Stereo receiver recommendations needed

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by Ed_A, Feb 4, 2004.

1. Ed_A

Ed_A Stunt Coordinator

Hi, I'm helping my in-laws set up a small stereo system. They do NOT need a 5.1 receiver but are not familiar with audio products. They were thinking about the Bose Wave radio, but I was thinking of a separate stereo receiver, CD player and a pair of speakers. This is for the dining room, so it doesn't need to play loud. Under $200 if possible; the farther under the better. [​IMG]

Can I please get some recommendations on stereo receivers (AM/FM capable with a CD player or with a CD input). I'm sure there are alternatives to the Bose Wave.

Any help would be appreciated as I'm not as familiar with non-HT receivers.

Thanks in advance,
    Ed

2. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    Actually, my dad has the wave radio and I've been fairly impressed with what it can do for it's size, though not it's price. It is not the most detailed sound, but it certainly fills the room far more than it's small size would suggest. For the just a little more though, I put together a much more accurate little system for my bedroom - Marantz PM7000 (integrated amp, no tuner), Sony CA70ES, Mordaunt Short 902s, Paradigm S26 stands, Audioquest Diamondback interconnects - for just over $1K, not including the Salamander Archetype rack that I already had.

Anyway, I'd suggest you give Cambridge Soundworks in the Great Mall a call or stop in, because I was there recently and they are clearing out a bunch of demo/open box receivers, including stereo ones, for some decent prices.

New, I'd give Onkyo TX-8211 a look.

3. John S

John S Producer

4. Ed_A

Ed_A Stunt Coordinator

John Garcia, thanks for the input. Like you said, it's the price I'm having a hard time with also...for that much I think one could put together a modest setup. I'll give Cambridge Soundworks a try and take a look at the Onkyo. Where did you get those Mordaunt Short 902s? How much do they run? I've never heard of them. Nice looking speakers. I'm asking about the speakers for myself....[​IMG]

John S, thanks for that link. That's the idea I was looking for. I haven't heard anything positive or negative about Sherwood...is it pretty decent?

Thanks for the help,
    Ed

5. Jim Rakowiecki

Jim Rakowiecki Stunt Coordinator

Getting seperate components under $200.00 will be tough.
    I guess it could be done but I wonder if you wouldn't be better off going with one of those mini or executive stereos. Many of them sound decent and it may be easier for them to use.

6. Angelo.M

Angelo.M Producer

How about something from Teac? Fits your price structure.

Teac AG-370 at J&R Music World

Teac CD-P1250 CD Player at J&R

This is their entry-level stuff, and it's quite inexpensive. I've never used it, and can't speak to the quality. I second John's recommendation of the Onkyo 211. I've played around with one and it's very nice, and quite inexpensive.

7. Ed_A

Ed_A Stunt Coordinator

Jim, thanks for the input. I think that's what might end up happening (re: the mini stereo). But the Bose Wave w/o CD is $350, and with a built in CD is $500. For $350 I thought I could come up with a comparable receiver and speakers....but maybe not...I'll have to look at those "mini stereo's" more closely.

Angelo, thanks for the links. I'm not a big fan of Teac but I've only owned one of their products and it crapped out on me. It was one of those mini/executive stereo's that Jim was talking about. This was like 1.5 years ago, and it was a cheap $100 model...so maybe getting one a little nicer might be the way to go. But I'll be checking out those links in more detail....thanks!