What's new

Press Release BREAKING NEWS: Paramount Pictures Launches “Paramount Presents” Label (1 Viewer)

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
...and those releases were planned to coincide with the new Top Gun movie’s theatrical release. That they could tie those films to a major tentpole release as being a sort of “Tom Cruise action franchise” was probably a determining factor in green lighting those releases.

Yup! Made sense as a "Tom Cruise 4K Collection"! :)

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
The release of these Paramount films on digital 4K is still very confusing as to why it is not happening. If these were 4K titles I would be buying them digital. I can’t see how they would be much cost for the studio. However if they are holding them back for their streaming service as exclusives then it kind of makes more sense. And/or as it was suggested selling or leasing them to prime Amazon or Netflix.

Cranston37+

🇺🇸
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick
The release of these Paramount films on digital 4K is still very confusing as to why it is not happening. If these were 4K titles I would be buying them digital. I can’t see how they would be much cost for the studio. However if they are holding them back for their streaming service as exclusives then it kind of makes more sense. And/or as it was suggested selling or leasing them to prime Amazon or Netflix.

Be careful what you wish for - I don't want the "restored" "To Catch a Thief" to replace the copy I have in my iTunes library ;)

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
Be careful what you wish for - I don't want the "restored" "To Catch a Thief" to replace the copy I have in my iTunes library ;)

sure. Just trying to understand what Paramount’s strategy is overall with this series of releases.

Cranston37+

🇺🇸
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick
sure. Just trying to understand what Paramount’s strategy is overall with this series of releases.

I have a feeling that when it comes to these types of things that's is less them having a "strategy" and more "we'll get to it when we get to it"

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
Good to see that Fatal Attraction is being offered in 4K digital.

king creole is the only other 4k digital release from the paramount presents series so far?

I’m curious to know if Airplane! Will also be offered in 4K digital.

Paramount’s video distribution is puzzling to understand.

As all of the titles in the presents series have been mastered in 4K, 4k digital releases seem logical to me. Yet only 2 are available so far?

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
Pretty in Pink just upgraded to 4K at iTunes. Also available for sale in 4K at Vudu.

edit... and Flashdance!
and also (Vudu only, so far) Airplane!

I bought airplane from iTunes this morning for $8. Hoping it upgrades to 4k shortly.

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
Since my wish-list doesn’t cost me or Paramount a dime, I thought I’d go for broke and up the ante towards a 4K/UHD list; which basically cites my top 12 favorite suggestions; as derived from the collective postings of the HTF membership.

A Place in the Sun
Chinatown
The Day of the Locust
Detective Story
Funny Face
The Greatest Show on Earth
Heaven Can Wait
Hud
Murder on the Orient Express
Ordinary People
Romeo & Juliet (1968)
The Shootist

Honorary Mention:
To Catch a Thief
(redux of scan/color)

Last edited:

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
The existing Blu-ray is pretty terrific, so I'm not really sure what they could add to it. But if we're talking about 4K releases, then it's pretty obvious that Sunset Boulevard should be included in this series of releases.

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
I just ordered a dvd of Foul Play so perhaps Paramount will now do a blu ray of that film now.

odd that it is not available in digital.

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
SEARCHING FOR BOBBY FISCHER.

Where has this one been hiding?

Worth

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick Dobbs
Is that how you feel about movie release formats or how long you're willing to wait for a particular movie to be released on your preferred format?
Hopefully, it's the latter, especially when it comes to something like Searching for Bobby Fischer, which is the kind of film least likely to get a blu-ray release. It's not recent, there are no big names in front of or behind the camera, it's not a cult or genre title.

Reactions: PMF

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
Is that how you feel about movie release formats or how long you're willing to wait for a particular movie to be released on your preferred format?
I am absolutely for every format and venue that keeps the heritage of motion pictures accessible and in circulation.

Now, with that said; and being a thread which is specific to the newly announced BD release program of “Paramount Presents”; I was posting a suggestion for a hopeful future title. Often, when speaking of physical media titles, other members pop-up with the streaming alternative; which is always helpful and a great heads-up; but I sometimes wonder if that becomes a inadvertent deterrent towards our collective BD Wish-Lists

As for my fellow poster ManW_TheUncool? I am always “cool” with him and all his points of view; which in other threads is well established; whereas here, I’m just arm-wrestling with him to lean in on the thoughts of our having an actual disc in hand.

Hopefully, it's the latter, especially when it comes to something like Searching for Bobby Fischer, which is the kind of film least likely to get a blu-ray release. It's not recent, there are no big names in front of or behind the camera, it's not a cult or genre title.
Big names in front of the camera:
Ben Kingsley

Big names behind the camera:
Conrad Hall, to which the American Society of Cinematographers had voted Searching for Bobby Fischer as one of the Top 100 films for their centurion anniversary of 2019.

As a matter of fact, ASC had voted in a whopping total of five films shot by Conrad Hall, which are as follows:

Cool Hand Luke (1967)
In Cold Blood (1967)
Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid (1969)
American Beauty (1999)

But, for the exception of Searching for Bobby Fischer (1993), all of these aforementioned titles are now available on BD.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks