Bummer, been badly burgled boys!

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by Henry Gale, May 18, 2004.

1. Henry Gale

Henry Gale Producer

But I still have my poor sense of humor. Came home Saturday to find the home theater pretty well emptied out. Have not finished an inventory of the DVDs and CDs ....but we're talking in the neighborhood of $20,000.00 worth of goodies.
    My preamp/processor alone is a $5,000 item. By the way if you notice a stray Proceed AVP SN 0407...call 911 for me, thanks!
    A 35" Mitsubishi direct view, 2 S-VHS decks, Pioneer Elite LD, Elite DVD. Tascom CD burner,Apex DVD, 2 Klipsh Fortes, some amp I can't recall right now.
    Both of my drills, an old Atwater Kent speaker that I had turned into a pretty light.
    The sheriff investigator seems excited that I actually have serial numbers and receipts for most of this stuff.
    The bad guys walked by my bicycle, 35mm camera, lots of tools...and left before they could load my center speaker and probably 80% of my CDs.
    They unplugged my computer, but did not take it.

If you live in the country, lock your gate.
    Big tax write off next year!

2. KrishnaS

KrishnaS Stunt Coordinator

Oh Man. this sucks dude. My symathies.

3. ColinM

ColinM Cinematographer

So...How's stereo soundin?

(and yes, that really sucks...)

4. Henry Gale

Henry Gale Producer

A 30" 16x9 and stereo is much better than the empty shelves.
    I was hoping that I'd purchased my last LD player, but since I still have all the LDs...I need to get one. Too bad my Swimming to Cambodia LD was in the player when it went out the back door.

5. PaulDA

PaulDA Cinematographer

Paul
    I was burgled last year, lost a 32"Wega TV, Panasonic DVD-A7 DVD-A/V player (built like a tank, still miss it), a JVC S-VHS VCR, a laptop computer, some DVDs and CDs (and the worst thing of all, much more infuriating than losing my equipment, they stole the money out of my 2 year old's piggy bank--[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] ).

Anyway, I sympathize. Good luck with the insurance (mine was pretty good).

6. Chu Gai

Chu Gai Lead Actor

This is one of the reasons I don't like it when people put detailed posts of what they have and top it off with an address. Makes it too easy for someone to case your joint.
    Hope you had insurance...it's my #1 tweak.

7. Rich Wenzel

Rich Wenzel Supporting Actor

sorry to hear that...

one thing thats a good thing about it, you know you that you have a really good friend...

did you have homeowners insurance?

Rich

8. JackS

JackS Supporting Actor

After a couple of burglaries about 15yrs ago, I installed burglar bars. Nothing you do will be 100% but the added comfort knowing that the added difficulty will probably deter most thieves. After having them installed, you'll wonder how you ever got by without them. The only reason you hear very little about this solution is, emergency services such as medical ,fire, police don't like them. If I should ever move, this will definatly be the #1 project to apply to the new house. Sorry about your loss, I know how you feel because I've been there. The good news is- After receiving the Insurance payoff, it's great fun to go shopping again.

9. KrishnaS

KrishnaS Stunt Coordinator

What's a burglar bar?

10. mielnik_s

mielnik_s Auditioning

My worst nightmare.[​IMG]

11. DaveGTP

DaveGTP Cinematographer

That sucks dude!

That's exactly the kind of comments I was making when all my CDs were stolen out of my car a couple of years back. They tried to get my CD player but couldn't pry it out of the dash. They also took my electric shaver (???!)

When I reported it to the police, I gave them a list of my CDs. I mentioned "every Collective Soul CD made, plus a few they didn't make".

Better luck with the police tracking down your stuff - at least you had serial #s, and yours is a substantial robbery. The police might actually do something.

12. dajaga

dajaga Stunt Coordinator

oh man that sucks. i feel sorry for you. i am accually starting to get worried about some one breaking in to my house now. well i have been in the past 2 months. so if i do get broken in to how should i keep track of all my movies and ht equipment. should i write down all my serial numbers ect. also is there any way i can mount my dvd player, amp, and other equipment to the shelves. also is there any way to mount my spekers to the ground with out damaging the speakers. thanks dave
    ps im sorry for hijacking your thread. but good luck to hope they find your stuff.

13. George Caronan

George Caronan Stunt Coordinator

Jim,

I'm sorry reading about what you went through. I hope those bastards get theirs one day. If you provided the serial numbers of your items, then maybe there's some hope it getting tracked down. Hang in there.

14. Shawn Solar

Shawn Solar Supporting Actor

I hate hearing stories like yours. Being in the Alarm and Survielance industry I see and hear instances like yours all the time . I love catching these guys when we can. The most important thing you did was at least have you serial numbers. They lift any prints?. I know buying new gear is fun and cool[​IMG] But if you care about getting your gear back you could talk to your neighbors and see if they saw anything. Think back if you've seen the same vehicle on your street several times for short peroids during the day or evening in the last couple of weeks. And keep tabs on vehicles in the next month too(if not a busy area)

Also you should consider an alarm or fortify doors with deadbolts and a metal plate on the frame side to prevent wood from splitting. Bars on basement windows is not bad but look unsightly on mainfloor windows. Don't leave garage door openers in your car and your car parked on the street or driveway. It sounds like they might of known you were gone or that you had nice gear. Make note of any repair men/women you've had in your house too. When you get your new gear don't leave discarded boxes in plain site for pickup(cut'em up)

If you need any advice on alarm systems and such just ask[​IMG] And check your jewelery if you got it. Even if it don't look like they've been in there. So what processor you gonna get[​IMG]

15. Bill Blank

Bill Blank Stunt Coordinator

Sorry to hear man!

The best thing anyone can do is document EVERYTHING they own (including CD's and DVD's) and then back that documentation up multiple times.

I've got a hand written log of model #'s and serial #'s with receipts, all of that same info in an Excel spreadsheet that's on my home computer, a floppy disc, and my work computer, and video tape footage of my room, my gear, and my CDs.

My insurance agent thinks I'm nuts but I'll be damned if I won't get enough to replace everything I've got should something ever happen.

Think of it this way Jim, now you get to really streamline your system and avoid any regrets you might have had before. Losing the gear is one thing, losing irreplaceable music/movies is what would kill me the most.

Hope everything works out for you.

Bill

16. Paul Stanley

Paul Stanley Stunt Coordinator

Seriously - keep your eye on eBay for your things. Our neighbour had some engineering equip stolen out of his truck, and found them all listed on eBay the next week. He got his goods back, and the "perp" is paying the price.

[​IMG]

17. Chu Gai

Chu Gai Lead Actor

Now that's a great story Paul. I wonder what the seller's feedback rating was though.

18. SeanV

SeanV Stunt Coordinator

Man, I am really sorry to hear about that. I have just 3 words for anyone reading this "Good Homeowners Insurance". Granted that only deals with the physical possesions and not the anger (at least for me there was) and other feelings, but it's definitely better than nothing.

Sean

19. johnbr

johnbr Stunt Coordinator

[​IMG] I no how you feel. I got my ht robbed 2 yr's a go love the Insurance people.

20. Wayne Ernst

Wayne Ernst Cinematographer

Very sorry to hear (and read) this. Theft sucks. [​IMG]