Build my first own speaker, please help!

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by ChrisLazarko, Sep 16, 2003.

1. ChrisLazarko

ChrisLazarko Supporting Actor

Well i'm looking to build my first speaker (preferably a center channel) and I am looking to not spend much. As this will be my first project I was looking to spend somewhere around perhaps $35-40 not more than that and maybe have 2 drivers and a tweeter... If anyone could suggest anything from radioshack I would appreciate it.

http://www.radioshack.com/category.a...9%5F004&Page=2

That is the link for the speakers I was looking at, although I am not sure I want to spend $9.99 on a speaker for my first attempt, as well as I would like to build a crossover and such. Could someone suggest how this is done or a website that would explain the whole process.

Thank you!

2. TimForman

TimForman Supporting Actor

I suppose you could start by reading this. The usual recommendation for someone building their first speaker is to use a kit. There's only one kit I know of in that price range and that's the ELF 1.5 from Creative Sound.

3. Dave Poehlman

Dave Poehlman Producer

Chris, I would steer clear of Radio Shack for drivers... for what you'd get, they're overpriced. Check the sales at www.partsexpress.com or www.i-mcm.com for some cheap drivers.

Building a center channel for $35-$40 isn't impossible. I built a set of mini bookshelves for probably around $60-$70 (would've been cheaper if I hadn't finished them in oak veneer). I found a set of 5 1/4" poly-coned drivers with rubber surrounds on "ultra clearance" at mcm for $7.99 (they've been discontinued since, however... sorry)

MCM has since changed their website and they don't seem to cater as much to the speaker builder anymore.

I too was leery about building my first speakers... I didn't want to spend a bunch of cash to have them sound terrible. But, I bit the bullet and built a set of Georgia Tech 2-ways that cost probably a total of $200.. they sound great and really built up my confidence to tackle a couple of self-designed projects.