What's new

BLOCKBUSTER class-action suit... (1 Viewer)

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
This may already have been posted, but just in case: If you have every paid for an "extended viewing" period on a tape or disc, or had to fork over a "nonreturn" fee, you may well be able to benefit from this suit. Phone # to call for info. is 1-800-224-2703, or go to www.blockbuster.com. My take is: the more people who respond to this, the more we can make life difficult for this company.

Kelley_B

Senior HTF Member
I had a long standing "extended viewing" fee with Blockbust and as soon as this case was over I got a call from the store saying that my fees had been dropped and my account restored. I told her thanks, but I will never step foot inside another Blockbuster, unless its a going out of business sale!
I saved about $45 in late fees, oh i mean "extended viewing" fees.

Scott-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott
I tried to understand all that legal mumbo-jumbo but couldn't figure out exactly what the case was about.
Is this related to their "2 day rental" that is really only 1 day long? Or something else?
Just curious...
------------------
-----
Scott

BrianB

Senior HTF Member
Is this related to their "2 day rental" that is really only 1 day long? Or something else?
It's about their old policy on late fees - where the fees were higher than it would cost to actually rent the video for the overdue period. Basically, if you kept it say two days late, you weren't charge the standard two day rental, you were charged a higher 'late fee' per each day late.
That's what I was told.
------------------
Nothing In Particular

Ryan Wright

Screenwriter
Not to side with Blockbuster, but I would think they should be able to charge whatever they wanted for late fees as long as the customer was aware of it ahead of time. What was the deal with this ruling - did they not tell people how much the late fees were? Honestly, if I wanted to open a video store and charge $50 a day for late fees, that should be my right (although nobody would rent from me).
------------------
-Ryan (http://www.ryanwright.com )
Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes.
That way, when you do criticize them, you'll be a mile away and you'll have their shoes.

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
I think it's a lot more that they wouldn't TELL you what the late fees were, and charge you according to whatever ludicrous price it was this week.
Jeff Kleist

Jim Bivins

Stunt Coordinator
Yes, Blockbuster does have the right (as well as any rental co.) to charge whatever late fee's they wish, so long as the customer understands this...the case here, to the best of my knowledge, involved the fact that people would return the rental late, have to pay the 'extended veiwing' fee, but didn't have the rental for that 'extended' time...thus, Blocksucker would make money on the 'extended' fee, as well as the next customer who rented that copy...it's kind of a round about double billing....they basically wouldn't inform people that, if a rental was late, they could go ahead and keep it for the extended time, since they we're already paying for it...jeez, I hope I didn't confuse anyone further!
Jim
patriot.gif

DanL

Stunt Coordinator
I dunno if this has anything to do with it, but myself and many others, locally, stopped going to BB years ago (like 9 or 10) when they continuously were mysteriously "losing" movies. I often had to fight with BB management over late-fes for films that weren't late and on more than one occasion, they blamed me for mysterious damage to the VHS tapes that they never would actually show me. I'm sure this extended rental fee was just a slicker version of that kind of crap.

Mike_G

Screenwriter
Real Name
Mike
Well, I _HAVE_ to go to BB if I want to rent anything because all the West Coast Video stores in my area closed. I try to avoid BB, but sometimes you just can't.
Believe me, I stopped going there when they refused to carry "Henry And June". I cut my card on principal. Now I have to go there. Feh. I hate BB.
Mike

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks