What's new

Bose accoustimass 6 series II for $369.00... (1 Viewer)

Michael Webb

Stunt Coordinator
I've read that many on here say the JBL NSP1 is a FAR better buy than Bose, I've actually never heard the JBL system, and I think this Bose sounds very good. Sam's Club has is for $369, for this price, better than what I've found on the net, is it worth it?

BrentPollard

Second Unit
Were you able to do a side by side test with any other system? I think Bose "Sound good" because people are impressed that things that small put out so much sound. However once you start to do A, B comparison's then the Bose are much less impressive.;)

Tom Moran

Agent
As long as you appreciate (or don't care) that the Bose sound is achieved by means other than the traditional approach of "flat" frequency response they are a good deal at that price.

Because of their approach audiophiles generally disregard Bose and many seem downright mad at the market share they have achieved through big bucks marketing as opposed to building speakers that do not "color" the sound they put out.

Like anything, trust your ears but beware of the fact that it is no accident that you almost never find Bose speakers set up somewhere where you can compare them side by side with other brands. Bose spends a great deal of money to ensure that this is the case.

My father in law bought a set and they sound pretty good for movies but I listen to a lot of music where the gaps in their frequency response make them sound much worse than other, comparably priced speakers.

Tom

Lou Loomis

Stunt Coordinator
When I was making my recent speaker purchase, the topic of Bose came up and I told the guy I was not a fan. He said he knew of all the negative word-of-mouth Bose gets, but felt they had their place. so he put on a demo of U-571 and told me to see what I thought. Initially, as the scene started, I did think the sound stage sounded good - lot's of "sounds" coming from all over. But as soon as the depth charges started going off, it became apparent that there was a ton of distortion. it ceased to be impressive.

I read that link Stacy posted a couple weeks ago. it is excellent at explaining the Bose "situation."

Paul_Medenwaldt

Supporting Actor
Like anything, trust your ears but beware of the fact that it is no accident that you almost never find Bose speakers set up somewhere where you can compare them side by side with other brands. Bose spends a great deal of money to ensure that this is the case.
When I was recently purchasing speakers at Circuit City, there was no way for a consumer to have a side by side comparison of Bose to another product.

The Bose system was setup in the main area for customers to check out and the other systems, Polk, Infinity, Sony..etc were in the closed off rooms.

I really like the chance to go into these rooms and check out the quality of each of those speakers.

Bose was not on my shopping list so it didn't matter to me that i could not compare them with the other systems.

Paul

Phil Iturralde

Screenwriter
Performance: said:
Credit that to JBL years of experience in designing speakers that not only sound good, but actually sound even better when played dynamically louder!!!
Have fun auditioning,
Phil
===============

Frank Carter

Screenwriter
If you do care for the inobtrusive look of the Bo$e cubes, I would look at the Cambridge Soundworks Ensemble IV HT. Similar styling w/superior sound and it comes in your choice of white or black. They can be found refurb'ed on ebay by seller: hifi.com. Same people as www.hifi.com you can get 5 speakers, a passive sub, great customer service, and a 10 year warranty for under $100 shipped.
I bought this set for my fiancee and powered it off an older Onkyo receiver. It makes for an excellent budget HT. I later added a used Infinity IL100s I snagged of ebay. It really impressive for the money.
Here's a link with a little more info:
http://smr-home-theatre.org/Reviews/CSW/
If you can live w/speakers a little larger though, the JBL NSP1 would be even better.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks