ER in HDTV in Boston area?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by David Yon, Sep 18, 2001.

1. David Yon

David Yon Agent

Oct 24, 1999
    I'm sure this has been asked repeatedly, but I'll ask again: any word on NBC's ER being broadcast in HDTV? If so, will the Boston-area affiliate (WHDH) be broadcasting it in HD? If not ER, is there any interesting OTA programming in HD in the Boston area?
    I'm down in Providence, and am debating whether to pick up a DST3000 for my TW40X81. I'd love to get ER in HD, but the overhead is high:
    • cost of the STB, antenna, rotor
    • installation headache of outdoor antenna
    • STB/rotor-controller clutter in the TV room
    • yet another AV signal path in the system
    That's a lot of hassle, and if ER is still in NTSC then I think I'd rather wait.
  2. Mike I

Mike I Supporting Actor

Jan 20, 2000
    There has been nothing from nbc so far on any programming being in HD...ER along with 3 other of nbc's drama will be widescreen but nothing said about HD..
  3. Chip_Slattery

Chip_Slattery Stunt Coordinator

Jan 10, 2001
    As mentioned NBC has not announced plans for any additional HD programming, and since WHDH doesn't even pass along the one HD show NBC does provide (Tonight Show) I can't imagine they (WHDH) are chomping at the bit for any more.
    As for other HD programming, both WCVB(ABC) and WBZ(CBS) broadcast all of the HD that is made available from the networks. WCVB has also shown a few episodes of the locally produced "Chronicle" in HD. WGBH(PBS) has been promising HD for quite some time. I believe they are about to start beta-testing, but I wouldn't hold my breath.
    Personally I have found the investment in HD equipment to be well worth the effort, but I also have the benefit of DISH network so I am not limited to OTA HD. YMMV.