What's new

Bought a DVP-CP72P today (1 Viewer)

Kevin Nolan

Stunt Coordinator
Got it from Video Only $184.00 after the $30 rebate will pick it up tomorrw can't wait!
Still wondering what the 4:4:4 signal processing is which is available on the 82 but not the 72 according to the Panny website. Will let you know how it compares to my Tosh SD-5109 soon.
Kevin

MikeSh

Stunt Coordinator
I got the same thing today myself from CC. Payed a lil more but it was the best I could find with S&H figured in.

Patrick TX

Stunt Coordinator
I got the black one from onecall last week. The build quality is a joke compared to my Sony DVP-S7700. But the price & the picture SMOKES IT. VERY PLEASED, and no chroma bug. I hooked it to a brand new Mitsubishi WS-55511 yesterday, and I'm amazed. I've never seen a DVD image look so sharp.

Sean L

Stunt Coordinator
I have had the CP72 for about a week now, PQ and SQ are much improved over my Sony DVP-S360, but I agree, the build quality doesn't look so hot.

And the remote is terrible! But for around $200, I guess we can't complain!

Sean in Nor Cal

Jamey F

Stunt Coordinator
many, if not most, of us don't use the supplied remotes anyway. I agree the player seems light as a feather, cheap, and kinda tacky looking. After I hooked it up though, I know it's no joke. It is easily the player my Toshiba 3109 (I think thats the model number) is as far as picture quality. Plus, 5 disc capacity and mp3 support. I can't see any reason to get something else, unless you don't want 5 disc support, or you absolutely need top notch red book from your dvd player. If I want a better cd player, I will get the later. I'm not much into cd's now. My system is set up for HT, and so this player was perfect. Here's hoping it lasts longer than it feels.

Patrick TX

Stunt Coordinator
I'm having some buyers remorse big time. This player has a zoom function on the remote, but won't scale non Anamorphic content in the progressive mode. I didn't buy a damn new 55" HDTV to still be looking at black bars. There are only a few Chroma Bug free players that zoom.

JasonLC

Stunt Coordinator
Patrick the CP72/RP82 only has a 4:3 ZOOM Function whcih will just zoom in on the picture with a 2X zoom one time. To scale the non-anamorphic content in progressive mode you will need to use your HDTV's zoom modes get rid of the black bars. Is your HDTV locked in progressive mode? If so you will have to use the CP72 in interlaced mode(which looks a little darker then progressive, but still looks really good) and then use your TV's zoom modes to get rid of the black bars. If you actually have tons of the less then 100 non-anamorphic DVDs that are out there and your HDTV does lock into progressive mode, then the CP72 might not be your best choice and I would recommend the JVC XV-SA600(Chroma Bug Free) since it has the second best progressive picture(Little bit softer)compared to the CP72/RP82, and it has full scaling abilities done either automatically or manually,and it can do up to a 1024X ZOOM incrementally. You can get it for around $200 right now. I have the RP82 and a Toshiba 57H81 which doesn't lock into progressive mode and I use one of its zoom modes to fix the bars and it still looks crystal clear even using the TV's zoom modes. Toshiba has excellent zoom modes on their HDTVs though which is very important especially when it comes to this or for 4:3 viewing. I hope this helps you.

Patrick TX

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks Jason. You are correct 100% on all accounts. Even reading my mind! I was up until 2AM researching DVD players, & the XV-SA600BK was what looked to be the player for me. It seems to be a more featured player, ie optical & coax, gold rca's, scaling, etc. The display looks bigger as well, as I can't even read the Pannys sitting down. The JVC is quite smaller depth-wise as well. I actually prefer a little softer picture, especially going from the Sony DVP-S7700 interlaced to a CP-72 in progressive. This Panny is RAZOR SHARP, but it's gotta go. I ordered the JVC last night from ecost.com for $177. It also comes with a rebate for a free Resevoir Dogs SE DVD AND a Yes concert on DVD Audio! I'm glad I didn't hack off the UPC for the rebate on the Panny yet!

JasonLC

Stunt Coordinator
Patrick,

The JVC XV-SA600 is a very feature packed and reliable DVD Audio/Video machine. It offers superior multi-format disc playback as well as a nice slightly softer progressive picture then the CP72. Alot of people like a little softer picture. The picture on th JVC will look alot better then the Sony 7700 you have. :) I still have my JVC XV-SA70 from over a year and a half ago and I have nothing but rave reviews about it. It is a very durable player and plays every kind of disc you through at it. Hell, you could pop a piece of bread in the disc tray and it would toast it for you and spit it back out.(J/K) I myself prefer a little bit sharper picture which my RP82 gives me on my 57" thats why I moved it to the 27" in the bedroom. I had a first gen Sony DVP-S3000(Same video guts as your Sony 7700)before the JVC and the JVC blew the pants off the Sony in interlaced and progressive picture quality. I also went through 2 CP72's and both had rolling white horizontal bands across the screen even during disc playback which was caused by poor grounding in the component outputs. I gave up on the CP72 and got the RP82 which doesn't have any problems. I am waiting on my XP50 which is built much better then the RP82 to arrive this morning, so the RP82 might be retired if the XP50 performs the same. I feel JVCs are definitely built better then Panasonics for the long run. We will see. Enjoy your new player as it should give you many eyars to come..

JasonLC

Stunt Coordinator
BTW didn't the depth size of the CP72 and the crappy small LCD display bother you like it bothered me? The RP82 has a much bigger LCD display and is less then half the size of the CP72. :)

Patrick TX

Stunt Coordinator
YES and YES! The scaling is what was the deal killer though. It is still a nice player, but the remote stinks. The JVC should be here on Thursday. Fedex overnight was $9.99, or $18 if you factor ecost's stupid "handling charge". I wonder what I'm going to do with the Panny now? I don't think I can return it to onecall. I also don't think ANY of the B&M's are stocking the CP72K (Black). The XP-50 looks to be nice! I can't let the Silver stuff creep in though! Too bad the Denon 1600 doesn't scale. It would have been the perfect player for me possibly. I'm hoping the JVC will suffice :)

JasonLC

Stunt Coordinator
BTW the JVC has a nicely setup and solid remote. I just had my flimsy plastic Apex-like RP82 remote out just long enough to program it into my Sony RM-AV3000 LCD Remote Commander. ;-) If I were you I would return the UPC code on the CP72 and get your $30 Mail-In rebate and at the same time sell it on Ebay. You might come close to even if you get a sucker.

Dan_R_M

Stunt Coordinator
You could also look at the yamaha DVD-C920. It has all the features of the cp72 including 4:4:4 signal processing and no chroma bug (like the cp72). It also has very good audio for regular cd playing. You can find it for less than 400...although it is hard to find any reviews on it. Not sure why. Here are the specs on it
http://www.yamaha.com/yec/products/DVD/DVDcomp.htm
-dan

Patrick TX

Stunt Coordinator
I'm using a Yamaha RAV3000 (Pronto TSU-2000) as a remote currently. I really enjoy my Yamaha Receiver (RX-V1), and was interested in the Yamaha DVD-S2300. The Panasonic RP-82 & CP-72 do NOT have the chroma bug BTW. The chroma bug is a symptom of the MPEG decoder, not the chip choice. The new Pannys have the RP-91's MPEG decoder, thus Chroma Bug free. They also have the Sage DCDI chipset. I was not aware that the Yamaha's were Chroma Bug free. A Sage DCDI chip does not mean it doesn't have the bug.

Dan_R_M

Stunt Coordinator
Sorry, I meant the cp72 does not have the chorma bug...ugh, but now I am confused...i thought if the player has the sage chip it wouldn't have the chroma bug? I thought i had this figured out.

Henry Colonna

Stunt Coordinator
I am frustrated with sequential mode. The manual totally conflicts itself, saying it won't work with DVD-Video but then later on telling you how to set it. It won't work for me.

Also, I'm really annoyed that I can't seem to get any of the extra angles working with my Planet of the Apes DVD. Some of the scenes have extra, or alternate angles. I could never ever ever get it work right with my JVC SA-70BK or now my Panny CP72. I've sat with the manuals on both and tried and tried. I don't know what the heck I could be doing wrong!!

Kevin Nolan

Stunt Coordinator
It's Christmas Eve and I have not much time to play But here are my initial impressions.
Build quality: I've seen better and I've seen alot worse.
Display: Is small but usable.
Remote: Could be much improved even my 14 year old son said it looked and felt like a block of plastic but I use a TCL 1000.
Looks: Looks fine to me.
But the reason I bought it picture and sound:
The picture is awesome on my 2yr old Sony KP53HS10. A improvement over my Tosh 5109 which has a great pic anyway.
The sound is fine and now I can hold off on buying a receiver with DTS (my 3yr old ONK only had DD) and I can play my DVD-A discs I hope Santa brings!
For $185 it ROCKS....so far.
Merry Christmas!
Kevin

Kevin Nolan

Stunt Coordinator
Just watched a portion of SWAOTC on this new player GooD GOD the picture is awesome vibrant, sharp the color is incredible. my Tosh was great but this is amazing!
BUT I am bothered by the DVD logo when the machine is stopped, my Tosh had a screen saver does this logo go away after 10 or 15 minutes or do I have to watch out for burn-in?
Kevin

Patrick TX

Stunt Coordinator
Well, mine is acting up big time. I was watching a few DVD's over Christmas, and all was fine. Last night, I was watching Santana & Sade & BAM! It was pixelizing BAD, & locking up on both discs. The Audio would switch from DTS/DD to PL as well, like I was in the menu. I checked all the cables, & still it does it. I wonder what the problem is?

Patrick TX

Stunt Coordinator
The problem was the discs. Each DVD had a fingerprint on it. I'm amazed that a fingerprint could wreak so much havoc!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks