What's new

International BLU-RAY DISCS FROM GERMANY (2 Viewers)

youworkmen

Supporting Actor
Real Name
david
The fabulous UK series Hustle remains dvd only in the home country despite being made in HD for several years.

Was just going to nab the German Bluray set for the final series 8 but I checked and the 6 episodes seem to be the cut 50 minute international versions that the US get . The UK dvd is over 50 minutes longer as its the uncut episodes.

AnthonyClarke

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Anthony
I just bought a brand-new Looney Tunes Platinum collection Vol 3 on Blu ray in its German edition (from Ebay Australia) for just $18 Australian .. about $24 US. So amazingly cheaper than anywhere else .....

Keith Cobby

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Keith Cobby
I bought the German edition of Hustle (series 8) on blu-ray and the image quality is excellent although it is the abridged version. I no longer want to buy DVD's for television I have watched in HD. Other series I have bought on blu-ray, which are not available in the UK, are Fleming, and Breathless. Both look superb on blu-ray.

youworkmen

Supporting Actor
Real Name
david
Keith Cobby said:
I bought the German edition of Hustle (series 8) on blu-ray and the image quality is excellent although it is the abridged version. I no longer want to buy DVD's for television I have watched in HD. Other series I have bought on blu-ray, which are not available in the UK, are Fleming, and Breathless. Both look superb on blu-ray.

I bought Hustle 8 from Amazon Germany but quickly cancelled it after I checked my suspicions it might be edited.

52 minutes missing across just 6 episodes is unacceptable for me.

As its only one season out of 8 and the rest are on dvd I instead purchased the entire series of Hustle 1-8 for just £19.99 which was about £2 dearer than season 8 on Blu on its own.

I only got a Bluray recorder just over a year ago so I'm disappointed that I didn't get one earlier as I could have got about 3 seasons of Hustle off air in HD.

It's good to have as there are so many BBC and ITV shows being broadcast in HD that don't appear on Blu.

Just got the last 2 seasons of Waterloo Road and the most recent season of Jonathan Creek.

atfree

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alex
Coming 5-18-15

http://www.bluray-disc.de/blu-ray-filme/jules-verne-collection-7-film-set-blu-ray-disc

Jules-Verne-Collection-7-Film-Set-DE.jpg

revgen

Screenwriter
Real Name
Dan

youworkmen

Supporting Actor
Real Name
david
This would not be an atypical German release , likely being all the movies in SD.

A multi pack of Stallone movies now on offer for under £10 includes a new genuine HD disc of Nighthawks ( the individual disc is an upscale)

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
Just one day after discussing in another thread the Jerry Cotton films starring George Nader, I received an email from Amazon Germany about two Jerry Cotton films on Blu-ray.

Dead Shooting On Broadway.jpg

and also

Death In a Red Jaguar.jpg

Amazon Germany mention only a German soundtrack whereas the DVDs have an English soundtrack as well. Does anyone know if the Blu-ray discs have the English soundtracks? (Amazon specifications are unreliable at best)

youworkmen

Supporting Actor
Real Name
david
revgen said:
If it's 7 films on 1 disc, then forget about it. Do not want.

Its supposed to be 3 films on 3 discs - Amazon state one disc. I've ordered it so I'll let you know.

Apparently its good if you want Nighthawks in genuine HD but the other films are less quality.

revgen

Screenwriter
Real Name
Dan
youworkmen said:
Its supposed to be 3 films on 3 discs - Amazon state one disc. I've ordered it so I'll let you know.

Apparently its good if you want Nighthawks in genuine HD but the other films are less quality.

I'm talking about the Jules Verne collection. Not Stallone.

youworkmen

Supporting Actor
Real Name
david
revgen said:
I'm talking about the Jules Verne collection. Not Stallone.

A quote in your post would have made that clearer.

I agree 7 films on one disc is no good.

I got the German disc with This Island Earth , Colossus and The Questor Tapes on it recently but its another of the increasing number of German Blurays with Standard Def content on.

It was ok for an average quality presentation of The Questor Tapes but overall the disc was a waste of money

Professor Echo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Glen
Robin9 said:
Just one day after discussing in another thread the Jerry Cotton films starring George Nader, I received an email from Amazon Germany about two Jerry Cotton films on Blu-ray.

attachicon.gif

and also

attachicon.gif

Amazon Germany mention only a German soundtrack whereas the DVDs have an English soundtrack as well. Does anyone know if the Blu-ray discs have the English soundtracks? (Amazon specifications are unreliable at best)

I'll see if I can get my girlfriend in Germany to confirm.

UPDATE: I talked to her today (3/30) and she said that this week she will try to contact the studio releasing these. Let's keep our fingers crossed that they include an English language track!

Professor Echo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Glen
Robin9 said:

attachicon.gif

and also

attachicon.gif

Heard back from my German gf and while she hasn't gotten confirmation from the studio yet, she has found several German sources that say these releases DO NOT have English tracks or subtitles on them, which is too bad.

So right now if you want any of the Jerry Cotton movies from Germany, you have to settle for the standard DVD box set of six titles, all of which DO have English soundtracks on them. Five of those are also available individually, but it seems the sixth one is only in the box set. Of the eight total Jerry Cotton movies produced in the 1960's, only two have been released on DVD without any English options.

youworkmen

Supporting Actor
Real Name
david
Anolis have announced they are releasing 20 Hammer films on Bluray - several are already available.

So it sounds like they've tied up the Studio Canal and ITV movies where HD masters exist along with the Universal films they had already started releasing.

John Hermes

Screenwriter
Real Name
John Hermes
I picked up the Blu-ray Classic Western Collection, Volume 1 put out by Koch. It has Marlon Brando's The Appaloosa (1966), Red Sundown (1956) with Rory Calhoun, and Saskatchewan (1954) with Alan Ladd and Shelley Winters. Each transfer is nice with The Appaloosa looking especially good in 2.35 AR. Red Sundown seems about 2.0 AR, and 1.37 for Saskatchewan. They are pressed discs, region-free, and have DTS-HD Master audio tracks. Very happy here. The disc I got of The Appaloosa from Spain was a BD-R and had only Dolby Digital audio. Good deal, too, at $25 and change shipped.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
foster2292
Recent bookmarks