What's new
World Wide Stereo

Building Surround system for Garage? (1 Viewer)

mikeHende

Agent
I would like to build a surround system for my Garage where I hang out on a Saturday but don't wish to disturb my neighbors too much and also don't wish to spend a lot of money. I don't know much about surround sound except that when you are inside the area of the speakers, they sound very loud and when you step out of the area you hardly hear anything, this is basically what I want to achieve.
So I will need a Sub for the Floor and 4 [or more?]speakers for the wall and a receiver? What I am thinking right now is how to get the "specs" for the equipment I need, my 1-car Garage is 20'Lx10'Wx8'H. Can anyone guide me or send me on the right track to figuring out just what it is I will be needing, how much power, specs of all of the equipment and placement of speakers e.t.c? How is this all done please? Thanks.

Kevin R

Auditioning
No disrespect intended mike - but you are probably best off going to best buy and spending $200 or $300 on a all in one 5.1 home theater DVD player, plug the wires in were the manual says to and there ya go.

Sounds like you are just looking for some nice music listening in your garage over the weekends. And unless you consider yourself picky and want to do alot of work on the garage itself the acoustics in a garage are already going to work hard against anything you spend good money on.

Combined that with your desire to not be too loud, satellites are going to work best for you, and you wont needa big sub really.

I could be wrong - But I will never admit it :)

mikeHende

Agent
I went to circuit city with a friend because he was interested at the time in a surround sound system, that's where we came across the Bose Lifestyle system and went around looking for something that would sound close to it, what we realized was that the surround systems in the price range you mentioned did not sound too godd, as a matter of fact one employee told us that the only real good systems are the expensive ones.
Yes, I too am thinking that Sattelites and a 10 or 12 " sub will be better than those 4 6x9's in the ceiling but I still need to know which sattelites, how many, placement e.t.c?

Kevin R

Auditioning
Do you have a budget in mind? That would be a good place to start, then maybe several people could give some suggestions on different choices.

mikeHende

Agent
No particular budget in mind, just the cheapest good way to go just in case it doesn't work. I need to determine the formula one uses when deciding on on equipment and placement for a particular room.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
prexhobby
Recent bookmarks