someone else has volunteered to cover a couple topics- so I'm going to work that out with him tonight.
If you want to offer any advice or thoughts on the humming issue, Greg's take on the problem is currently posted here:
http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htfo...hreadid=108579
I'm sure Greg would welcome any thoughts you have or suggestions on improvements he might make...
-V

Vince Maskeeper

Senior HTF Member
Adam,

It's all yours. Just email me the text when you have it together and I'll be in touch.

I'm sure it's ready to go. If you want me to proof it again- just bump it in the mod area and I'll take a look. If you think it's good- just move the thread to the bin, post your update, and move it back. Let me know so I can update the TOC.

-V

steve nn

Senior HTF Member
Thank you for your much appreciated help Vince. You have spent so much time and care in your endeavor to help. As you know my experience and articulation is to limited to be of any help to you. We all have benefited from your knowledge and time. There are givers and takers in this world we live in and you definitely have been a giver.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks