What's new

International BLU-RAY DISCS FROM GERMANY (1 Viewer)

OliverK

Senior HTF Member
I don't know if the rights holder on this title varies from place to place, but if they licensed from MGM, it'll be the same transfer as the TT disc.

I would expect that they get this from MGM. For putting this on Blu-ray they still have the chance to add additional sharpening and/or noise reduction and they need to get the compression right.

Professor Echo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Glen
I would expect that they get this from MGM. For putting this on Blu-ray they still have the chance to add additional sharpening and/or noise reduction and they need to get the compression right.

And a 5.1 option based on the original 6 track would be great. TT only had a 2.0, claiming they couldn't find the 6 track.

DP 70

Screenwriter
Real Name
Derek
When I saw this in Ultra Panavision on the Cinerama screen in Bradford a few years ago the Datasat Disc if I remember right had 5.1 audio.
Also I think this was only mixed in 4 track and spread out.

OliverK

Senior HTF Member
When I saw this in Ultra Panavision on the Cinerama screen in Bradford a few years ago the Datasat Disc if I remember right had 5.1 audio.
Also I think this was only mixed in 4 track and spread out.

I saw the 70mm print twice and in both cases it was said to be DTS 6-track with 5 screen channels and mono surrounds so in any case a 5.1 home mix should have been possible. It was great to see this on the big screen in all its undistorted glory, one out of only 4 movies I saw that way.

cinemiracle

Screenwriter
Real Name
Peter
Most Bluray players don't have that option. Only some dvd players do

I disagree with you. All players have a 4 digit code which is entered when the player is finished being made. Maybe it is only a problem in the U.S.A. whereby you cannot get the 4 digit code from the player's manufacturer. Just ask the seller as they may be able to give you the code .All dvd players sold in Australia can play both NTSC and PAL formats automatically and are region free.I never had a problem with any dvd player since they first became available. I have bought many over the years). My bluray player ($98) plays all zones just by changing the 4 digit code which is provided in the instruction book. I would never buy a player that was not multi-zoned. A search for your player's 4 digit code can usually be found on the internet.

smithbrad

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brad
I disagree with you. All players have a 4 digit code which is entered when the player is finished being made. Maybe it is only a problem in the U.S.A. whereby you cannot get the 4 digit code from the player's manufacturer. Just ask the seller as they may be able to give you the code .All dvd players sold in Australia can play both NTSC and PAL formats automatically and are region free.I never had a problem with any dvd player since they first became available. I have bought many over the years). My bluray player ($98) plays all zones just by changing the 4 digit code which is provided in the instruction book. I would never buy a player that was not multi-zoned. A search for your player's 4 digit code can usually be found on the internet.

There is obviously a difference between US and Australia in this regards then. There have been a few DVD players out of the box that have been region free here, but most are not. Some DVD players support NTSC and PAL, as well as PAL to NTSC conversion but many do not. There are codes online for certain DVD manufacturers but many do not. As far as blu-ray players, I only know of one, Seiko, that supports entering a code to become region free for both DVD and blu-rays, but most are locked to a region. There is a reason so many people in the US have to buy MOD kits or hardware MOD'ed players to have regions free support for blu-rays. Asking a manufacturer or seller is not going to get a code here. Yes, some have leaked for DVD players, possibly based on re-badged players from other countries. David is correct as far as the US is concerned.

Brent Reid

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Brent
This is incorrect. It's great that you've enjoyed trouble-free multi-region playback thus far, but the probable handful of Australian-sold machines you've owned is not representative of all those sold there, much less the rest of the world. Rather than further derail this thread with this topic, anyone unsure of the facts on multi-region playback can check out this straightforward article: Blu-ray and DVD Region Codes and Video Standards.

cinemiracle

Screenwriter
Real Name
Peter
I still disagree with you. You do not live in Australia so you are not in a position to judge. The article that you mentioned has been around for years and does not relate to anything about what I mentioned in my article regarding Australia. It was totally irrelevant. What is relevant in The U.K. is not relevant in Australia. Years ago I recalled seeing many advertisements in the U.K. for dvd outlets that would change your regional coding but for a price.I assume that it was a problem in the U.K. and a big money maker for some companies.

David Norman

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Maybe it is only a problem in the U.S.A. whereby you cannot get the 4 digit code from the player's manufacturer. Jt.

Definitely not the case in the US. Many players in teh US even have the PAL ability removed so it couldn't be accessed even if there were code.

Virtually no Bluray players (Seiki is the only one I'm aware of) have the ability to change Bluray region by remote code. I'm wasn't aware even that many players outside the US have that capability -- certainly most of the EU folks seem to have to have their players modded too. I thought the Bluray region free capability had to be hardware modified for the vast number of players. I'm not sure how many Bluray players have the ability to become DVD region free by code outside the US, but it's a distinct minority in the US.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I still disagree with you. You do not live in Australia so you are not in a position to judge. The article that you mentioned has been around for years and does not relate to anything about what I mentioned in my article regarding Australia. It was totally irrelevant. What is relevant in The U.K. is not relevant in Australia. Years ago I recalled seeing many advertisements in the U.K. for dvd outlets that would change your regional coding but for a price.I assume that it was a problem in the U.K. and a big money maker for some companies.
We have disagreements all the time, but the fact of the matter is that the majority of us don't live in Australia so David Norman is correct that most Blu-ray players don't have that four digit code option that are readily available to a majority of the HTF membership. However, you're correct about relevance depending on where you live in this world.

Last edited:

John Hermes

Screenwriter
Real Name
John Hermes

bigshot

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen
Did that guy who crashed and burned with the Elvira movie ever license it to be released? When he disappeared he said he was on the verge of making a deal for it. But that was a long time ago.

John Hermes

Screenwriter
Real Name
John Hermes

Brian Kidd

Senior HTF Member
Nice! I was able to pick up Buckaroo Banzai, the uncut version of The Neverending Story, and the Zardoz steelbook for $24! Danke schön!

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
It appears the German release of "The Far Country" has been postponed but hopefully will come out at a later date. Amazon didn't outright cancel my preorder so that's hopeful. I think that was my favorite of the Stewart-Mann westerns.

commander richardson

Second Unit
Real Name
martyn
It appears the German release of "The Far Country" has been postponed but hopefully will come out at a later date. Amazon didn't outright cancel my preorder so that's hopeful. I think that was my favorite of the Stewart-Mann westerns.
I have this on order as well and Explosive-Media is an excellent label releasing popular movies that no one else seems bothered about ..I am sure it will arrive eventually..sales for them on this particular release should be quite good over a period of time..

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Yeah, I'm satisfied with their editions of Bend Of The River, Night Passage and The Rare Breed. I think those were initially announced for one date, and then delayed a few months as well, so it just seems par for the course for these. But if it's a high quality release, I can wait - I can always throw on my DVD if I'm desperate to see it between now and then.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks