Blueprint 1201 vs. Shiva

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by Stephen Hopkins, Apr 17, 2003.

1. Stephen Hopkins

Stephen Hopkins HW Reviewer
    HW Reviewer

I currently have an EBS Shiva w/ a PE 250W amp and I really like it. I'm currently looking for a new 12" sub to replace the one currently in my truck. I've read some threads suggesting the Blueprint 1201 for lower lever DIY sub projects. It models slightly better than the Shiva in WinISD and at $70 on clearance from AudioLiquidators it looks like a steal. Would the x-max difference make the 1201 bottom out less than the Shiva? I still haven't made my Shiva bottom out in an 11x13' room, but I'm afraid I may once I get it home into my 20" x 30" HT room and will be feeding it noticeably more power.

My main question is should I replace my Shiva w/ the Blueprint 1201 and move the Shiva out to the 1ft^3 sealed box in my truck, put a 1201 in my truck, or keep the Shiva in the HT and try to find a more appropriate 12" car sub for my truck?

There's an outside chance the Shiva could get replaced w/ an AV12, but that would be a few months down the road.

Thanks [​IMG]

2. JoelTW

JoelTW Stunt Coordinator

Hey this is kind of off topic but what's the volume of your enclosure? I'm about to finish up on my sonosub but I can't decide which driver to buy [​IMG]

3. Stephen Hopkins

Stephen Hopkins HW Reviewer
    HW Reviewer

5.75 cu ft tuned to 18.1 hz... the blueprint looks like it rolls off about 1hz lower than the shiva and is flatter down to the roll off point... the shiva drops slowly over about a 50hz area then sharply below the tuning point.

Only thing that worries me about the 1201 is it's SVC and only handles 250W, where the Shiva can handle up to 650W... but this also makes me think the Shiva would be better in my truck w/ my 1000W amp and the blueprint would go nicely w/ my 250W PE amp.

4. Seth_L

Seth_L Screenwriter

Perhaps these few graphs will help you.

Max Power:
    [​IMG]

Max SPL (250W for ported 1000W for sealed. Excursion limitations are factored in):
    [​IMG]

Yellow and Green are the Shiva
    Blue and Red are the 1201.

Seth