What's new

Budget Headphones (1 Viewer)

JakeGreen

Stunt Coordinator
I would like to get a pair of decent headphones. Budget is around $50, possibly as high as $100, but I probably won't use them much, so less would be better. What would you recomend and where do I find them? Any input will be appreciated.

Derek K

Auditioning
I discovered this site while doing research on headphones myself. Check it out:

www head-fi org

I can't post links yet, so fill in the dots yourself.

Derek

ColinM

Senior HTF Member
I always plug my MDR-V6 from Sony. Discontinued, but an awesome rock music set with enough smoothness to work for orchestral / choir. On Ebay for around $60 occasionally. Easy to drive. I use mine 2 hrs a day on and off at the office. I key in data, and these are great to kill office chat and rock out. Sony CDP-291 cd player.

Good Luck!

MikeLi

Supporting Actor
I was going to suggest a trip to circuit city or best buy and try some of their upper end ones and see what you like. You can get a decent set of comfortable Sony phones for that price.

ThomasL

Supporting Actor
Jake,

what do you want to use them for? i.e. portable type for walking/running/etc. Or is this for more sit at home listening? For the former, take a look at Sennheiser's PX100s which can be had for $40. For the latter, take a look at the Grado SR60 or Sennheiser HD497 - both around $60-$70. In addition to the site listed above by others, check out http://www.headphone.com

good luck,

--tom

Dustin B

Senior HTF Member
The HeadRoom link above has lots of excellent info. They also just got in the new Sennhiesser 5X5 series. The 505 would be another you should consider (unless you want to go more portable).

JakeGreen

Stunt Coordinator
I will mainly be using them for listening to music from my reciever/cd player at home. I live in town, so I can't really crank it up to much. And I'll also be using them to listen to music on my computer. My girlfriend goes to bed way before I do, and I want to be able to listen to music at a louder level without bothering her.
Now, I don't know anything about headphones, but I think I would like a pair that fully cover your ears. But if someone thinks that I don't need that, let me know.

JakeGreen

Stunt Coordinator
By the way, the only headphones I have ever used are the cheap ones that come with sony diskman's, the old earbuds that came with the origional gameboy and a cheap ($30) pair of Koss ones that covered my ears. The Koss were obviously the best out of the group. So it won't take much to make me happy. I'm sure something entry level is plenty good enough for me.

JakeGreen

Stunt Coordinator
Ok, I did a little studying on HeadRoom Link above. Keep in mind I have no idea about this, but here's what I am looking at:
Sennheiser HD 212 Pro $50
HD 202 $25
HD 497 $60
Beyerdynamic DT 231 $60
Grado SR 60 $70

Looks are not very important, comfort and sound quality matter most.

ThomasL

Supporting Actor
If looks are not important :), then the HD497s are pretty good. They are silver which is the new vogue color for A/V stuff. I have a pair for the same use that you want a pair for - basically listening in the bedroom. I use a pair of PX100s for my portable playing. You may want to go the sealed route if you want no noise escaping but my wife doesn't appear disturbed at all when I'm using them. From what I read when I did my research, the HD497s and SR60s are comparable. It was a toss up for me. If I was redoing it all today, I'd probably pick the Grados since they are black in color which I like better. Check out www.headfi.org for many opinions on these models and the others you listed.

good luck,

--tom

JakeGreen

Stunt Coordinator
I don't care if some sound escapes, as long as it's not a lot of sound. I listen to everything from classical to country to rap, so pretty much everything. I will not be amping them at any point. Just hooked straight up to my reciever or computer. Are there any decent phones with noise canceling under $100?
I registered on headfi yesterday, but I guess I haven't been activated yet. I can't post over there.

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
I highly recommend the Sennheiser 497s. I have not listened to the Grados, but if they are similar then choose according to style and price. I got my 497s off eBay for under $50.

The 497s don't have a lot of lower end response, but the overall quality of sound more than makes up for it.

Steve Lucas

Stunt Coordinator
I play in a band and we use a headphone monitor system. I use these

Sony

They are right at your $50 budget point and I think they sound great. I play them quite loud to overcome the stage volume and they never seem to distort at the levels I use. They also have a very nice, deep bass extension.Sometimes I feel my head tingling from the bass output and they are still playing clean.
I got mine at Circuit City.

I have the Sennheiser 497's and use them most of the day at work listening to XM. They do a pretty good job in my opinion. Bass is pretty deep for a headphone and the highs are quite clear. The sound does escape a bit, but none of my co workers here in cubicle land have complained. My only complaint is that they seem to put a bit too much pressure around my ears if I wear them too long. I find myself taking them off a few minutes each hour to releive this.

Good luck.

Marty M

Senior HTF Member
Hi Jack,

Nice to see another downstate Illinoisan on the HTF. There is a nice store here in Champaign that sells Grado headphones. The store is Champagne Audio. If you are over this way, check them out. Send me a private message if you want directions.

Greg_R

Screenwriter
Real Name
Greg
You want to find an efficient set of headphones. The Grado SR60s are very efficient (can easily be driven by portable audio devices) and offer good sound quality. You may want to invest in replacement ear pieces for the unit (they are more comfortable). Read more about it on the headphone forums mentioned above.

If you want total noise isolation, check out the Etymotic ER6. They are slightly over $100 but block (not filter) 30dB+ of noise. Sound quality is pretty good as well (and they are efficient).

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks