build your own ?

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by Ed Kerns, Mar 10, 2005.

1. Ed Kerns

Ed Kerns Agent

I'm pretty new to HT, but have been a hobbyist woodworker for a couple of decades, and have become a pretty fair cabinet maker. I'm wondering if there is a way to use my ww skills to my advantage in speaker construction. I know little about speaker design except that the size, shape, materials, venting (and of course, components) in the box all are critical to the sound. Are there speaker kits available that produce first class results? I know I could head to my local radio shack store, buy a collection of drivers and such and stick them in a box, but I'm hoping for something a few steps up from that.

2. Mike_Gr

Mike_Gr Stunt Coordinator

3. Ed Kerns

Ed Kerns Agent

Mike, Thanks for the links, I've bookmarked them for further study. I guess what I'm really looking for though, is a 'kit' with matched components , cross over etc. with plans for a suitable cabinet. I'm not experienced enough to pick out my own electronics and design the box to put them in. I'd be especially interested in hearing from anyone who has gone down this path and can vouch for the quality of the results.

4. Ed Kerns

Ed Kerns Agent

I just stumbled on the threads on the DIY forum. should have posted there. Doh!:b

5. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John