What's new

Bookshelves under $500/pair recommendations? (1 Viewer)

Mike Kao

Second Unit
Right now I have a pair of birewireable Infinity HPS 1.5's up in the front ( link ). Although not exactly high-end, I find them them to be quite adequate. My rears on the other hands are jokes, so I plan on moving the 1.5's to the back and upgrading the front. Floorstanding Towers are not an option, I only need accuracy above 80hz frequencies anyway. I'd like to keep it under $500 and if possible, have a set that matches well with my Infinities. This isn't absolutely necessary however, as I could always upgrade the rears in the future. Right now I'm looking at the Infinity IL-10's, does anyone have any experiences with these speakers? I'll probably be upgrading my Infinity CC-2 center as well, so I'd get the IL-25C or IL-36C if I go the all infinity route. If I do, you think is 36C is worth the extra costs? Any other shelf/center combo suggestions are welcomed and appreciated as well!

Thomas_Berg

Screenwriter
Real Name
Thomas
go to your hifi dealer and demo some Paradigms and some B&W's. both make excellent speakers.
------------------
-Thomas
My HT

Jeffrey_Jones

Second Unit
Pick up a pair of excellent condition used Signet SL260s. They are, in my very biased opinion, the best bookshelf speaker you can find under $600. They aren't made anymore but if you have the opportunity to listen to a pair, do so. Again, just my opinion.
Thanks,
Jeff
PS - Used, you should be able to buy them for around $300/pair

Jeffrey Forner

Screenwriter
Check out the Kanadas from Adire Audio A pair costs $499 and if their quality resembles that of their subs, it should be an outstanding deal.
For something more economicaly, try looking at the Home Theater Direct Level III bookshelves. Those sell for $199/pair. I own a set of them and am really happy with them.
------------------
-J.Fo
"I believe you'd get your ass kicked saying something like that."

Brett DiMichele

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brett
Demo a pair of Acoustic Research AR15 or AR17 Bookshelfs
when you demo the other afformentioned units.
AR15 Info:
Dimensions (HxWxD): 14 5/16" x 8 11/16" x 8 1/8"
Driver complement: Plasma Transferred Diamond Hardened 1" Titanium Dome Tweeter
6 1/2" MagAlloy Monocoque Woofer
All transducers are Magnetically Shielded
Frequency response: 38Hz-23KHz ±2dB
Crossover frequency: 3.2KHz
Sensitivity: 90dB @ 2.83 Volts/Meter
System impedance: 8 Ohms Nominal
Recommended amp. power: 20 Watts~175 Watts
Finish: Black ash, cherry woodgrain
http://www.acoustic-research.com
Brett DiMichele
My Home Theater Site!
[email protected]
[Edited last by Brett DiMichele on November 10, 2001 at 06:04 PM]

Norm Strong

Stunt Coordinator
Why would you move a speaker that's entirely adequate from where it is to somewhere where it might NOT be adequate? If you don't like your rear speakers, replace them, not the fronts.
------------------
Norm Strong ([email protected])

James D

Second Unit
Mike- take a trip to Mount Kisco, NY and listen to the Triangle Titus bookshelf speakers. They are a French speaker that has remarkable sound quality for the money. They are very easy to drive and put out surprisingly good bass quality. Stereophile currently has them listed as a Class B speaker. You can find out more about them at http://www.triangle-fr.com and Link Removed Good luck in your search.

Chris PC

Senior HTF Member
I would recommend listening to a pair of PSB Image 2B's. They are efficient, deliver good clean bass and are not very expensive.
[Edited last by Chris PC on November 10, 2001 at 11:17 PM]

John Gates

Second Unit
Excellent suggestions so far. If you can find owners in your area, check out Axiom's 3MTi, Swan Diva's 2.1 bookshelf, nOrh ceramic 4.0, and nOrh Synthetic Marble 5.1.
There are MANY choices, but the above should be on anyone's short-list, IMO.
John

Thomas_Berg

Screenwriter
Real Name
Thomas
how could i forget about the Axioms! i've heard great things about them...go check them out if you can!
------------------
-Thomas
My HT

Russell _T

Supporting Actor
I have owned most of the Interlude line, and the CMMD technology is excellent. Incredible really. Infinity should get more respect these days after several years of producing mediocre products. The IL10 is probably the best value in the line,and the IL36C can hold it's own against any center in it's class. I think it is worth it over the IL25C. I don't know what the other Infinity's you have look like matching appearance wise, but it is always best to use speakers from the same line all the way around for timbre matching.
Russ

Raine Linton

Stunt Coordinator
Another vote for AR15's and AR17's. These are the HI-REZ series of Acoustic Research line. I'm running 4 AR17's for my surrounds and in a word....sweet! :)

Mike Burke

Stunt Coordinator
The BEST bookshelves I have heard UNDER $1000.00 YES twice your budget are the $450.00 pr Cambridge Soundworks M80 Newton Series speakers. These little guys are a 3 way bookshelf with an 8in woofer. I accused the salesperson of using a subwoofer because the bass was so good!
CSW offers a 45 day return policy so that is a no brainer. I would check them out!!..www.hifi.com. Plus they come with a 10 yr warranty. I have had CSW's for 7.5 years w/o any problems!!
Mike

Chris_Campbell

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Chris
I highly recommend checking out a pair of B&W 601s2. I believe they retail at $450 a pair, and you can usually talk a salesperson down about 10-15% on the price. The quality of sound from these speakers is phenomenal, and their F3 is around 70 hz, like you want it.

Tyson

Stunt Coordinator
2nd the nOrh 4.0's and the ACI Emeralds - they are simply in a class by themselves in this price range, although I have not heard the Axioms . . .

KyleS

Screenwriter
From my own experience I would recommend the Infinity IL-10 bookshelf speakers they are a great value for the dollar. Give them a listen I had them running as my mains until my IL-60's showed up and they had some decent base extension for a bookshelf and can put out some serious sound.
KyleS

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks