What's new

Boston /Providence area. HDTV ? (1 Viewer)

Steve G

Agent
I know some of the stations are doing HDTV so:
1. Are they being done in 4:3 or 16:9?
2. I can pick up all locals in both areas with an outdoor ant. Does that mean i have a good shot at the HD signals?
I am looking at the Hitachi 61SDX01B 2000 Model http://hitachi.com/products/consumer/audiovisual/digitaltv/dtvsdx/halp-ZZZ6Y0RJIAC.html
and the Sony 53HS10, which I know you're all familiar with.
Both sets are 4:3. If these stations are doing 16:9, I will probably reconsider my options.
Thanks for any and all thoughts and help.
Steve
PS. Will these sets work with the RCA DTC100 STB?
Thanks again.

RoyGBiv

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Steven Kempner
Steve:
I live in Pawtucket which I figure is about 30 to 35 miles from the new Boston transmitting tower (see the very long thread on this tower at avsforum.com). With a Rat Shack antenna in my attic using the DTC-100 tuner I get excellent reception from ABC, NBC, CBS and FOX affiliates transmitting a DTV signal. PBS is supposed to start transmitting in mid March. The NBC affiliate does not transmit anything in HD (not even Leno), and is always 4:3. They have stated that they will not transmit HD until NBC has worthwhile HD programming. The FOX affiliate transmits FOX shows that are in 480p format 16:9 in that format, otherwise transmits the usual signal digitally. Until this weekend, they were stretching it to 14:9. Now it seems they are letting the user decide what to do. FOX does not have any true HD programming. The ABC affiliate stretches everything. It does transmit any ABC HD programming in HD. The CBS affiliate sends out a 16:9 signal all the time, but letter boxes 4:3 programming to keep that ratio. CBS has the most HD programming, and it looks great from the CBS affiliate in Boston.
What this means is that for ABC and CBS you won't be able to adjust the ratio on your TV. With a 4:3 TV you will have letterboxing all around. With a 16:9 ratio TV, you will at least only have bars on the sides when watching a 4:3 signal. I think a 16:9 TV is the way to go if you are interested in HD. On the other hand, it is still likely that most OTA programming will be in 4:3 for a long time to come.
None of the Providence stations have even announced plans to start transmitting digitally at some time in the future.
Both of the TVs you mentioned should work with the DTC-100. The only sets that have had significant problems with this tuner are the Panasonic HDTVs.
Good luck whatever you decide.
SMK

Steve G

Agent
Steve:
Thanks for all the information. It'll take me a little while to digest, there's so much. The Fall River Sears Outlet has about 5-6 Sony 53SH10 sets and a couple of the Hitachi's. They are selling them anywhere from $1750 to $1800. Some are demos and some returns.They all come with full warrantees,but have some cosmetic damage.I can get the 5 year mainteance agreement for $450. It seems like a real good deal. I'm not sure about getting the RCA HD tuner right away,but I just wanted to make sure it would be compatible.
Thanks agian
Steve

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks