What's new

Bram Stoker's Dracula: Standard and Limited Edition (Blu-ray) Available for Preorder (1 Viewer)

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Konstantinos said:
I don't know if you have seen it, but here's how the special case is:

No appeal to me there, and as I see to most people too.

Thanks for sharing that, makes my purchasing decision that much easier - cheaper standard case it is!

Dr Griffin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Zxpndk
davidmatychuk said:
The Criterion laserdisc does have the cool subtitles. Also, Criterion's opening sequence is very bright and red, almost a red wash. The Sony Blu-Ray has more natural colours and is much darker. Aren't Criterion releases supposed to be definitive (he said mischievously)? Dare I say I wish the Blu-Ray had more stylized colours resembling Criterion's laserdisc? Maybe the colourist for the Blu-Ray heard all the Keanu fans yelling "MORE HARKER!" as a demand for "MORE DARKER!".

According to the Beaver, the new 4K transfer has greater contrast - the dark scenes are darker, and the bright scenes are brighter. I'm wondering how the background writing will fare in those darker scenes.

FoxyMulder

映画ファン
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Dr Griffin said:
According to the Beaver, the new 4K transfer has greater contrast - the dark scenes are darker, and the bright scenes are brighter. I'm wondering how the background writing will fare in those darker scenes.

Sony/Columbia are using Dolby Vision for all future UHD releases, this is greater contrast and this very much sounds like a transfer optimized for an UHD release, i suspect this, Leon and The Fifth Element will all be early UHD releases.

http://www.dolby.com/us/en/technologies/dolby-vision.html

Dr Griffin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Zxpndk
Josh Steinberg said:
Thanks for sharing that, makes my purchasing decision that much easier - cheaper standard case it is!

The unusual packaging is actually appealing to me, and it will be limited. As long as the whole thing stays together, it will be a nice addition.

Worth

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick Dobbs
FoxyMulder said:
Sony/Columbia are using Dolby Vision for all future UHD releases, this is greater contrast and this very much sounds like a transfer optimized for an UHD release, i suspect this, Leon and The Fifth Element will all be early UHD releases.

Unless I missed an announcement, the HDR mastering only applies to new films, not catalogue titles.

FoxyMulder

映画ファン
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Worth said:
Unless I missed an announcement, the HDR mastering only applies to new films, not catalogue titles.

Its not a Sony/Columbia title but they already did this with Chicago and it benefitted the blu ray too although obviously HDR is not on the blu ray release, who knows for sure, i'm just speculating based on the fact they are calling it a restoration and not just a simple re-master, i'm also speculating on Leon and The Fifth Element because they are going to the trouble of re-mixing to Atmos so it wouldn't surprise me if they have a Dolby Vision UHD edition in the pipeline for release next year and of course all of this also benefits any blu ray release as the image and sound quality is improved even if you cannot get HDR on blu ray.

Steen DK

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Steen
Konstantinos said:
It seems Coppola and Sony changed their mind from the earlier ""approved" version of the film that "without doubt" was "the absolute and correct version" of the film, with colors carefully "matched to the original print" , while all the earlier releases due to their limitations were "wrong".

:) :D Vindication at last!

I think it was painfully obvious that something was very, very wrong with the old BD. And here we are...

Steen DK

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Steen
And let's have a quote from Kim Aubry about the 2007 BD, shall we?

Simply put, the newer transfers are much closer to the final answer print which was the filmmaker's ideal at the time. What I can tell you is that this new HD transfer is as close (overall) to MY memory of the original film as anything that I have seen, and I worked round-the-clock completing Dracula in Summer-Fall 1992. (I saw a LOT of answer prints and release prints at a LOT of screenings.)

So clearly this new BD looks NOTHING like the answer print. I mean, they can't both look like it.

FoxyMulder

映画ファン
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Dave Mack said:
http://screenshotcomparison.com/comparison/144125

Interesting how the new BD in this controversial scene looks just like the old Superbit....

Maybe they read all the complaints about the original release and said to hell with it lets go back to how it looked on the superbit DVD release, it could well be they are altering it just to please people and sell more, i'd sure like them to tell us more and tell us why they said the 2007 version was how the answer print looked, one of them is wrong, they can't both be right.

Konstantinos

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Konstantinos
FoxyMulder said:
Maybe they read all the complaints about the original release and said to hell with it lets go back to how it looked on the superbit DVD release, it could well be they are altering it just to please people and sell more, i'd sure like them to tell us more and tell us why they said the 2007 version was how the answer print looked, one of them is wrong, they can't both be right.
i would also love an official explanation.

well, maybe both could be right in that they found another better print and they matched the new colors to the new one!

However, I still insist that having seen the film twice at the cinema, at an age that it made a huge impression on me, I remember being able to see the diary text superimposed on the image.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
IMG_0354.JPG

Dr Griffin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Zxpndk
The blood (kinda important in this one) looks more orange in the 2015 caps. The issue with the framing is a little alarming. I'm going to wait to see it for myself before I blow a gasket. I watched the 2007 Blu-ray recently, and during the scene when Lucy's bed explodes in blood, not for a second did I think the blood looked a little orange.

Konstantinos

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Konstantinos
Dr Griffin said:
The blood (kinda important in this one) looks more orange in the 2015 caps. The issue with the framing is a little alarming. I'm going to wait to see it for myself before I blow a gasket. I watched the 2007 Blu-ray recently, and during the scene when Lucy's bed explodes in blood, not for a second did I think the blood looked a little orange.
The blood in the last comparison?

I don't see much of a difference.

By the way, we will be sure if the film is misframed or not, when we see the initial Columbia Pictures presents.

I just checked my DVD and it's right in the middle!

Judging from the new Bluray screenshots I suspect it will be a bit up and left.

Dr Griffin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Zxpndk
Konstantinos said:
Konstantinos, on 29 Sept 2015 - 5:58 PM, said:

The blood in the last comparison?

I don't see much of a difference.

By the way, we will be sure if the film is misframed or not, when we see the initial Columbia Pictures presents.

I just checked my DVD and it's right in the middle!

Judging from the new Bluray screenshots I suspect it will be a bit up and left.

I didn't say it was the last comparison. It is a comparison though, and I see enough of a difference to mention it.

Konstantinos

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Konstantinos
Dr Griffin said:
I didn't say it was the last comparison. It is a comparison though, and I see enough of a difference to mention it.
I meant, you meant the blood IN the last comparison in that review? With the bed and the blood?

Because I don't see any blood in any other comparison.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Feetman
Recent bookmarks