What's new

bmwfilms.com dvd for free! (1 Viewer)

Richard_D_Ramirez

Second Unit
To those who have their copies, have you noticed anything different about the films? After watching two of my favorite BMW films, "The Follow" and "The Chosen" on DVD, I noticed that each of these films had about 10-30 seconds of extra footage which I don't remember watching in the downloadable versions.

BTW, for those who haven't received their copies yet, the films feel more like "films", compared to the downloadable versions. I felt like I was watching them for the first time again. I hope you get your copies soon! (I, too, have not received my mailed copy as well...).

8^B

Lane F.

Stunt Coordinator
I recieved mine, but I am not sure whether it was in response to an email I wrote them, or the phone call. I too am a BMW owner, so not sure if that made any difference...

Christopher D

Second Unit
I want to stay faithful to the spirit of what BMW is trying to do, so I won't go into too much detail. I *think* that there is another way to get the DVD, which I am now guessing was the main way they intended to distribute them -- as a prize of sorts.

Watch the substories for the movies on BMWfilms.com very carefully and look for clues. At least one of these clues led very clearly to a (now passed) chance to meet someone personally handing out the DVDs. I strongly suspect (but haven't tried it myself, since I already have one) that another one of the clues is a way to get the DVD sent to you.

Ken Seeber

Supporting Actor
I requested my copy by phone about three weeks ago, and it came in the mail today (Nov. 30).
The DVD is packaged in a standard CD jewelcase, with all five films (two are longer director's cuts), audio commentaries, a making-of featurette, trailers, BMW vehicle gallery, talent biographies, film story boards, photo galleries, animated menus and DD 5.1 sound. Each film is also accompanied by an additional "back story" short film.
The films are not copy-protected. I don't have a way to check for region coding, sorry.

Kelly W

Second Unit
Well, it's been five weeks since I called, and I have not yet received the DVD. So, I called again and requested another. (Not suprisingly, they couldn't tell me what happened to my first request. They were probably swamped with orders that day.)

I wasn't asked any questions this time, so they don't have any reason to believe that I don't drive a BMW. (If that makes a difference.)

She said I would receive it within a week, so we'll see what happens. I've got my fingers crossed...

-Kelly

Byron Torres

Auditioning
I just recieved my 2 BMW DVDs today. I ask for one by email and by calling, just to be sure I'd get one, and I ended up getting both. Took around 3 weeks to arrive.

Bob Movies

Stunt Coordinator
Hi Byron,

Who did you e-mail? I called the BMW USA number, and they said they couldn't ship to Canada. When I called the BMW Canada number, they didn't know anything about this disc.

It's all very confusing...

~Bob

Byron Torres

Auditioning
I emailed the site representative on the BMW films website. I asked if they could send me a DVD cause my connection was to slow, and could not watch the films. I got an email back asking for my address. I sent them my address and did't hear back from them. Three Week later I got the DVD.

When I called the BMW USA number I asked for the promotional DVD. They asked me for my address and said it would take 10 days to arrive. Sure enough it arrived, it just took 3 weeks to get here.

Patrick Mirza

Supporting Actor
It's been almost 2 months and I still haven't gotten mine. And from the emails I've gotten from others, they haven't gotten theirs either.

Dammit, I guess I'm gonna have to call 'em now!

TyC

Stunt Coordinator
I have not gotten mine either. It has been at least a month and a half, if not two.

Eric Alderson

Stunt Coordinator
I emailed the webmaster on the 17th of January and got mine today. The thing that sucks is that it's defective. I'm not sure if this is what everyone has, but my disk feels like 2 disks were glued together. Plus I get heavy pixilation during the menus and "Ambush". It does seem to work better on my DVD-ROM drive though.

Scooter

Screenwriter
Real Name
Scooter
Funny this thread came back to life today..I JUST got done watching these...I have the 4 of 5 disc...wish I had the 5 of 5.

BTW..I got mine this past tuesday from a BMW dealer..so they still have a few in stock.

Is the 4th flick a easter egg by any chance? The dealership guy INSISTED that all 5 are on there.

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
My disc has all 5 shorts EASILY accessable from the menus, with no "easter egg" stuff needed to watch any of them. If you appear to only have 4 of the 5, then you have THAT version of the disc, sorry! The dealer was mistaken in what the content was.
I have heard that there are discs out there with a total number of shorts on the discs numbering in counts of 1, 2, 3, 4, or 5. Not sure how true this is; I walked into my local BMW dealer, asked for the "DVD with the ads on it", did some sweet-talking about my interest in buying a car and named a co-worker (one of my company's managers) who bought a BMW there, and they went off and found a box of the discs and gave me one, cautioning me that I had a hard-to-get item there. :)
The one they gave me had all 5 on it. I'm not sure which discs went to dealers or whatever.
I *WILL* agree that my particular disc is rather thick, and that if you look at it edge-on it kinda appears to be two platters glued together. However, I can probably go to at least a dozen other discs in my over-1000 DVD disc collection and identify films that are on discs that look exactly like this. I also have several CD's in my over-400-CD-disc collection like this, too. It's not common, but it's not unheard of. I don't think there's any significance to this other than "that's the way the disc was made".

Kelly W

Second Unit
I just got another copy of the DVD on Thursday. I say "another" because I now have 3 copies of this DVD and NONE of them have The Follow. One disc came from the dealer and the other two arrived presumably through the website.
I really want the one with all five films. I know I've already asked this, but does anybody have an extra copy of the DVD with The Follow that they are willing to part with or sell? I'm willing to pay quite a bit for it. :) Send me a private message...
Thanks!
-Kelly

Jeff_P

Stunt Coordinator
Just got mine in the mail today after months of waiting. Hey, I can't complain its FREE!

Eric Alderson

Stunt Coordinator
Hey Mark, it was the same address you posted. I thought I got the 5 movie version but when checking the disc, it only comes up with the trailer. As to the thickness of the disk, I have never seen anything like this before. It barely fits into my slot-load DVD-ROM.

Kelly W

Second Unit
Okay, I'm giving up on my quest for a DVD copy containing The Follow.
I sent an email to the BMW Films website specifically asking about that film and this is the response I just received:
Dear Kelly,
Thank you for your inquiry regarding "The Hire" film series.
Unfortunately, contractual obligations prevent us from distributing
film number three, "The Follow," on DVD. However, all five films are still
available in both streaming and downloadable formats at bmwfilms.com.
Thank you,
BMW of North America, LLC
In fact, I'm just going to keep telling myself that versions of the DVD with all five films do not exist. Like ghosts, UFOs, and Bigfoot, I won't believe they exist until I see them with my own two eyes. ;)
-Kelly

Peter Kim

Screenwriter
Well, I was confused and unsure about the supposed 4 of 5 BMW dvd. Until now...

I received another copy of the BMW dvd a few days back. This was arrived via a direct solicitation from BMW itself. In contrast to the copy of this dvd I first received months ago, it was housed in a paper slipcase. Worst of all, it does not contain THE FOLLOW, directed by Wong Kar Wai.

The first BMW dvd I received is housed in a cd-jewel case. It does contain all 5 films. Both dvd's display the exact same artwork, front and back. However, once you open the slipcase of the 4/5 BMW, brief mention is made under the description of THE FOLLOW - "The Follow is not available on this dvd".

Sure enough, in attempting to find The Follow, once the option for this film is activated, you'll only see "View Trailer" and "View Sub-Story". On the full disc, in addition to these options, you'll also see a "View Film" option.

Again, no easter eggs or convoluted menu path. The only difference is that I received the first dvd almost immediately after the promotion was announced. The second, 4/5 dvd, took many, many weeks, even months to get to me. It also arrived housed in a slipcase; although, other posters have stated that they've received the 4/5 in a cd-jewel case too.

It appears that the full, 5/5 release was an anomaly. Once the contractual restrictions were cleared and set, every subsequent disc mailed was chopped. Doesn't matter through which avenue you requested your disc - apparently, BMW has only one disc in circulation.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks