What's new

Buying a House....... (1 Viewer)

Mark Sherman

Supporting Actor
Town house that is

I had a meeting with the Realestate agent yesterday and got the ball rolling on my new house ( wrote hime check to hold the place). I Picked out the location of my unit which overlooks a park in the center of the complex. Next I have to get the 5% for the P&S then after that I get to go back and Pick out what I want for cabinets, floors ETC ETC.

Then comes the hard part getting my place ready to sell.

The Basement of my newhouse is UNFINISED and is going to be the home of my Home theater/bar.

Elinor

Supporting Actor
Both my townhouse basements have been unsuitable for serious Home Theater use. The furnace fan (hvac) is too loud and is right next to the "family room." It's like being in the engine room of an aircraft carrier.

Impossible for music listening, unenjoyable for movie watching.

This house, the system is in the living room.

Colton

Supporting Actor
Are your options limited to just the townhouse? Might want to look around some more and don't settle for something too soon. My wife and I shopped around and looked at all kinds of homes - even the repo's. You just know when you find the right home. It just says "Yes" to you the minute you walk in. Regardless, if you really like the townhouse - go for it!

- Colton

Jason L.

Second Unit
Mark,

I would do a search on "townhouse" - there have been numerous threads on the perils of buying a townhouse. There are a few members who will IMPLORE you not to buy one. A townhouse can be as bad as an apartment as far as HT is concerned.

Elinor

Supporting Actor
When I first moved into my current one (an end of group) I stopped the neighbors on the steps and said "I have a big home theater system and sometimes I play it loud. PLEASE please let me know if it's too loud and bothers you."

They have never said a word (5 years plus). I think the layouts of ours are good at not conducting sound. There is a bathroom. closet, and the main first to second floor stairs as a "buffer" between my system and the wall between us. I believe their closet, bath, and stairs are on just the opposite side.

Sometimes you just get lucky. I agree with Jason though, it has almost as much potential to be as hazardous to good neighbor relations as an apartment.

JonZ

Senior HTF Member
I recently bought a raised ranch after being in a duplex for 14 years.

Its a JOY to not be next to someone else. I dont have someone else on top of me all the time,dont have to listen to other peoples arguments,their crappy music, worry about their friends of neighbors parking in my spots,etc.

I lived in quite a few townhouses in the late 80s and early 90s and wouldnt do it again unless I have no choice.

"With a low volume of course, seeing as you're in a townhouse."

That depends on the neighbor. My ex neighbor was very cool about the volumes we played music and films at becuase they knew we wouldnt complain if they turned theirs up as well.

But if you have difficult neighbors, you could be in a world of shit.

"When I first moved into my current one (an end of group) I stopped the neighbors on the steps and said "I have a big home theater system and sometimes I play it loud. PLEASE please let me know if it's too loud and bothers you."

This is what my brother and I did when the neighbors Id had for 10 years moved out about 2 months before I did.I occassionally turn my HT up, but I do like my music loud.

It shows consideration and IMHO is a good idea.

Mark Sherman

Supporting Actor
" Are your options limited to just the townhouse? Might want to look around some more and don't settle for something too soon. My wife and I shopped around and looked at all kinds of homes - even the repo's. You just know when you find the right home. It just says "Yes" to you the minute you walk in. Regardless, if you really like the townhouse - go for it!"

I have looked and looked and there is nothing around my area that can even come close to offering what this place has to offer. Most of the homes near me ( South of Boston ) Are off the charts as far as prices go and the ones that are in my price range are huge Piles of shit that need so much work its not worth it. This way I can get a place that fits all my needs ( price, Location age and layout) and move right in without having to worry if I have to spend 10 Grand on the heating or a new roof or if I happen to find termites. Know what I mean.

As far as the theater goes Im going to make sure that I talk to my neighbors and make sure they can hear Nothing.Mind you I do this for a living and have access to all the proper sound absorbing material that one could ask for. Its in the basement with 1 foot of concrete between me and my neighbors. Im going to put a layer of sound foam on the wall ( the pink stuff ) the the studs then the insulation. I have done this before In my studio and in clients homes. When all was said and done the sub could barely be heard.

more later

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks