What's new

International BLU-RAY DISCS FROM GERMANY (1 Viewer)

Erik_H

Stunt Coordinator
I received "The Great Waldo Pepper" and "The Electric Horseman" Blu-Rays last week. Both are Koch Media releases and locked for Region B. I thought the PQ for each was fine (ditto the audio). Decent supplements, too; trailers in English and German and dozens of shots of posters and publicity stills. Both feature an odd supplement: Super 8 versions. As I spent little time watching the Super 8 versions of "Waldo Pepper" and "Electric Horseman" (PQ was, not surprisingly, not great), it was unclear if the Super 8 versions featured excerpts or were intended to represent extremely shortened versions of those films. Why anyone would be interested in these Super 8 versions is beyond me, but to each his own.

commander richardson

Second Unit
Real Name
martyn
I received "The Great Waldo Pepper" and "The Electric Horseman" Blu-Rays last week. Both are Koch Media releases and locked for Region B. I thought the PQ for each was fine (ditto the audio). Decent supplements, too; trailers in English and German and dozens of shots of posters and publicity stills. Both feature an odd supplement: Super 8 versions. As I spent little time watching the Super 8 versions of "Waldo Pepper" and "Electric Horseman" (PQ was, not surprisingly, not great), it was unclear if the Super 8 versions featured excerpts or were intended to represent extremely shortened versions of those films. Why anyone would be interested in these Super 8 versions is beyond me, but to each his own.

and.........................BOTH releases have ENGLISH SUB-TITLES ........for anyone like me who is interested.............

AshJW

Screenwriter
Real Name
Thomas
and.........................BOTH releases have ENGLISH SUB-TITLES ........for anyone like me who is interested.............
This is luckily quiet often the case with Koch DVDs and Blu-rays of classic films.

Mark-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark Probst
Both feature an odd supplement: Super 8 versions. As I spent little time watching the Super 8 versions of "Waldo Pepper" and "Electric Horseman" (PQ was, not surprisingly, not great), it was unclear if the Super 8 versions featured excerpts or were intended to represent extremely shortened versions of those films. Why anyone would be interested in these Super 8 versions is beyond me, but to each his own.
That would be exactly what was released on Super-8. They were severely truncated versions of films. It was very rare for a complete film to be released on a Super-8, and the few that were had a price tag of around $500.

Alan Tully

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
I'll ask again, how do you order from Germany Region Free Blu-ray discs 2D/3D?

You use Amazon.de like you'd use Amazon.com. You just put it your password & it has all your details like your address & card details, plus a handy little tip...across the (near) top of the page, just under the magnifying glass icon, there's a little world icon, click on that & you can choose English instead of German, it makes it much easier no navigate your way through the order process.

John Sparks

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Sparks
You can order discs from Germany via Amazon.de. Whether a disc is region-free is on case-by-case basis. Some are, some aren't.[/QUOTE

Well, if it's not region free, and it took 12-14 days to get to you, including the return time...is a month or more worth it for a disc???

Mark-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark Probst
...and, I've been told, that uk discs are almost all region free...is that correct?

I
I'd say most definitely not. If you are going to import, you've got to be willing to scour the internet for information before you buy, otherwise you will end up getting burned with region-locked discs, forced subtitles, no English subtitles when you need them, and discs that are sped up and mastered in 50hz.

cinemiracle

Screenwriter
Real Name
Peter
That would be exactly what was released on Super-8. They were severely truncated versions of films. It was very rare for a complete film to be released on a Super-8, and the few that were had a price tag of around $500.

Not true.I used to hire super 8 feature films from several film distributors in my city, for showing at my film club for friends. They were never shortened versions.

Garysb

Senior HTF Member
You need to know what the films are called in Germany. Using the translator The Electric Horseman becomes The Electric Rider.

81KMxifOEUL._SX425_.jpg

And The Great Waldo Pepper becomes Fancy Flight

914IoJNlYmL._SX425_.jpg

Brent Reid

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Brent
You need to know what the films are called in Germany. Using the translator The Electric Horseman becomes The Electric Rider. And The Great Waldo Pepper becomes Fancy Flight
Looking via direct translation is not always the best way to go, as so many foreign titles are totally different from the originals. My preferred option is to look under the Release Dates tab on IMDb, where that info is followed by a list of international titles.
Another reliable method is to go to the film's Wikipedia page and select the appropriate country from the list of alternate language versions at the bottom of the left hand column. :)

Alan Tully

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
A good way to search for a film is to type in the star, like for The Great Waldo Pepper, type in Robert Redford Blu-ray & the complete list of his Blu-rays come up. This saves you from having to know what the German title is.

AshJW

Screenwriter
Real Name
Thomas
The German pendant to the IMDb is also a good source: www.OFDb.de. There are also many versions (on all thinkable media) listed, if the users updated their versions on the side ;). It's the same with blu-ray.com and its German pendant www.bluray-disc.de where you also can search via the original title.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Feetman
Recent bookmarks