Cambridge Soundworks speakers for tv?

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by Laryssa, Jun 26, 2004.

1. Laryssa

Laryssa Auditioning

I have very limited space and wanted to get new speakers for my tv in my bedroom, and thought, hey, if I get one with aux input then I can get a player like the bose (haha) wave radio and have it be a cd player, too.

Well, not that I want bose, but something like the bose wave radio, I stumbled upon the Cambridge Soundworks CD Radio 740. There's a review here at pcworld.com/news/article/0%2Caid%2C113622%2C00.asp and I was wondering, has anyone ever bought one of these or had any experience with the Soundworks company?

I just want something that will give me a decent sound from my tv, and also be able to play cds and mp3's. If that sounds weird then I guess I am...I'm not at all knowledgeable in sound or speakers.

Thanks,

Laryssa

2. Nathan W.

Nathan W. Stunt Coordinator

I purchased three of the older Model 88 table radios that had no CD player by Cambridge Soundworks several years ago. They are very solidly built since most of the enclosure is for the internal 4" woofer (more accurately described as 3") - the ones I have feel like they're made from the speaker industry standard MDF material. They can go pretty loud for their size and remain clean doing it. I had one teamed up with an 8" powered subwoofer at work for a couple of years and it was impressive with the subwoofer being hidden from view. I'm not sure if the old or new models are magnetically shielded, but these radios make for a good stereo sound system for computers too, at least for LCD monitors. I don't use the radios regularly anymore, almost not at all, but none have failed operationally yet.

I imagine the newer models would be of similar quality.