What's new

Press Release BREAKING NEWS: Paramount Pictures Launches “Paramount Presents” Label (2 Viewers)

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
Wonder Boys is my second favorite film of all time.

Curious... was Pittsburgh your old hometown? OR maybe you're an alum of one of the colleges/unis (and maybe even majored in writing?) there?

It's definitely a fave for me due in part to the whole college (and college town) nostalgia even though I've never actually been to Pittsburgh -- Ithaca was my college town.

_Man_

davidmatychuk

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Matychuk
"We're No Angels", just in time for Christmas? Let me add some untempered enthusiasm to the mix here! This is one of my old favourites (like me, it's from 1955) since I saw it on TV as a child. The DVD was such a jump over anything I'd seen before, certainly because of its VistaVision heritage, that I'm sure the Blu-Ray will be stunning. I've watched it on Christmas Eve or Christmas Day every year without fail since it was released on VHS in the 80's; it is a holiday essential in my home. I'll be thinking of my Mom, who loved it too, when I watch it this Christmas. "We're No Angels" on Blu-Ray is the best home video news I've heard in 2020. Is all that enthusiastic enough for this forum?

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Curious... was Pittsburgh your old hometown? OR maybe you're an alum of one of the colleges/unis (and maybe even majored in writing?) there?

It's definitely a fave for me due in part to the whole college (and college town) nostalgia even though I've never actually been to Pittsburgh -- Ithaca was my college town.

_Man_

I actually have no connection to the town or anything like that, and I was a film major, not a writing one. I’ve just loved the movie since the first time I saw it, and it really spoke to me. I love the characters, I love the story, it’s perfectly cast, the music choices are exceptional, the screenplay is perfectly structured, the direction is so good it doesn’t even seem directed, it just does everything right for me.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
"We're No Angels", just in time for Christmas? Let me add some untempered enthusiasm to the mix here! This is one of my old favourites (like me, it's from 1955) since I saw it on TV as a child. The DVD was such a jump over anything I'd seen before, certainly because of its VistaVision heritage, that I'm sure the Blu-Ray will be stunning. I've watched it on Christmas Eve or Christmas Day every year without fail since it was released on VHS in the 80's; it is a holiday essential in my home. I'll be thinking of my Mom, who loved it too, when I watch it this Christmas. "We're No Angels" on Blu-Ray is the best home video news I've heard in 2020. Is all that enthusiastic enough for this forum?
Yesterday at lunchtime, I sat down and watched the iTunes HD digital in its entirety. I thought the colors in this Technicolor film looked fine and was very pleased with the stream of VistaVision movie. IMO, this is a solid movie with some clever dialogue. It's not a laugh a minute comedy, but I always chuckle at some of the dialogue exchanges. I always disliked the ending, but perhaps that's just me. I won't say anymore about that ending, but those that have seen this movie know what I'm talking about.:)

Astairefan

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Neil Powell
I've never seen it, but between the cast and what I saw from watching the trailer on YouTube, I'm interested in We're No Angels. That being said, I'm waiting to see which of Paramount's three lines of releases it comes out through before deciding how soon I will buy it. If it comes from the "Paramount Present" line, which means it would likely have a new restoration, then I'm willing to buy. Since the other two ways (retail or MOD) both seem to mean "no new restoration," then I'm hoping that it at least goes the retail route, since that would be cheaper. If it goes the MOD route (which currently seems the most likely, considering how far off the release date is from the announcement), then I'm going to wait for reviews, and maybe grab it on sale (unless the reviews indicate they're learning from WAC and doing a good job, then I might be more willing to grab it at full price).

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
I've never seen it, but between the cast and what I saw from watching the trailer on YouTube, I'm interested in We're No Angels. That being said, I'm waiting to see which of Paramount's three lines of releases it comes out through before deciding how soon I will buy it. If it comes from the "Paramount Present" line, which means it would likely have a new restoration, then I'm willing to buy. Since the other two ways (retail or MOD) both seem to mean "no new restoration," then I'm hoping that it at least goes the retail route, since that would be cheaper. If it goes the MOD route (which currently seems the most likely, considering how far off the release date is from the announcement), then I'm going to wait for reviews, and maybe grab it on sale (unless the reviews indicate they're learning from WAC and doing a good job, then I might be more willing to grab it at full price).

When it comes to Paramount catalog releases, especially the new Paramount Presents line, always wait for reviews.

_Man_

richardburton84

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jack
And the next film in the Paramount Presents line will be The Court Jester on January 26th:

Celebrating its 65th Anniversary, Paramount’s beloved madcap musical debuts on Blu-ray, beautifully remastered from a 6K film transfer of the original VistaVision negative. In this swashbuckling comic farce, star Danny Kaye is kind-hearted entertainer Hawkins who disguises himself as the legendary king of jesters, Giacomo. Hawkins infiltrates the court of an evil villain (Basil Rathbone), but when a sorceress hypnotizes him, royal chaos ensues. Alternating identities at the snap of a finger, between swordplay and wordplay, Kaye’s comic genius shines through. The stellar supporting cast includes Glynis Johns, Angela Lansbury, Mildred Natwick, Cecil Parker, and John Carradine.

Ejanss

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
EricJ
YES!!! Now if they can re-do Chinatown, Funny Face and Hatari correctly.

Most of the titles on Paramount's "Presents" label are the classics that weren't sold off to Warner (where they were abandoned), and have been running on their HD "Paramount Classics" channel online and on PlutoTV. A good way to tell which titles we'll, ahem, very likely get on Presents disk.

Funny Face is definitely one, and think Hatari, but not sure about Chinatown. Or Li'l Abner.

Worth

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick Dobbs
Chinatown already has a new master and is for sale and rental in 4K on digital, so it will probably receive a new disc release at some point.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks