What's new

Bookshelf or Floorstanding? (1 Viewer)

Michael Mundy

Auditioning
My family room will be used for music listening and movies (until my basement is done). The dimensions are 17x21 with 38 foot ceilings. My wife prefers the B&W 805 Signature Series (bookshelf) and I like them too. However I'm concerned that they will not have much of a presence in such a room. If that is the case I'm thinking of getting the B&W 803 or 804s (floorstanding). The speakers will be powered by a 200w amp. Any thoughts or opinions are appreciated.

Michael__M

Stunt Coordinator
See if they will let you bring them home and audition. You will find out for sure. At that price range they should allow this.

Michael

P.S. I love towers for music. Especially in that size room.

Ben Stern

Stunt Coordinator
I have a personal preference for standmount (bookshelf) speakers and a sub. However, my "home theater" is 13 by 18 with a 9 foot ceiling. I would have my doubts as to the ability of the 805's to fill a room that size to your listening satisfaction. Perhaps you could explain your situation to your dealer and purchase them with the understanding that you might have to return them. Then again, if these are the speakers that you ultimately want, and this listening arrangement is just temporary, then just deal with the inconvienience of a low listening level until you can move them into your permanent listening room. Besides - they may turn out to play loud enough for you in your current listening room. Only by auditioning them in your home will you find out how loud they'll play.

marc_manny

Stunt Coordinator
From my understanding if you listen to a lot of music you are better off with the floor stands because most often then not they hit low notes better. In stereo mode the sub will not be used.

Marc

Marty M

Senior HTF Member
I recommend you try to audition the speakers at home before purchasing. Many dealers will allow a person to take the demo speakers home after they close on Saturday and return on Monday right after the store opens. I was able to do this with the sub I purchased.

Ben Stern

Stunt Coordinator
From my understanding if you listen to a lot of music you are better off with the floor stands because most often then not they hit low notes better. In stereo mode the sub will not be used.

Marc: Years ago, I would have agreed with your statement. However, the last few years have seen the rapid development of subs that are both powerful and accurate. A properly place and calibrated sub will "hit low notes better" than a floor stander. I've been involved in this hobby for the past 30 years and have come to the conclusion, that even a great full range floor standing speaker can benefit from a good sub - for both music and movies.

Michael Mundy

Auditioning
Thank you for your suggestions. This room will be used for entertaining, listening to music, watching TV/cable/movies, and playing video games. However once the home theater is finished in the basement (1 yr from now), the family room will mostly be used for music and basic TV watching.

Stephen Bort

Agent
38 FOOT CEILINGS? Is that a typo, or are you in a log cabin? Wow.

Anyway, if you can listen to them in your area, I'm a fan of Mirage OM series. They're great with music and could fill a large room.

Michael Mundy

Auditioning
No that is not a typo. The ceilings are 38 feet high. Window coverings are going to cost as much as the home theater. The house is being built in Annapolis, MD. The reason the ceiling is so high is that you can look down from the 2nd floor hallway into the family room. Plus there are two sets of stairs; one in the foyer and one in the family room.

Stephen Bort

Agent
Well, if you're curious, there's a Mirage dealers here

TWEETER HOME ENTERTAINMENT
585 East Ordnance Rd.
Glen Burnie, MD 21060

BryanZ

Screenwriter
Five words: Dedicated music/home theater room. Your cubic footage borderlines insane (over 13,500). Get the system into a much smaller space (heck, eliminate the ceiling height by 24' or more) and you will save a ton of money.

Joey_V

Second Unit
my parents house is somewhat like that - cathedral ceiling living room. no way in heck did we put the ht set there - u wont get decent bass response me thinks - everything else should still sound right tho.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks