What's new

International BLU-RAY DISCS FROM GERMANY (1 Viewer)

John Hermes

Screenwriter
Real Name
John Hermes

John Hermes

Screenwriter
Real Name
John Hermes
I recently picked up Taza, Son Of Cochise from Germany. 2.0 AR, sharp picture, pretty good color. Here are a few caps. Too bad no 3D. :(

upload_2017-4-5_17-20-54.png
upload_2017-4-5_17-21-32.png
upload_2017-4-5_17-22-45.png
upload_2017-4-5_17-24-24.png

Attachments

• upload_2017-4-5_17-21-53.png
    upload_2017-4-5_17-21-53.png
    921 KB · Views: 47

Winston T. Boogie

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop
I like that The Bravados is coming soon as well. I hope that the Germans also get around to releasing Anthony Mann's The Last Frontier as the French have that out on blu already but it may have forced subs.

OliverK

Senior HTF Member
I like that The Bravados is coming soon as well. I hope that the Germans also get around to releasing Anthony Mann's The Last Frontier as the French have that out on blu already but it may have forced subs.

Better for Sony to first revisit The Last Frontier as the current master does not go much beyond DVD resolution.

I also look forward a lot to The Bravados - it should look really good.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I've been periodically checking Amazon.de for preorders for Night Passage and Winchester 73. The bad news is Winchester isn't up yet. The surprise (to me at least) was that they have preorders for The Rare Breed and Bend Of The River!

Alan Tully

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
I've been periodically checking Amazon.de for preorders for Night Passage and Winchester 73. The bad news is Winchester isn't up yet. The surprise (to me at least) was that they have preorders for The Rare Breed and Bend Of The River!

Yup, if that site that lists forthcoming German releases has the final Blu-ray artwork, then you know it's kosher, but when it just shows temporary artwork, then it's a case of wait & hope (Night Passage, The Rare Breed & Bend Of The River all have the final Blu-ray artwork). Ulzana's Raid didn't have the finished Blu-ray cover, & that seems to have disappeared from the listings, I hope Winchester '73 makes it, I saw it the other night, recorded in HD off air, & I thought it looked very nice, & what a great western!

john a hunter

Screenwriter
It's probably on this thread somewhere but Custer of the West (Ein Tag zum Kampfen) says its a long version and remastered if my Deutsch is any good! At 10 euros, a good buy?.
Oliver will know!;)

Mark-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark Probst
It's probably on this thread somewhere but Custer of the West (Ein Tag zum Kampfen) says its a long version and remastered if my Deutsch is any good! At 10 euros, a good buy?.
Oliver will know!;)
Don't buy it. Even the back cover lists it as 1080i at 135 minutes (Pal speedup) which is exactly the same as the French Blu-ray.
81JY4NLiONL._SL1200_.jpg

Thomas T

Senior HTF Member
Buyer reviews of the German blu ray of Custer have been poor. Anyway, Kino Lorber has announced Custer Of The West is coming from them on blu ray. Alas, it's not the Roadshow version but it should look pretty good.

OliverK

Senior HTF Member
Seems to be the same mess as the French version according to one poor German soul who bought this. There is another less flawed version out there that was shown on Sky UK ages ago and that one looked better so I have to wonder why they bothered to create a version that is worse than that.

Pinewood would be a good choice for this. They are local (I presume the original elements still reside in the UK) and they did a very good job with Circus World and 55 Days at Peking. I saw Custer of the West a few years ago at a festival. Reddish faded print but very good detail and sharpness so hopefully somebody will be willing to spend some money on it.

Simon Lewis

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Simon Lewis
The German blu-ray of Custer Of The West (which I made the mistake of buying a while back), is actually a DVD upscale. Its worse than the French disc. Needless to say, I will be getting the Kino disc.

Professor Echo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Glen
Has anyone picked up the German release of RIO CONCHOS and had a chance to watch it? Just wondering how it compares to the Shout release, which had lousy sound, if I remember right.

OliverK

Senior HTF Member
The German blu-ray of Custer Of The West (which I made the mistake of buying a while back), is actually a DVD upscale. Its worse than the French disc. Needless to say, I will be getting the Kino disc.

It is quite an achievement of sorts that they managed to make it even worse than the deplorable French release. Probably a good idea to make a note about the company that released it and not to buy any of their future releases unless credible reviews and/or screenshots actually confirm that they are any good.

commander richardson

Second Unit
Real Name
martyn
Has anyone picked up the German release of RIO CONCHOS and had a chance to watch it? Just wondering how it compares to the Shout release, which had lousy sound, if I remember right.
Picture Quality.........10/10..............Sound...........Dolby Stereo and excellent............English Sub-titles should you need them..............a really good release.............Highest recommendation.........

John Hermes

Screenwriter
Real Name
John Hermes
I received The Bravados today. My initial impression is that it's a heavy, dense image. I had to turn down the color saturation and contrast and turn up the brightness on my display to get the picture to more my liking. The blacks are too deep in my opinion. It's a clean, colorful, sharp image, though, and the English DTS-HD 5.0 sound is nice.

Last edited:

Ed Lachmann

Screenwriter
Real Name
Edmund Lachmann
As much as I love the German blu-ray releases, after many upgrades of many films my advice has got to be "go for the Kino". This is especially true of Daddy Long Legs and Fanny.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks