What's new

building a scan convertor (1 Viewer)

I like the iScan made by Silicon Image, but it's a bit too expensive and doesn't support RGB input, so I'm going to build my own with the same components.

The only thing I can't find is an RGB video decoders. I can find plenty of ADC's that are designed for RGB to digital, but they don't put out the right format. I need a video decoder that outputs ITU-R BT.656

Can anyone help me?

- Carl

Mark Larson

Supporting Actor
Why not simply build an HTPC?
You can play DVD's with that, scale them however you like, scale and de-interlace cable and satellite material, and even surf the web on a BIG screen!
Plus it'll be less hassle and probably cheaper.
Only disadvantage is that it won't be instant-on and a PC, not a component.

Because I have an Electrohome ECP 4101 projector /w a video switcher that outpus RGB, and I have yet to see a TV card that has RGB input. So, if I used a HTPC, I'd have to go composite or SVideo, which defeats the whole purpose.
Besides, if I build a good scan convertor for like $100 or less, how many other people do you think would want the plans? :D

GordonL

Supporting Actor
With a HTPC, you connect the VGA output of the graphics card to your projector/switcher using a VGA->BNC cable.

Um... you're looking at ths from the wrong end. I have to INPUT RGB, not OUTPUT. A VGA output does nothing to help that.

Please, if your suggestion doesn't have anything to do with components for a DIY scan convertor, don't post a reply.

I wasn't directing that at you, per se. That was just a general request because of the large number of HTPC suggestions that people have given me in other forums.

Mark Larson

Supporting Actor
ECP 4101?
htf_images_smilies_yum.gif

This post isn't about components, but i fail to understand HOW you're getting the RGB out of the PJ...? Is the PJ a source? ..??..?
You've seriously confused me. I'd appreciate some explanation on what you plan to do. You say you don't want a source going into the display, you want something to help you get something from the display to the source?? :confused:
Is this a kind of monitor project? ie you want to monitor what's being displayed in the projector at the same time as it is being displayed? (kinda like a loop-through)?

I am building a scan convertor. I need an RGB+HV to ITU-R BT.656 IC. I haven't been able to find one.
The reason is that I am removing my projector, but leaving my video switcher. I want to take the video output of my switcher, run it through a scan convertor, and hook it up to my 21" VGA monitor.
I do not want a HTPC. If I did this with a HTPC, it would be much more expensive, besides the fact that I have yet to see a capture card that has 5 BNC connectors on the back of it. :) And Gordon seems to have taken my request for no more HTPC suggestions the wrong way, but there's nothing I can do about that because anything more I can say is just going to start a flame war.

Mark Larson

Supporting Actor
Oh, i forgot this was the DIY and Advanced projects forum! :D
Good luck with this project, because i still only partially understand it - you want to
Now i get it - you want something to help you take a VGA (or RGBHV, whatever) signal, and output S-video or composite, right??? Exactly opposite of what an iScan does. Cool. :) Now i get it (i think!)
Don't worry about Gordon. People have bad days, people get pissed off.

Um you have it completely wrong. I want to do exactly what the iScan does, except with RGB instead of YPrPb component video. RGB 15.7khz interlaced in, RGB 31.5khz out.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks