What's new

The Man Who Fell To Earth 4K UHD StudioCanal (1 Viewer)

titch

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Oppegaard
The USA will be getting a Best Buy exclusive release in a month, which will using the same master as in the just-released StudioCanal steelbook. Best Buy don't ship outside of the USA, so the StudioCanal one will be the one to get for all of us over the pond. It's being sold as a "Limited Edition" - no idea what it is limited to. There is absolutely no information about the company and people responsible for the mastering, either in the steelbook, or on the video, which is standard procedure for StudioCanal. It looks like the 4K UHD is based on the same master, as the 2016 restoration, released on blu-ray.

The picture on the 4K UHD now has no DNR and the grain is well-resolved - some of the opticals are very grainy. Fine detail is more apparent on the 4K - writing on small signs is now legible and textures on Bowie's shirts are much better resolved. The colours look great, with natural skin tones - much better than the previous StudioCanal blu-ray. This is now the definitive version to project onto a large screen at home.

The Criterion blu-ray was their first blu-ray, released in 2008. It didn't look bad then and the commentary, carried over from the 1992 LaserDisc is a classic - recorded from the times when Criterion really put a lot of resources into their commentaries. I get very nostalgic listening to David Bowie. I find this to be one of the great 1970's art-house/sci-fi movies. It would never get made today.

IMG_E2449.jpeg

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
Mine arrived yesterday. It's a very nice steelbook with a plastic slipcover that reveals Bowie's alien eye when removed. Is anyone at HTF planning on doing a review of this release?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks