What's new

Bought my first Blu-ray disks today (1 Viewer)

Ron-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron
No player "yet" but it's coming, as soon as I figure out which one, a stand alone for certain, no PS3, mostly likely the Panny. But, I figure might as well start buying the movies.

Yes, Ultraviolet was the first BRD I bought. I sat in CC today and watched about 30 minutes of it on a 50" Samsung and it looked every bit as good as HD-DVD stuff.

Ron-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron
No multi-channel analog outputs for PCM and advanced Dolby and DTS codecs.

Phil Garcia

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Phil Garcia
Oh I see.

Slightly off topic, but does this mean I cant do 5.1 PCM uncompressed on my PS3? Or just 7.1?

Sorry again, but now Im a bit worried.

Jeff Adkins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Adkins
But it can be done with an HDMI receiver, correct?

Ron,
I've done the same thing. I've already started buying some BD discs, but probably won't pick up the PS3 until January after CES. My original plan was to build up a library of Blu-Ray discs and pick up a player in the summer. The only problem is once you have a few of those discs in hand, you really want to play them. It's hard just having them on the shelf. Plus the PS3 has received such great reviews that I don't think I can go wrong for $499.

Dave Mack

Senior HTF Member
Congrats, Ron!
There will be some new blu water for the Driftwood theater to sail on..!
My PS3 is SUPPOSSED to be delivered today if freakin' UPS can find the house! (They've missed it before!) so hopefully I will be checking it out tonite!
keep us informed and happy holidays!

:) d

Ron-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron
Yes. Myself, I don't plan to go HDMI 1.3 for a while so I need the analog connections.

Sorry to hear Dave, I'm sure they'll find it. But if they don't you can give them my addy instead.:)

Jeff, I know how you feel, I am dying to spin Ultraviolet right now. I'm gonna cave sooner rather then later.

Neil Joseph

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Joseph
Congratulations Ron. I have 2 of those 3 titles (Ultraviolet & Pearl Harbor, the latter who's audio was downright phenomenal in pcm5.1 cranked). Check out the thread "what BR titles do you have?" in the BR Hardware section for some other good titles that you can add to your growing collection.

SVTStingRay

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Daniel
damn i was gonna start doing that next week too (buying the movies until i get my ps3), glad im not the only one!
as far as pearl harbor, is it the original or the directors cut?

Neil Joseph

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Joseph
Ron, I have the Panasonic blu-ray player. Totally 100% glitch-free with my very varied collection of disks (vc1, mpeg2, avc, dd, dts, pcm, dtsHD, ddTrueHD, bd25, bd50, you name it). Again, there is a lot more info in the Panasonic thread in the BR Hardware section if you need it.

Phil Garcia

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Phil Garcia
OK, so if I buy a HDMI reciever, and have the PS3 use HDMI for video and audio, I can get PCM 5.1 uncompressed correct?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks