What's new

BluRay for Dummies...or, what must I know before buying? (1 Viewer)

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Premature :( I canceled the order when I learned it was 4 weeks from shipping. But I intend to get it (hopefully before Xmas) and I'm actively watching Amazon, etc. for the BD80 to hit my buy price :) It has the unique combination of features and price and quality that I want; and I'm looking forward to it!

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Dude,

Can't believe you didn't jump on that BD80
when it was $158.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
That was a blunder. Live and learn. :( I wasn't yet committed to the purchase and didn't realize how good that price was. I thought that was "normal", not "amazing".

Now stock seems to be low. NewEgg hasn't had it for a week. 6ave is a month backordered. Amazon changes sellers daily. And their price has been yo-yoing.

When it gets to $175 at Amazon again, I'll buy it.

JediFonger

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
YiFeng You
DaveF,

amz used reseller has it on sale for $169.11 delivered, but "PLEASE READ BEFORE BUYING. This item was a display model in one of our stores. Item does show some signs of handling. Product comes in original box along with all original accessories."

i'd still grab it, these types of stores usually have replacement policies in case anything goes wrong. just my 2 cents ;).

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Thanks for the tip, but I don't buy display models. :) They've seen the equivalent of years of (ab)use. I'm in no hurry, now. New stock will drop in price again before Christmas.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Ok, now I'm done :)

Bought the BD60 for the lowest price I've seen it. I'd prefer the BD80, but the price has been very erratic and stock low. This means I'm forced -- against my will I assure you ;) -- to buy a new receiver in the near future. And I tried to use the HTF Amazon affiliate link, so hopefully HTF gets some lucre.

Thanks again for tips and help.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Dave,

Know you were waiting for the BD80, but really, you got a
first-rate player in the BD60.

Even better than the one I bought a year ago.

You will be very happy with your purchase. I love Panasonic
BD players.

Congrats my friend!!!!

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Thanks! I'm looking forward to it. :) The 60 is as good as the 80; my only reservation with the 60 was that I have choose which 2 of 3 components to be digital 5.1 audio until I upgrade my receiver. The $$ savings though make it worth the bother.

tacomaDan

Auditioning
Real Name
Dan
You all have me scared now. I am by no means technologically astute, but I just made a purchase of the Samsung LCD HDTV-LN46B640 from BB sight unseen. My wife promised me about a year ago that I could buy one so I was going to wait until I got back from Iraq, but the price dropped for Black friday so I bought it online. I know I will need to get a whole audio system because the one feature Samsung doesn't seem to do well on is the sound. Which BD player will go best with a samsung and what would be the best compatibility with an audio system too? I am willing to spend about $300-500 on BD player, I just don't want to purchase one that will lose it's functionality within the next year.... just not a good investment. Seeing that I have three kids, going to movies is not financially feasible on a regular basis, so I want to have a good home theater experience. What say ye? Thanks for any tips.

sorry for all the questions in the BD thread that aren't necessarily fit for it.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Any Blu Ray player is going to work fine with your new TV. And a new receiver will give you great sound from your Blu Ray. My challenge -- I started this thread -- is that my receiver is 8 years old and doesn't have HDMI. Your new devices have HDMI.

From here and other research, I've gathered that there are several good, affordable Blu Ray players. If you want top-end performance (and price), I've read good things on Oppo and Pioneer Elite.

More affordable options:
Panasonic BD60 ($130 on sale; quality audio / video. Has SD port on front for BD-Live memory)
LG BD370 or 390 (reported to be fastest to boot and load discs. 390 has 1GB memory built in)
Sony BDP-S360 ($150 on sale. Sony brand name, if you're a Sony guy)
Many at HTF rave about the PS3 as a player. At $299, I consider it high priced, so didn't look into it.

I've read bad things specifically about the low-end Pioneer Blu Ray players (not Elite).

Arguably, they all play Blu Ray discs, so it's about secondary features. Some have analog audio output for people like me with older receivers. Some have USB ports for memory while others have SD / SDHC card ports. Some have WiFi. Some will stream YouTube. Some have Netflix streaming (if you're a Netflix customer). Some play DivX video from a USB drive. Some have better remotes than others. If these details matter to you, you'll have to search for the player that best serves you.

I wanted pricing under $175 (tax and shipping). I wanted SD card for memory. I don't need WiFi and don't care about YouTube or NetFlix streaming. I wanted coax digital audio out. No player has all that. I chose the Panny BD60 for everything but coax audio and will upgrade my receiver next year to overcome my audio input limitations.

Happy shopping.

tacomaDan

Auditioning
Real Name
Dan
Thanks Dave, I do appreciate the feedback. I will probably go with the PS3, that way I can get a gaming system too (we have a wii, but to have a PS3 for some FPS is exactly what I would like).

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
If you have questions about the PS3 as a Blu Ray player, there was a big thread on it in the HD Hardware thread. A few members are big fans and could help you out, I'd expect.

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
In the long run, I think you made the right decision to get an hdmi (1.3a ?) receiver to go along with the BR player. This way you can use all the features both the BR and avr are capable of.

Now, is it possible your speakers and sub are the weak link? .

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Speakers are overdue for upgrade. It may go in the budget for next year. So, yeah, I may be pestering folks in the speaker forum. :)

JediFonger

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
YiFeng You
lol, welcome to "Upgrade"-itis DaveF ;).

i agree w/Ron, Panasonic players are top notch.

tacomaDan, at those budget prices for BD Player, Oppo BDP-83 is one of the very best because in addition to BD, it upscales DVDs perfectly, plays SACD/DVD-Audio.

but if ur kidz like playing PS3 games, then PS3 slim will also work, but u lose DVDA/SACD.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks