What's new

BrainDead (CBS) (1 Viewer)

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Anybody else catch this last night? I watched it both because it was by Robert & Michelle King (who created "The Good Wife") and because Mary Elizabeth Winstead is playing the lead role.

Nowhere near the level of "The Good Wife", even its uneven last couple of seasons, but perfect summer programming. The satire is playful and not particularly biting, and the science fiction is purely farcical.

My favorite bit is that the the parasitic space insects really have a thing for "You Might Think" by The Cars.

Stan

Senior HTF Member
Dang it. Somehow my DVR missed it, was really looking forward to it. Oh well, hopefully find it online somewhere. Unlike cable shows, not showing 17 repeats this week.

Seemed like an odd way of advertising, like comparing "Schindler's List" to "The Transformers", but I guess a possible way to pull in more viewers.

NeilO

Senior HTF Member
We dvred it last night and looked at it tonight. I enjoyed it and am hoping that they don't extend it into multiple seasons
I read an interview and I believe they have a plan to go to Wall Street in season 2 and then (if I remember correctly) Silicon Valley in season 3.

We get Zach Grenier (David Lee on The Good Wife) in what looks like quite a different role. Some of the background music very much reminded me of The Good Wife.

It was a fun start and I plan on seeing where it goes.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
I'm enjoying how the mystery of the space ants is amping up. Clearly they have an intolerance to alcohol. Hopefully that tidbit will come in handy later.

The "previously on" montage with Jonathan Coulton recapping the prior episode's events in song was just brilliant.

I'm glad the little dying cancel girl got her moment with the Lincoln Memorial. Laurel was right to ask how we could have fallen so far from that inspired rhetoric. And the little girl was right to point out that Lincoln's times were at least as screwed up as modern times. We're still waiting for out Gettysburg Address to emerge.
(Click to enlarge)
HD_AddressMemorial2cz[1].jpg

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
I watched the pilot. It was ok. I like the quirkiness and ridiculous satire and the unsettling violence against the Cars. I think I gave it slack because of the show runners. However, my wife didn't care for it. I'm recording it still, but not being part of regular evening viewing, I don't know if and when I'll get to watching subsequent episodes.

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
I watched the pilot. It was ok. I like the quirkiness and ridiculous satire and the unsettling violence against the Cars. I think I gave it slack because of the show runners. However, my wife didn't care for it. I'm recording it still, but not being part of regular evening viewing, I don't know if and when I'll get to watching subsequent episodes.
I think I like it more than you, but am hoping it gets better. Same situation in my house, my wife is not digging it either.

NeilO

Senior HTF Member
I wonder whether we will get one head explosion per episode. I enjoyed the second episode.

I wasn't quite clear on the detail, but I was wondering how that one character could be locked inside a bathroom in the house. I didn't notice anything propped against the door on the outside, but maybe I missed it.

Stan

Senior HTF Member
Got lucky and they did repeat episode one on the 19th, but looks like the one time they'll do it. I think it's Monday only from now on. But now have eps. 1 & 2 on the DVR, looking forward to a mini binge this weekend. Sounds like the perfect piece of fluff for summer viewing.

Odd they use "The Good Wife" to help promote it, since it's obviously not a high quality drama.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
I've been catching up with "Veep", and I watched tonight's new episode of "BrainDead" right after. "Veep" is a comic powerhouse that makes me laugh out loud at least three times an episode, so I was expecting this show is really pale in the direct comparison. But what they're doing is so different that it wasn't really an issue.

I loved the deliberately paced oddness of this show.

ChristopherG

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris
Both my wife and I are all in on this. Binge-watched all 3 episodes via on demand last night. Cast is great, story is sufficiently interesting and as mentioned the off kilter nature of the production is all adding up to good fun.

Love Mary Elizabeth Winstead....

v1.cjs0ODAyMDtqOzE3MDE1OzIwNDg7MzAwMDszMDAw

Last edited:

NeilO

Senior HTF Member
Watched Monday night's episode last night. More twists and turns. It has been fun and they have continued the run of at least 1 brain splat per episode.

Stan

Senior HTF Member
This show is so strange, yet oddly very enjoyable. Yes the bugs in the ears, exploding heads and changing personalities are weird, but it works.

Thought it would be complete garbage, but it's pretty decent.

NeilO

Senior HTF Member
Another brain splat this week, but in a different way this time.

Things are really heating up.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Moving to Sundays at 10pm, starting July 24, to avoid the political convention coverage.

Stan

Senior HTF Member
Doing a little three episode binge off the DVR. Thoroughly enjoying it, but I think this is a one and done summer show, not running multiple seasons like "Falling Skies" or "Under the Dome".

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
Doing a little three episode binge off the DVR. Thoroughly enjoying it, but I think this is a one and done summer show, not running multiple seasons like "Falling Skies" or "Under the Dome".
I hope you're wrong.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks