What's new

Bryston 7B-ST vs. 14B-ST (1 Viewer)

Herb Kane

Screenwriter
Hello folks:

I am presently running a 4B-ST for my mains and a 9B-ST for my center and four surrounds. All speakers are MartinLogan (Ascents, Theater center, Aerius i's and Scripts).

I am considering upgrading to either a 14B-ST or 7B-ST's for my mains and moving my 4B-ST to center channel duty (and bi-amping).

Does anyone have any experience having compared both? The specs are virtually identical, so one would think the "pair" of 7B's would be more expensive -- not so. So, for the extra $500.00 bucks, what will the 14B do that the 7B's won't....?

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Regards,

Herb.

LarrySkelly

Stunt Coordinator
Hi Herb,

I was considering the 4B-ST for my reQuests, I am looking for a used one. Do you think the 4B-ST is running out of juice with your speakers?

Larry

Joe Casey

Stunt Coordinator
IMO, the 7B's offer the advantages of channel separation (being mono's) and shorter speaker cabling/placement issues, all else being equal. I personally went with the 7B's.

Herb Kane

Screenwriter
Do you think the 4B-ST is running out of juice with your speakers?

Hi Larry: No. In all honesty, I'm quite happy with the 4B-ST for my mains. I'm simply looking to make what I consider an excellent combination, even better. When I added the 4B for my mains, there was a nice difference but it wasn't a night & day difference from the 9B-ST. So, I'm not sure what to expect when I do compare the 7B or the 14B to the 4B. As for placement, not much of an issue there as I would have to place both 7B's in the same place I'd be placing the 14B. Not much room left on the front wall.....

Basically, I'm curious to see whether the extra $500.00 bucks is justified (in the opinion of others) for the 14B. I have but one concern. My speaker cables (LCR) are approximately 24' and my interconnects are 3'. I have absolutely no hiss or hum whatsoever. Everything is dead quiet -- amps included. I'm leery of messing with the cables and adding 24' interconnects for the LCR only to be left with a possible result less pleasing than with my current set-up.

And, it's Spring. Yes, I have Spring Fever. That is definitely cheaper and safer than wanting a new sports car.... I even got the green light to replace my front projector (she really does love me....).

Herb.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks