What's new

BUSTING (1973) by Peter Hyams: any DVD news? (1 Viewer)

JohnHopper

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Hopper
I'd like to start a discussion about the under-rated Neo-Noir "Busting" (1973) also described as an action buddy cop film.

It's the first feature film of director Peter Hyams and it's from his own script.

The story is about the two vice squad cops trying vainly to nail big shot mafioso Rizzo, despite the corruption of the police itself.

The cast is picturesque: Elliott Gould, Robert Blake, Allen Garfield, Sid Haig, Logan Ramsey.

The film was released on VHS back in 1998 and still no traces of a DVD release from MGM.

Any thoughts, any leads...

I don't have any leads, but I agree it's an underrated film,. Directed and acted with real panache, and quite a funky slice of the early '70s.

vincefan

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Amy
I was just watching this movie last night, and agree totally with your comments regarding Busting.

vincefan

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Amy
I was just watching this movie last night, and agree totally with your comments regarding Busting.

Bob Cashill

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Cashill
Seems like a natural for the MGM Limited Collectio or the Warner Archive, whichever has it. That and a legit HICKEY AND BOGGS, which looks stunning on MGMHD, would be sweet.

Flashgear

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Randall
Originally Posted by JohnHopper

Seems like a natural for the MGM Limited Collectio or the Warner Archive, whichever has it. That and a legit HICKEY AND BOGGS, which looks stunning on MGMHD, would be

Oh, yes, I want this one too! Absolutely essential for us Cos/Culp fans...

JohnHopper

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Hopper
It will be nice to get a regular DVD release with a trailer and audio options.

Last year, the soundtrack was released by the label Kritzerland which means it has an importance.

"Busting" by Billy Goldenberg at: http://www.kritzerland.com/busting.htm

You can listen to music clips.

I used to watch "Busting" way back in 1988 on vhs rental. I love those early Seventies cop movies with strong leads.

It's one of those films that are forgotten and need to be rediscovered for many type of audiences:

Peter Hyams film fans, Neo-Noir aficionados, Elliot Gould fans, cop film lovers.

JohnHopper

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Hopper
Good news. "Busting" arrive on DVD in late December 2011 from MGM Classics Collection. It's a Manufactured on Demand DVD: meaning no subtitles, no extras. It will contain the film itself—not restored— and "perhaps" a trailer if they find it. More to come about the details of this DVD edition. At least, the film will be available. You can pre-order it at Screen Archives Entertainment or MGM and, soon, at Amazon.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks