What's new

Bought a house, inherited an HD theater system, help me! (1 Viewer)

vraeside

Auditioning
Real Name
Vance
OK,
I bought a home, and the seller left the theater room as part of the package.
I'm new to high end electronics - I'm coming from owning a 36" Sony television with some bose tower speakers and a Sony DVD plalyer.

Here's what I have:
1. Projector - Toshiba TDP-MT800 Digital Projector
2. Receiver - Kenwood VR-8070 Surround Receiver
3. Screen - DA-LITE/PERM WALL 52x92 (16:9 HDTV Projection)
4. Speakers - There are 8 speakers.
- Center Channel and LF & RF are Polk Audio
- Side Rear Left & Side Rear Right ? are Atlantic
- Infinity Sub and small Infinity Left Back & Right Back
All the wall speakers are placed within the wall at specific points but I can access the cords at the back by moving the speakers.
- The previous owner also has a power cable running to the main control area.

DVD Player - currently, it's my Sony DVP-360 which supports component video, but I bought it around 6 years ago / maybe more?

When I put in "The Matrix" - and played the sound very loud, the movie clipped and then shut down the entire receiver. If I keep it at a decent level, it doesn't shut down, but I don't want this problem.

Also - I've noticed when it's operating at 1080i for sports, sometimes the picture "clips" or "adjusts" - this happens 1x every 30th show or so - ie - it doesn't happen with any frequency, I've just noticed it on a couple of occassions when I was watching a football game.

I've subscribed to the HD channels through my cable provider and hooked that up fine - no problems.

1. What kind of DVD player should I buy which will give me good quality and avoid the issues with clipping? Do I need special cables?
2. Any feedback on my current receiver and or things I should be aware of / possibly replace?
3. Any advice to enhance viewing/sound experience... it seems sometimes I can't get the receiver to play true surround sound- it shows as "analog" vs. THX or Digital?
4. General advice - I'm new to the forums, so I will be surfing, but anyone to point in right direction would be appreciated.
5. Finally - I bought 3 theater chairs w/ power recline, storage, cup holders - should I buy the butt kickers? is it worth it?

Thanks for any advice in advance.

Sami Kallio

Screenwriter

A good subwoofer might be a better idea, it depends on your personal taste. A good sub at decent volumes will give you a better impact IMO. Lots of options on that front and a lot of it is covered already in these forums so hit the search button (hint keywords: SVS, HSU, "DIY sub")

vraeside

Auditioning
Real Name
Vance

So you say a better sub vs. the butt kickers - ok, but is my current sub woofer bad?

Sami Kallio

Screenwriter
Can't really tell without the model number but if you are considering buttkickers then I would say yes.

Get a sound pressure level (SPL) meter and AVIA calibration DVD, then search for instructions on how to use them.

Brent_S

Second Unit
Run, don't walk to RadioShack and get that SPL meter. Unless something is broken/miswired/misconfigured, you're probably well in to the hearing damage range if you're driving that receiver into shutdown in only a 15'x15' room. OSHA tables for noise exposure.

Adam Gregorich

What to watch tonight?
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam
The receiver shut down bothers me as well. It could be it was being over driven, or it could be that it doesn't have adequate ventalation and is overheating during normal use when it shouldn't. There might also be a power problem. In addition to what everyone else has said I would consider looking into replacing some of the surround speakers so you have ones with matching drivers for "cleaner" sound pans.

First priority: Find out why receiver is clipping/shutting down.
Second: New DVD-type player
Third: Sub
Fourth: new rear speakers.

ScottCHI

Screenwriter
None of the speakers' drivers or crossovers are blown, are they? Because a blown speaker can make a receiver shut down at higher levels like that, as well.

vraeside

Auditioning
Real Name
Vance
Thanks for the feedback. I will get the SPL meter and upgrade my DVD player. I thought it might be a power issue as well, but there is an upgraded power cord/plug for the components so I'd be suprised if it were power. I will keep working and get it resolved.
Thanks again.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks