1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Bram Stoker's Dracula: Standard and Limited Edition (Blu-ray) Available for Preorder

Discussion in 'Blu-ray and UHD' started by Ronald Epstein, Jul 29, 2015.

1. Dr Griffin

Dr Griffin Cinematographer

Zxpndk
    OK, got you. Yes, the last one. That's the scene I mentioned (Lucy's bed). I think it is less red, in comparison to the 2007 BD, but maybe not enough to take me out of the movie. Some other scenes, though, are wildly different looking in color.

2. Dave Mack

Dave Mack Producer

3. Colin Jacobson

Colin Jacobson Lead Actor

I just watched the Blu-ray and felt it had a clear orange and blue orientation. I don't know the movie well enough to state whether or not that's accurate, but that's the way it looked to me.

Though not in a modern day "orange and teal" way, though - the color timing never felt like an attempt to "modernize" the movie. Those hues did dominate, however.

I looked at the scene with Lucy's bloody bed and felt the blood looked fairly red - some orange involved but not to an overwhelming degree, IMO...

Mark Walker and Dr Griffin like this.
  4. Dr Griffin

Zxpndk
    Colin, any issues with framing?

5. Will Krupp

Will Krupp Cinematographer

Will
    As much as I dislike most everything about this particular movie, I do have vivid memories of dominant golden orange (antique) tones when I saw this in the theater back when it first came out.

6. Konstantinos

Konstantinos Screenwriter

Konstantinos
    Could you see the diary effect?

This was the most controversial scene in the previous Bluray, and it seems it hasn't been answered yet! :(

it's the first 2 screenshots in this post:

http://www.hometheaterforum.com/topic/342206-bram-stokers-dracula-standard-and-limited-edition-blu-ray-available-for-preorder/?p=4298714

This looks pitch black, but in reality there is a text superimposed on the image that isn't evident.

it was very clearly evident though in the theatrical prints and DVD.

7. davidmatychuk

davidmatychuk Cinematographer

David Matychuk
    When I watched the Criterion laserdisc back in 1994, I didn't leap to my feet shouting "This looks nothing like what I saw in the theatre!", I just thought it was another really first-rate laserdisc. Have my standards changed? I don't know, but I do know that comparing the previous Blu-Ray to the laserdisc the other night, the wonderfully clear and detailed Blu-Ray seemed awfully natural-looking and not stylized, colour-wise. Does anybody else have any memories of what the theatrical prints looked like?

8. Dave Mack

Dave Mack Producer

I saw it at a revival screening at moma many years after it was on home video and it looked the same. The very expensive Criterion LD was also Coppola approved.

9. Dr Griffin

Zxpndk
    I saw it on original release and just remember dark. The opening scenes of the battle and impaling stuck with me, the color and darkness, and I've never questioned them on home video.

10. Colin Jacobson

None that I noticed. The framing may differ for all I know, but I didn't see shots that I thought looked obviously "off"...

Could you point out the specific time in the movie I need to check?

11. Konstantinos

Konstantinos
    Unfortunately not.

I have the PAL dvd which has different timing..

it should be somewhere after 28.40'', after Harker sees Dracula climbing down the wall.

also I assume the film has the original burned-in stylised titles like:

Dr. Seward's Diary, Sister Agatha's letter etc.?

It's confirmed that it doesn't have the burned-in subtitles for the foreign language, but there were these too.

12. Colin Jacobson

Material like "Dr. Seward's Diary on Phonograph Cylinder" does use the original burned in titles. You're right that non-English dialogue gets player-generated subtitles.

As for the "diary effect", I can definitely see text super-imposed on the screen. I can't read it, but I don't think you're supposed to be able to make out specific words....

Dave H and Konstantinos like this.
  13. Konstantinos

Konstantinos
    Thank you for checking!

Colin Jacobson likes this.
  14. Dave H

Dave H Producer

Good to hear on the framing, Colin. I suspect it's fine, but they are going nuts about it being "incorrect" at the Blu-ray site.

15. Colin Jacobson

To be fair, I'm not saying the framing isn't "incorrect" - as I've mentioned, I'm not an expert on this particular film.

I just didn't see shots that I thought looked obviously "off". The framing could well be "incorrect" but I don't think it stands out as clearly "wrong"...

Dave H likes this.
  16. Bryan Tuck

Bryan Tuck Screenwriter

Bryan Tuck
    Not sure what to think of the framing issue, but I'm just disappointed that with all the effort that went into the new 4K scan and Atmos remix, they couldn't be bothered to retain or recreate the original stylized subtitle font for the opening scenes.

A minor thing, I guess, but still part of the intended aesthetic for the film, and something that should have been relatively easy to get right on the Blu-ray (especially since it's apparently correct on the new DCP that's been making the rounds).

willyTass and davidmatychuk like this.
  17. davidmatychuk

David Matychuk
    Here are three iPod pictures of my display, with the Criterion CAV laserdisc freeze-framed. I added some contrast to the iPod pictures, but they resemble what you would see looking at the display if you were here. The script is noticeable as you can see, but I don't think every word is meant to be read; it just looks like the scene is being filmed through glass with words on it, as a kind of low-tech art design effect. The third picture is just here because of that lovely font they used. Why couldn't it have been used on the Blu-Rays? The laserdisc is the life!

IMG_2720.JPG IMG_2721.JPG IMG_2722.JPG

18. Dr Griffin

Zxpndk
    Yep, hugely disappointing about the stylized in-film subtitle font not being retained, especially for those of us laying down the long green for the limited edition.

19. andySu

andySu Cinematographer

Why am I watching Dracula Laserdisc at 3am?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

20. davidmatychuk

David Matychuk
    Because you are a man a taste and quality who makes up his own mind about things, and because 3 A.M. is the best time to watch that movie.

andySu likes this.