burgled

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by KynanD, Oct 22, 2002.

1. KynanD

KynanD Extra

Couldn't wait to get home yesterday and spend the evening with Monsters Inc. disc 2. Opened the door and discovered my entire collection was missing! Much swearing ensued. Don't ever steal a man's DVDs![​IMG]

2. ThomasC

ThomasC Lead Actor

really sorry to hear that...i'd be extremely pissed if even just one of my dvds was stolen, but the whole collection...

3. Jason Whyte

Jason Whyte Screenwriter

Very sad to hear of anyone being burgarlized. I have been stolen from before (a backpack which contained valuable material, and yes, that included DVD's, was stolen out of my friend's car last November). My insurance covered all the loss, but it was still painful and frustrating.

Jason

4. Ning Wong

Ning Wong Stunt Coordinator

anything else missing? [​IMG]

5. Rob Lutter

Rob Lutter Producer

Bastards! [​IMG] [​IMG]
    You have insurance, right? [​IMG]

6. JasenP

JasenP Screenwriter

Jasen
    Kynan

I am VERY sorry for your loss. I often fear for my collection as it grows. I even have supplementary insurance to cover them.

Good Luck!

7. LewB

LewB Screenwriter

Sorry to hear that your home was burglarized. The feeling of being 'violated' is horrible.
    Besides insurance, I hope you had your collection documented somewhere like dvd profiler. You could just pull a report, or direct insurance co. to your collection on the web. Another thing to do is to take pictures of the interior of your place and stash them somewhere not in your house. I borrowed a friend's digital camera and took 3 diskettes worth of house interior pictures. The diskettes now reside in a safe deposit box.
    I had a friend who had to file a claim after a fire, he and his wife spent weeks detailing all their possessions. I figure that if nothing else, the pictures will jog my memory if I ever had to file a claim.

8. Donnie Eldridge

Donnie Eldridge Supporting Actor

9. Jeff Ulmer

Jeff Ulmer Producer

You may want to rethink admitting to comitting insurance fraud in a public forum, especially one where your name and city are visible to anyone...

10. KyleS

KyleS Screenwriter

I was thinking the same thing Jeff, Not a smart move Donnie although I understand your frustrations publicly admitting it is not a good thing.

KyleS

11. Dean DeMass

Dean DeMass Screenwriter

Ex-nay on the dadded dvd-skay.

(Donnie, edit your post)

This is why I keep all my receipts for my DVDs.

-Dean-

12. KynanD

KynanD Extra

Our renter's insurance does cover the DVDs and our collection is documented on paper and in photos. Apparently though, the police have recovered the DVDs (all of them I hope) but had to let the guy go since the burglary hadn't yet been reported. Strangely enough he didn't take my Akira in the limited edition tin. I guess he didn't know it was a DVD. Or maybe he was waiting for a version with a 5.1 OSL track.

In addition to the DVDs he also took my Dreamcast (now I'll never be able to finish MDK2!) and all of my girlfriend's jewelry.

Opening the door and seeing a completely empty DVD rack is a sickening feeling.

13. Ryan Wright

Ryan Wright Screenwriter

Kynan,
    [​IMG] Sorry to hear about this.

14. Rain

Rain Producer

My biggest fear if I got robbed would be that something bad might happen to my cats.
    But of all the material possessions I have, the DVD collection would be the worst thing that could possibly get stolen. Anything else would be much easier to replace. I shudder to think about the out of print stuff. [​IMG]
    It's a bummer that this happened to you, but you are extremely lucky if the stolen merchandise was recovered. I doubt that happens very often. I hope your collection is intact.

15. KyleS

KyleS Screenwriter

I feel for you man but why would they get your DVD's and not arrest the guy? Wrong just wrong man.

KyleS

16. KynanD

KynanD Extra

The police recovered 79 of my DVDs and returned them to me. That's a substantial portion of my collection but it seems almost all of my favorite/OOP titles are among the missing. I actually caught the burglar (sadly, he's a family member who's been using ice) when he tried to break in over the past weekend. I called the cops and hid in the closet while he dismantled the louvres in order to come in through the window. Not an experience I would recommend to others! He's being charged but it looks like his accomplices won't be. They're probably watching my Monsters Inc. DVD right now. No justice![​IMG]

17. Dennis Nicholls

Dennis Nicholls Lead Actor

Dennis

18. Chris Tsutsui

Chris Tsutsui Screenwriter

19. Lee L

Lee L Supporting Actor

It will be interesting to see what the insurance company tries to do with the OOP DVD's. They will probably try to give you 20 bucks for them when there is probably no way you can get them for that.

20. Andrew_Sch

Andrew_Sch Cinematographer

If I have learned one valuable piece of advice for when I go out on my own it's this: Keep those DVD's locked up somewhere!! Way too many stories of stolen collections around here for comfort. Sorry about this Kynan, may all those DVD's magically turn into pan and scam for whatever pile of trash stole them.