What's new

burgled (1 Viewer)

KynanD

Grip
Couldn't wait to get home yesterday and spend the evening with Monsters Inc. disc 2. Opened the door and discovered my entire collection was missing! Much swearing ensued. Don't ever steal a man's DVDs!:angry:

ThomasC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas
really sorry to hear that...i'd be extremely pissed if even just one of my dvds was stolen, but the whole collection...

Jason Whyte

Screenwriter
Very sad to hear of anyone being burgarlized. I have been stolen from before (a backpack which contained valuable material, and yes, that included DVD's, was stolen out of my friend's car last November). My insurance covered all the loss, but it was still painful and frustrating.

Jason

JasenP

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jasen
Kynan

I am VERY sorry for your loss. I often fear for my collection as it grows. I even have supplementary insurance to cover them.

Good Luck!

LewB

Screenwriter
Sorry to hear that your home was burglarized. The feeling of being 'violated' is horrible.
Besides insurance, I hope you had your collection documented somewhere like dvd profiler. You could just pull a report, or direct insurance co. to your collection on the web. Another thing to do is to take pictures of the interior of your place and stash them somewhere not in your house. I borrowed a friend's digital camera and took 3 diskettes worth of house interior pictures. The diskettes now reside in a safe deposit box.
I had a friend who had to file a claim after a fire, he and his wife spent weeks detailing all their possessions. I figure that if nothing else, the pictures will jog my memory if I ever had to file a claim.

Jeff Ulmer

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
You may want to rethink admitting to comitting insurance fraud in a public forum, especially one where your name and city are visible to anyone...

KyleS

Screenwriter
I was thinking the same thing Jeff, Not a smart move Donnie although I understand your frustrations publicly admitting it is not a good thing.

KyleS

Dean DeMass

Screenwriter
Ex-nay on the dadded dvd-skay.

(Donnie, edit your post)

This is why I keep all my receipts for my DVDs.

-Dean-

KynanD

Grip
Our renter's insurance does cover the DVDs and our collection is documented on paper and in photos. Apparently though, the police have recovered the DVDs (all of them I hope) but had to let the guy go since the burglary hadn't yet been reported. Strangely enough he didn't take my Akira in the limited edition tin. I guess he didn't know it was a DVD. Or maybe he was waiting for a version with a 5.1 OSL track.

In addition to the DVDs he also took my Dreamcast (now I'll never be able to finish MDK2!) and all of my girlfriend's jewelry.

Opening the door and seeing a completely empty DVD rack is a sickening feeling.

Rain

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rain
My biggest fear if I got robbed would be that something bad might happen to my cats.
But of all the material possessions I have, the DVD collection would be the worst thing that could possibly get stolen. Anything else would be much easier to replace. I shudder to think about the out of print stuff. :eek:
It's a bummer that this happened to you, but you are extremely lucky if the stolen merchandise was recovered. I doubt that happens very often. I hope your collection is intact.

KyleS

Screenwriter
I feel for you man but why would they get your DVD's and not arrest the guy? Wrong just wrong man.

KyleS

KynanD

Grip
The police recovered 79 of my DVDs and returned them to me. That's a substantial portion of my collection but it seems almost all of my favorite/OOP titles are among the missing. I actually caught the burglar (sadly, he's a family member who's been using ice) when he tried to break in over the past weekend. I called the cops and hid in the closet while he dismantled the louvres in order to come in through the window. Not an experience I would recommend to others! He's being charged but it looks like his accomplices won't be. They're probably watching my Monsters Inc. DVD right now. No justice!:angry:

Chris Tsutsui

Screenwriter
They're probably watching my Monsters Inc. DVD right now. No justice!
Sorry to hear about that. Maybe thats why people take the law into their own hands. Maybe go to his house and put a small scratch on each of his DVDs. (Wait, that's cruel and unusual)

Why do people have to worry about cats? Cats arn't alarms that need to be subdued and will probably be afraid anyways.

I have 2 dogs so I got to put up big signs that say "BEWARE OF DOG" that are probably helping in keeping burglars out. As soon as they hear a slight noise one dog wakes the other and they both start barking like mad together.

Of course they're small Chihuahua/Corgy and Terrier/Westie but they're still proximity alarms even if it's me trying to sneak inside my house.

The only thing I had stolen from me was my heart from the one woman I loved. (just playing)

Lee L

Supporting Actor
It will be interesting to see what the insurance company tries to do with the OOP DVD's. They will probably try to give you 20 bucks for them when there is probably no way you can get them for that.

Andrew_Sch

Senior HTF Member
If I have learned one valuable piece of advice for when I go out on my own it's this: Keep those DVD's locked up somewhere!! Way too many stories of stolen collections around here for comfort. Sorry about this Kynan, may all those DVD's magically turn into pan and scam for whatever pile of trash stole them.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks