What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

Bonjour Tristesse (1 Viewer)

haineshisway

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bruce
Over the years I've owned a rather large number of dye transfer prints, ranging from classics like The Wizard of Oz, Singin' in the Rain, and Vertigo, to the Bond films and many, many others. In my top ten of lustrous and stunning dye transfer prints was always Bonjour Tristesse. It was stunning, with its black-and-white (printed on color stock) weaving into the most glorious IB Technicolor - want to know what skin tones look like or blue skies or the ocean, look no further than Bonjour Tristesse.
I was at the HTF event for Twilight Time on Friday, just basically to hang out with my chums who own the company. And at the end of their wonderful chat they had a treat for everyone - they showed a bit of Tristesse and Rains of Ranchipur. Both looked really good. After, Nick was kind of enough to give me the check discs to watch, which I did today.
Bye Bye Birdie gave me hope - that was an Eastman color film and I don't think there were ever dye transfer prints, at least in this country, but that transfer looked just like IB Tech and it was glorious. But so few film transfers get the IB look and I'm always nervous about it, especially with a favorite like Tristesse.
Well, I'm more than happy to tell you that this transfer is a stunner. It is crisp and clear as can be, with wonderful contrast. But the best thing about it is the color. And yes, it really does capture the dye transfer look. Those BLUE skies, that deep BLUE water, Jean Seberg's RED bathing suit, leap off the screen with such incredible saturation, which is just the way it should be. If anyone anywhere on any board says "Wow, this is over saturated" you call them a ninny immediately. They won't know what a ninny is, but it's a good word. :) The black-and-white sequences (all the "present" scenes are in black-and-white) look sharp as a tack and are gorgeous. A lot of that can be laid at the feet of the amazing Georges Perinal, whose work here is incredible. Preminger never gets enough credit, IMO, as a great director, but Tristesse tells the tale - his work is elegant, stylish, and simple, serving the story perfectly.
The cast - well, David Niven, Deborah Kerr - they're great, as always, and Jean Seberg is just so fresh and breathtakingly beautiful, and Mylene Demongeot is wonderful, as well. The score by Georges Auric is a big plus. The screenplay by Arthur Laurents does have its precious moments, but there's just something about the film that's hypnotic and mesmerizing.
Major kudos to Grover Crisp - he and his team's work on this is breathtaking. And kudos to Twilight Time for having the good taste to release it. It's worth a purchase JUST for the transfer - JUST to see what dye transfer used to look like - this transfer is like looking at my dye transfer print - that's how good it is.
And The Rains of Ranchipur is nothing to sneeze at either.

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
O K: you've sold me. I have a very good DVD of Bonjour Tristesse and I was planning to stick with that, but you have forced my hand . . . . and my credit card!
By the way I do know what ninny means and I agree completely about Mylene Demongeot being wonderful. In fact I can't think of any other actress who could so perfectly recreate youthful exuberance in front of a movie camera: not just in this film but in several others as well.

haineshisway

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bruce
I want to sell everyone on this, and it has nothing to do with my friendship with Nick R. It has to do with when transfers are done right and are this gorgeous, people need to purchase if only to have something in their collection from the 1950s that has absolutely perfect dye transfer-like color.
I've now finished The Rains of Ranchipur, which is also terrific. I'd say this one-two punch is a bit of a home run.

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
OK Bruce, I'm now $34.30 poorer because of you. This is a blind buy for me and I chose it over Rosemary's Baby. I've never seen the film and, obviously, have never seen the Blu. Preminger, Kerr, Niven, and your recommendation were enough. Looking forward to it.

Richard--W

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard W
I'm encouraged. I've always been sold on Bonjour Tristesse, and on Otto Preminger's films. I can't wait to get the Blu-ray.
If only something could be done to bring out Porgy and Bess.

haineshisway

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bruce
dpippel said:
OK Bruce, I'm now $34.30 poorer because of you. This is a blind buy for me and I chose it over Rosemary's Baby. I've never seen the film and, obviously, have never seen the Blu. Preminger, Kerr, Niven, and your recommendation were enough. Looking forward to it.
Well, from everything I've heard, you have to buy Rosemary's Baby, too :) I'll have that on Tuesday, hopefully and believe you me it will be watched IMMEDIATELY.

dpippel

Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
Originally Posted by haineshisway /t/324773/bonjour-tristesse#post_3994669
Well, from everything I've heard, you have to buy Rosemary's Baby, too I'll have that on Tuesday, hopefully and believe you me it will be watched IMMEDIATELY.

I'll be waiting for the B&N 50% off sale, but it WILL be mine.

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
dpippel said:
I'll be waiting for the B&N 50% off sale, but it WILL be mine. :D
That sale is for Criterion titles, not Twilight Time BRDs which are available only from Screen Archives.

dpippel

Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
Yes, I meant I'll be waiting for the B&N 50% off Criterion sale to grab Rosemary's Baby.

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
dpippel said:
Yes, I meant I'll be waiting for the B&N 50% off Criterion sale to grab Rosemary's Baby.
Yes. I apologise. I was too quick off the mark.

Danny Burk

Second Unit
OK Bruce, you've sold another one. Blind buy for me, but I trust your judgement. Also ordered RAINS OF RANCHIPUR for good measure.
And yes, "ninny" is a good word and part of my "in use" vocabulary. As is "blackguard", which I had occasion to use a couple of weeks ago, much to the delight of my British friend with whom I was corresponding :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
prexhobby
Recent bookmarks