What's new

Buying a different sub question... (1 Viewer)

JayKellen

Stunt Coordinator
I have an RCA HTIB 650 watt system....I did not have a ton of cash for a Bose or higher end system , but this system has really worked well for me, I have really enjoyed it. My question, though, is if it is possible to buy another sub and replace it with the sub that came with my HTIB. The RCA sub i have now works fine, but I have noticed that a friend of mine has a 400 watt Sony system, and his sub is ten times more effective than mine is. His even has a sub volume button on it, and as far as I know, mine does not.

I was wondering if there was a setting or a way to increase the bass, or if my sub is just too much on the lower end and I need to replace it with a better sub. Which subs do you recommend, and is it even possible to hook up a different sub other than an RCA if the receiver and all the speakers are RCA?? Would a higher watt sub burn out the receiver if it is too powerful?? Thanks for any advice.

MuneebM

Supporting Actor
I'm not sure, but your RCA sub may be a passive subwoofer, based on what you've said about it not having a volume control. Passive means it doesn't have a built-in amplifier. If this is the case, any crappy (*cough* Sony *cough*) will most likely sound better than your passive subwoofer (especially since its being powered solely by your receiver).

Having owned a Kenwood HTiB, I was in your shoes a few months back. The subwoofer that came with my system was active with a 150-watt built-in amplifier. I thought it was a good sub, but I was inexperienced and naive. I then heard my friend's HSU STF-2 and was blown away. I purchased myself one and it led to a huge chain of upgrades/expenses. As soon as I got the HSU hooked up to the Kenwood system, it just didn't sound right: the HSU sounded very good, but everything else just didn't go with it, so I was "forced" to upgrade all the other speakers as well as the receiver. I was fortunate to be able to sell my HTiB, it was excellent as far as HTiB's go, but just not good enough for the HSU.

I must say that after adding the HSU to the HTiB, it made a huge difference. It is ultimately the best upgrade you can make to your HTiB, but beware that it may lead to a viral strain of upgradatitis!

MuneebM

Supporting Actor
I agree. I got this is a second sub, it is now sitting behind my couches to provide extra rumble and it is an awesome sub for the price. It definitely does not go as low, as loud, and as clean as my primary sub (HSU STF-2), but for $99 its kick-a$$. And yes, it can be had for $99 if you call the customer service line and bargain it down... say that it has recently been sold for that price (I guarantee you that it has been sold for that price recently :))

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks