What's new

Boston Acoustics VR-M60 vs. Paradigm Studio 20 (1 Viewer)

Randy:S

Auditioning
Which is the better speaker? I have a pair of Boston Acoustic VR-M60's, but considering purchasing the Paradigm Studio 20's

Rokzi

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Rodel
Hey Randy... "better" is going to be hard to pinpoint.
I have heard the both VR-M50 (step-down from the VRM-60) and the Studio 20s.

I find the VRM50 very forward and a little harsh.. while the Studio 20s sound better to me overall... I find that vocals tend to be laid back on the 20s.

But the thing is... you are likely to perceive it a little (or a lot) different than I do.

The only way you're really be able to tell which one is better to you is if you go and listen to them yourself.

I just went through that process. If it helps you can check my posting
here

PaulDA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul
My final two choices (after 40 speakers and 15 brands) were exactly what you're looking at. VR-M60s vs Studio 20s. I liked each of them a lot and would have been happy with either. In the end, I found the bass extension of the 60s to be better, and I found the overall Boston sound more "detailed" (read uncoloured).

It was a very close call. Tough choice, but I don't think you'll be disappointed by either one.

Good luck.

Evan M.

Supporting Actor
I have heard both quite a bit. I would have to give the nod to Boston because I like the detailed sound that Bostons offer. And like Paul said they will go lower. Boston is not spoken a lot around internet communities but I think if people go out and audition their lines they will see that they offer just as much bang for the buck as Paradigm.

Auditioning
The main reason for looking at Paradigm's was I am looking to upgrade my center channel to match my BA's (VR-MC) and in-wall rear speakers. I am unable to find a local dealer that carries BA's and the wife gave me permission to purchase new speakers!. Here's what I'm considering purchasing: Paradigm Studio 20 (Main),
CC-470 (Center) and SA-25 (in-wall rears). These will be running off a Yamaha RX-V800 receiver. This is still up in the air if I can find the VR-MC center channel and BA in-wall rears.

PaulDA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul
If you want to save some money (though you should do your own audition, of course) consider the VRC instead of the VR-MC. I found them almost indistinguishable (in fact, off axis, I found the VRC slightly better) and saved 200$. I love my VR-M60s (FL/FR) and VR-M50s (SL/SR) but found the VR-MC the weak link in the line. Not a bad speaker, mind you, and blends very well with the other VR-Ms, but so does the VRC.

Just a suggestion.

Evan M.

Supporting Actor
Yep....I agree with Paul 100%. I would definately look at the VRC over the VRMC. It does not warant the 200$ more in price. To be honest with you....any Boston speaker that has the aluminum dome tweeter will match with the VRM line. That includes speaker of the past. So to list a few that I can think of that has the Aluminum dome; Vr10, Vr12, Vr910, Vr920, Bravo, Micro 90II center, VRC adn obviously the VRMC. To me the best of the bunch are the Vr12 and 920.....very closely followed by the VRC. I have heard all of them listed and and that was my opinion.

Tah_Chai

Auditioning
I've auditioned both Boston Acoustics VR series and Paradigm monitor series (both floor standings), the Boston wins me over. Though both models are different from what you are currently looking at.

Boston sound is a trademark. I like their neutrality, clarity, controlled bass, and pin-point imaging.

There was a review and discussion about bookshelf speakers shoot out at AVS forum. Boston appears to be the top. Read the review and discussions here
avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?threadid=506421&highlight=boston+acoustics

billybob_jcv

Stunt Coordinator
Hey Randy:S, if you want to come north a couple of hours, they have Boston's at Wilshire Home Entertainment in Thousand Oaks, CA. www_wilshirehe_com I listened to a pair of BA VR-3 and VRB there today and really liked both of them. Wilshire has nice guys working there too (I have no affiliation).

They also had a few BA's at Magnolia Home Theater - which for some odd reason is located *inside* the Thousand Oaks Best Buy. www_magnoliaav_com

Different name, same old BB story - two guys fiddled with the showroom system for about 15 minutes trying to get some Def Techs going, then proclaimed "they aren't hooked-up right, they will sound better than this..." One guy spent 10 minutes telling me I should get towers without a sub, then a second guy came in and told me I should get bookshelfs with a sub. But I digress...

Evan S

Senior HTF Member
I used to own the version 2 of Paradigm Reference and bought them at the same time I auditioned the Boston VR-M60's. I only got the Paradigm's because at that time, with the Canadian dollar being in the toilet, I was able to drive to Canada and pick them up at a 45% savings over the Boston's. Otherwise I would have gotten the Bostons. I think they win hands down on female vocals and seeing as that makes up a lot of my music collection, I would have preferred those. The differences were not quantifiable, but purely emotional. The Boston's just spoke to me in a way the Paradigms did not, which is why I eventually sold the Paradigms.

(Did I then buy the Bostons? No, I went with an all ACI lineup of Sapphires, Emeralds, Essence and Titan and couldn't be happier, but that's a story for another day). Go with the Bostons.

Evan M.

Supporting Actor
hmmmmmm........I might be guessing but considering this thread is 2 months old I am sure he probably has made his decision already billybob;).

Auditioning
Well, I decided to redo my entire entertainment system. Purchased the following.

Pioneer Plasma Elite PRO-920
Paradigm Studio 20 Main
B&W FPM-4 Center
Paradigm AMS-250 In-wall Rear
Boston PV600 Sub

Still have the BA's will use them for another system.

Auditioning
I still love the Boston Sound and will be using them for strictly Music. Thanks to those who responded.

Eric:F

Stunt Coordinator
for our dedicated ht set up, we went with Salk HTS.
but for music only, we still have Boston Acoustic towers.
love that Boston sound...
eric

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks