What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

International BLU-RAY DISCS FROM GERMANY (1 Viewer)

Mark-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark Probst
Very interested, and just ordered - thanks!

Can anyone please tell me if the Koch Media release of 55 DAYS AT PEKING has the same, or similar, quality transfer as the French or U.K. release? I've seen the U.K. blu projected at a friend's house, and it looked great. Hoping the German disc is the same, as it's quite a bit cheaper than the U.K. disc.
Same spectacular restoration as the U.K. release with one tiny exception: the title on the actual film has been digitally replaced in German (55 Tage in Peking).

Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

Alan Tully

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
I received the German release of The Getaway remake (1994) today (I believe it's one of the HD DVD holdouts) I think this is the first Blu-ray release. I had a zip through & think it looks fine, it has German & English 5.1 sound, & according to the back of the case it's regions ABC.

Hank E

Stunt Coordinator
I received the German release of The Getaway remake (1994) today (I believe it's one of the HD DVD holdouts) I think this is the first Blu-ray release. I had a zip through & think it looks fine, it has German & English 5.1 sound, & according to the back of the case it's regions ABC.

Still waiting on mine. Can you verify if it's the uncut version?

Alan Tully

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
Still waiting on mine. Can you verify if it's the uncut version?

I think it's the American cut version, the case states 115 minutes, & on Amazon .de I think someone's complaining that it's the American R rated version (it's in German). I think the missing minute is Kim Basinger's bits, oh well, you can't have everything.

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
I watched the German Blu-ray disc of Lawman yesterday. Not a bad disc - reasonable picture quality - but with two drawbacks. First there are two unavoidable trailers: you can't fast forward; you can't skip them; you can't access the menu. Even the stop button was disabled! I regard this a plain bad manners by Black Hill GmbH, the producers of this disc.

The second shortcoming is that the scene with Burt Lancaster and Sheree North in bed is the "tame" version where Sheree North's splendid body is covered at all times.

I'm glad I got this disc for peanuts. I'd have been annoyed if I had paid good money.

Lawman is a United Artists film, owned now by MGM. I hope that Twilight Time, who are Burt Lancaster fans, can secure a high definition transfer of the uncensored version and put out a proper disc.

John Hermes

Screenwriter
Real Name
John Hermes
Shame they won't be able to do anything about the horrible use of the zoom by Michael Winner! Otherwise not a bad western.
I watched it last night myself. Yes, I agree. Zooms in Westerns should be avoided completely IMO. I also thought the color saturation was rather low and dull in this transfer overall. Lancaster and Robert Ryan were good in this.

AshJW

Screenwriter
Real Name
Thomas
I think it's the American cut version, the case states 115 minutes, & on Amazon .de I think someone's complaining that it's the American R rated version (it's in German). I think the missing minute is Kim Basinger's bits, oh well, you can't have everything.
It is the R-rated version.

And because the HD-DVD has the Unrated version, I find it not satisfactory.

RMajidi

Premium
Real Name
Ramin
Taza, Son of Cochise arrived today. It looks very nice, sharp, with excellent contrast. Too bad it's not in the original 3D!!!

Had been waiting for word on the quality of Taza before ordering, so thanks for checking out the terrain, John.

---------------

Just did a search on this thread and was surprised that there's been no reference to another Rock Hudson, Barbara Rush teaming under Douglas Sirk: Captain Lightfoot (1955).

Koch Media released this on region-B-locked Blu a couple of years ago, and for mine, the largely blemish-free transfer does justice to the Cinemascope Technicolor location photography and ornate sets.

I don't have the colour-acuity of others on this forum, so take this for what little it's worth: colours look rich, tending a little brown.

The period piece is rousing high adventure with a good sense of humour - in the mould of The Scarlet Pimpernel, although I doubt that either the Irish or the English would appreciate the comparison.

Some good performances, with Barbara Rush playing the lusty, independent and headstrong daughter particularly well.

The 1974 Clint Eastwood film, Thunderbolt and Lightfoot, was inspired by this film.

Audio language options are the original English and dubbed German. Subtitles only available in German.

Aspect ratio of 2.35:1 is close to the original framing.

Extras include a trailer as well as a typically succinct and informative intro by the sadly-departed Robert Osborne.

The Blu is packaged in a presentable Digibook, with a German language booklet featuring black and white stills.

https://www.amazon.de/Captain-Lightfoot-Blu-ray/dp/B00O2UN6AA

[Edit: I see there is another thread already devoted to this BD:

https://www.hometheaterforum.com/community/posts/4194773/

It starts with a nice review by Andreas Wagner, then the thread gradually morphs into Sirk's Imitation of Life.]

Last edited:

OliverK

Senior HTF Member
I think it has been mentioned before Ramin but it is always good to bring up gems like this one again so that they do not get lost.

This is a fun little movie by Robert Sirk, he didn't do these very often.

Hank E

Stunt Coordinator
Got the three Concorde releases today.
"The Getaway" looks pretty great (some mild filtering, but nothing terrible).
"Unlawful Entry" is only fair (more noticeable filtering and a washed out, soft look to it).
"Where The Money Is" which is an absolute mess (heavy DNR, heavy EE, no grain... really awful transfer, in a "Color of Money" way).

Alan Tully

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
Got the three Concorde releases today.
"The Getaway" looks pretty great (some mild filtering, but nothing terrible).

It's interesting to compare it to the old HD DVD. The old transfer has more contrast & is cooler & is a lot sharper, but that's electronic sharpness, the sharpness knob turned right up. The way they do it these days (when they do it right) is a lot better, the picture looking more organic & less electric, more like you'd see at the cinema. I think it's a great looking transfer.

http://caps-a-holic.com/c.php?d1=9959&d2=9952&c=3997

Mark-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark Probst
My latest batch of titles purchased from Amazon.de.

Captain Lightfoot
Region B (locked)
It's an acceptable transfer. Aspect ratio is 2.35:1 and mono sound, though the OAR should actually be 2.55:1 and stereo.

CL1.jpg

CL2.jpg

CL3.jpg

CL4.jpg

The Last Wagon
Region B (locked)
Also 2.35:1 DTS-MA 4.0 and DTS-MA 2.0. Unfortunately, the 4.0 soundtrack is flawed with no center channel. It is in effect 2 channel stereo up front and dual-channel mono surround in back. Your choice is to listen to the 2.0 stereo in pro-logic, or the 4.0 with phantom center.

TLW1.jpg

TLW2.jpg

TLW3.jpg

TLW4.jpg

I also got Kansas Raiders, 1.33:1, Region-free, which is a very nice-looking Technicolor transfer, and Lawman, 1.85:1, Region B locked, which doesn't look so hot but is probably typical of 1970s film stocks.

Alan Tully

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
Looking at that handy site that lists upcoming German Blu-ray releases, I see that my favourite James Stewart western, Bend Of The River is due for release on 9th of June (a few days before One-Eyed Jacks is released in the UK, I love westerns :))...& Grey Lady Down is set for the end of June, I love that film & imported the R1 DVD.

http://www.bluray-disc.de/blu-ray-filme/demnaechst?id=2014-12

commander richardson

Second Unit
Real Name
martyn
My latest batch of titles purchased from Amazon.de.

Captain Lightfoot
Region B (locked)
It's an acceptable transfer. Aspect ratio is 2.35:1 and mono sound, though the OAR should actually be 2.55:1 and stereo.

View attachment 37435
View attachment 37436
View attachment 37437
View attachment 37438

The Last Wagon
Region B (locked)
Also 2.35:1 DTS-MA 4.0 and DTS-MA 2.0. Unfortunately, the 4.0 soundtrack is flawed with no center channel. It is in effect 2 channel stereo up front and dual-channel mono surround in back. Your choice is to listen to the 2.0 stereo in pro-logic, or the 4.0 with phantom center.

View attachment 37439
View attachment 37440
View attachment 37441
View attachment 37442

I also got Kansas Raiders, 1.33:1, Region-free, which is a very nice-looking Technicolor transfer, and Lawman, 1.85:1, Region B locked, which doesn't look so hot but is probably typical of 1970s film stocks.
AND.................THE LAST WAGON.........has English Sub-titles .....................

commander richardson

Second Unit
Real Name
martyn
Looking at that handy site that lists upcoming German Blu-ray releases, I see that my favourite James Stewart western, Bend Of The River is due for release on 9th of June (a few days before One-Eyed Jacks is released in the UK, I love westerns :))...& Grey Lady Down is set for the end of June, I love that film & imported the R1 DVD.

Thanks for the information ...and also including a link to the German web-site.........

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin

Of more interest to me is the news that The Bravados is due for release. I'm very interested to see what the Fox magicians have done with Leon Shamroy's work on this film.

Alan Tully

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
My next western from Germany is going to be Ulzana's Raid next month. The Germans really love their westerns, I'm happy to say.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Areles
Recent bookmarks