BOSE Wave Radio-CD player

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Bill-DC, Feb 24, 2003.

1. Bill-DC

Bill-DC Auditioning

I looked for a topic about this here and can't find anything at Consumer Reports. So has anyone had experiences with one of these? We have one in our office and it sounds great but at $500 for a CD/radio is rather steep if you ask me. Thanks.

2. Brett DiMichele

Brett DiMichele Producer

What do you want to hear? Most of us here are anti bose.
    And not just for the sake of being anti bose either. I
    believe there are other solutions to the Wave Radio that
    will provide much better sound in the same price point.
    Some examples would be the Nakamichi Sound Space, Denon
    and Onkyo Executive Mini Systems etc.

I set my mother up with an Onkyo Executive Mini System and
    a Sony SA-WM20 (8") Sub for less than $500.00 and I KNOW
    it sounds better than the Wave Radio (I have heard the Wave
    and her Onkyo Mini system would blow it out of the water)
    and it doesn't take up any more space.. You get 2 nice
    speakers 2 components (tuner/amp and a seperate 3 disk
    changer) and the SA-WM20 sub is small and can be stuck
    under a desk.

3. John Royster

John Royster Screenwriter

Bill,

My parents have a bose wave radio. It sounds perfectly good for a clock radio or mini system and I would really be impressed.

I would be impressed if it costs 60 bucks. Seriously, that's what it sounds like. A 60 dollar clock radio or mini system.

There are lots of other minis out there with real speakers (even real tiny ones). Check out this link..

quick look at crutchfiled mini systems

4. Rob Rodier

Rob Rodier Supporting Actor

I had one a little while back that I got as a gift and I totally concur with the above. Even a $150 mini shelf system from aiwa will blow it away.

-rob

5. Bill-DC

Bill-DC Auditioning

My wife and I are looking for something that doesn't take a lot of space to put in our living room and the bedroom as well. I used Bose to start because we have one at work and it sounds great in our lobby. There are better and cheaper alternatives and I appreciate the replies and recommendations.

Bill

6. ChristopherBer

ChristopherBer Stunt Coordinator

I know Boston Acoustics has a new radio that isn't too big you might wanna check it out. I think it cost less than $200. The Bose has a nice size and decent sound but the price is a bit too much.

7. Andy_SB

Andy_SB Agent

8. MarkO

MarkO Second Unit

9. Sathyan

Sathyan Second Unit

http://www.geek.com/hwswrev/conel/tabrads/

This article compares three table radios: Kloss Model One, CSW Model 88, & Bose Wave. They rate the CSW highest.

I've only heard the Kloss and Bose; of those I found the Kloss produced a more appealing sound at a greater variety of attenuations.

I actually don't use any of these as they lack shortwave functionality. I use a Grundig SW/MW/FM radio I picked up in Budapest for $40. It has a respectable speaker but is best when used with my Grado 'phones.

10. ChrisWiggles

ChrisWiggles Producer

Anyone heard those little tivoli radios? I've not heard them, but I see 'em at all the dealers around here. I've never been looking for anything of that sort, so i've not taken a listen, but just curious, maybe that is another good recommendation? Maybe not also, but I'm sure someone has heard one.

11. Michael Marklund

Michael Marklund Stunt Coordinator

I'll throw in my $0.02,

About 2+ years ago I was looking at the Bose Wave. Luckily I didn't buy it. Came across the JBL Harmony. (yeah, JBL the speaker company.) Anyways, it's a dual alarm, 3 speaker, single cd setup. Twice as tall as a Wave but not as big of a footprint. Two speakers are mid/highs, the other is the "sub" woofer. No, it's not a $100k refernce sounding system. It is a hell of a good sounding clock radio though. Bummer part is that it's discontinued. Try eBay to locate one. Were $350 new, used..???

Don't know about this price, but here's a photo:
    http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/AS...493596-8291855

Regards,
    Michael

12. Chris A H

Chris A H Stunt Coordinator

You can still get the Cambridge Soundworks Model 88 w/CD player at some of the their stores. I purchased a "B" stock unit myself about a month ago for $150. Great sound.

Chris

13. ChrisAG

ChrisAG Supporting Actor

I purchased the Tivoli Model One (same as Kloss?) as a Christmas present for my Mom. It sounds great, has a fantastic tuner, and is small and attractive with a real wood finish. Despite its having only one speaker, it sounds VERY impressive, with good bass and tone. The tuner sensitivity easily beats the one in my Dad's Yamaha RX-V490 and my own Marantz SR6200.

14. MarkO

MarkO Second Unit

The Tivoli Model 3 (clock radio) will be available early April. $199.00. There will be an available matching 2nd speaker offered for those that want stereo. I thinks its about 40 dollars extra. It also has a subwoofer output for the matching subwoofer. ($79.00).

15. Hal_J

Hal_J Agent

these clock radios are nice, but kinda sissy.

im still working to set up my HT to wake me with a random THX trailer every morning.

at reference volume.

[​IMG]

i figure i wont need coffee anymore...

16. Garrett Lundy

Garrett Lundy Producer

Depending on your taste in music (mine runs towards armaggedon) you may wish to consider the 3-disk, 460watt JVC Mx-GT90 "Gigatube" shelf system for $399.[​IMG]