What's new

BOSE Wave Radio-CD player (1 Viewer)

Bill-DC

Auditioning
I looked for a topic about this here and can't find anything at Consumer Reports. So has anyone had experiences with one of these? We have one in our office and it sounds great but at $500 for a CD/radio is rather steep if you ask me. Thanks.

Brett DiMichele

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brett
What do you want to hear? Most of us here are anti bose.
And not just for the sake of being anti bose either. I
believe there are other solutions to the Wave Radio that
will provide much better sound in the same price point.
Some examples would be the Nakamichi Sound Space, Denon
and Onkyo Executive Mini Systems etc.

I set my mother up with an Onkyo Executive Mini System and
a Sony SA-WM20 (8") Sub for less than $500.00 and I KNOW
it sounds better than the Wave Radio (I have heard the Wave
and her Onkyo Mini system would blow it out of the water)
and it doesn't take up any more space.. You get 2 nice
speakers 2 components (tuner/amp and a seperate 3 disk
changer) and the SA-WM20 sub is small and can be stuck
under a desk.

John Royster

Screenwriter
Bill,

My parents have a bose wave radio. It sounds perfectly good for a clock radio or mini system and I would really be impressed.

I would be impressed if it costs 60 bucks. Seriously, that's what it sounds like. A 60 dollar clock radio or mini system.

There are lots of other minis out there with real speakers (even real tiny ones). Check out this link..

quick look at crutchfiled mini systems

Rob Rodier

Supporting Actor
I had one a little while back that I got as a gift and I totally concur with the above. Even a $150 mini shelf system from aiwa will blow it away.

-rob

Bill-DC

Auditioning
My wife and I are looking for something that doesn't take a lot of space to put in our living room and the bedroom as well. I used Bose to start because we have one at work and it sounds great in our lobby. There are better and cheaper alternatives and I appreciate the replies and recommendations.

Bill

ChristopherBer

Stunt Coordinator
I know Boston Acoustics has a new radio that isn't too big you might wanna check it out. I think it cost less than $200. The Bose has a nice size and decent sound but the price is a bit too much.

Andy_SB

Agent
I know Boston Acoustics has a new radio that isn't too big you might wanna check it out. I think it cost less than $200.
I think the Recepter Radio is what you're referring to. It's $159 directly from Boston Acoustics. However, it doesn't have a CD player, which I believe Bill is looking for.

Other than that, I'd echo everyone else's comments. My in-laws have a Wave Radio/CD and they are ga-ga over it, but when they played it for me it certainly didn't blow me away. It's a small, attractive package but sound-wise you can do a lot better for the money.

- Andy

Sathyan

Second Unit
http://www.geek.com/hwswrev/conel/tabrads/

This article compares three table radios: Kloss Model One, CSW Model 88, & Bose Wave. They rate the CSW highest.

I've only heard the Kloss and Bose; of those I found the Kloss produced a more appealing sound at a greater variety of attenuations.

I actually don't use any of these as they lack shortwave functionality. I use a Grundig SW/MW/FM radio I picked up in Budapest for $40. It has a respectable speaker but is best when used with my Grado 'phones.

ChrisWiggles

Senior HTF Member
Anyone heard those little tivoli radios? I've not heard them, but I see 'em at all the dealers around here. I've never been looking for anything of that sort, so i've not taken a listen, but just curious, maybe that is another good recommendation? Maybe not also, but I'm sure someone has heard one.

Brett DiMichele

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brett
DAMN that Kloss Clock Radio is sharp.. I have heard nothing
but good things about the model-1 and the PAL's and I need
a good clock radio.. Looks like I found it! :)

Michael Marklund

Stunt Coordinator
I'll throw in my $0.02,

About 2+ years ago I was looking at the Bose Wave. Luckily I didn't buy it. Came across the JBL Harmony. (yeah, JBL the speaker company.) Anyways, it's a dual alarm, 3 speaker, single cd setup. Twice as tall as a Wave but not as big of a footprint. Two speakers are mid/highs, the other is the "sub" woofer. No, it's not a $100k refernce sounding system. It is a hell of a good sounding clock radio though. Bummer part is that it's discontinued. Try eBay to locate one. Were $350 new, used..???

Don't know about this price, but here's a photo:
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/AS...493596-8291855

Regards,
Michael

Chris A H

Stunt Coordinator
You can still get the Cambridge Soundworks Model 88 w/CD player at some of the their stores. I purchased a "B" stock unit myself about a month ago for $150. Great sound.

Chris

ChrisAG

Supporting Actor
I purchased the Tivoli Model One (same as Kloss?) as a Christmas present for my Mom. It sounds great, has a fantastic tuner, and is small and attractive with a real wood finish. Despite its having only one speaker, it sounds VERY impressive, with good bass and tone. The tuner sensitivity easily beats the one in my Dad's Yamaha RX-V490 and my own Marantz SR6200.

Brett DiMichele

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brett
Chris,

Yes the Tivoli Audio products are derived from old Kloss
designs.

I am going to get one of the new clock radio versions from
Tivoli (with an additional speaker if they offer it like
they do for the PAL)

MarkO

Second Unit
The Tivoli Model 3 (clock radio) will be available early April. $199.00. There will be an available matching 2nd speaker offered for those that want stereo. I thinks its about 40 dollars extra. It also has a subwoofer output for the matching subwoofer. ($79.00).

Brett DiMichele

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brett
Mark,

:emoji_thumbsup:

That will be on my headboard of my bed! for sure! with
the second speaker... Maybe even the sub :)

Hal_J

Agent
these clock radios are nice, but kinda sissy.

im still working to set up my HT to wake me with a random THX trailer every morning.

at reference volume.

:D

i figure i wont need coffee anymore...

Garrett Lundy

Senior HTF Member
Depending on your taste in music (mine runs towards armaggedon) you may wish to consider the 3-disk, 460watt JVC Mx-GT90 "Gigatube" shelf system for $399.:D

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks