What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

Blade Runner sequel (1 Viewer)

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I can't think of a film that needs a sequel less than Blade Runner. The film is a masterpiece, regardless of Ridley Scott's ridiculous retconning of Deckard. It doesn't need a sequel.

Lord Dalek

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Henderson
A retcon suggests that Deckard being a replicant was something Scott came up with after the fact when its clear from the deleted scenes and even that one shot of his eyes having the "Replicant Glow" that this was something he had already thought out before they started production.

Winston T. Boogie

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop
In the original P.K. Dick story he is not a replicant (not that that matters I guess) and I'm in the camp that the film works much better if he is not. I wonder how much Harrison will be in the new Blade Runner film he could just have a cameo. Mr. Ford seems to be doing the actors equivalent of a "Greatest Hits Tour" to close out his career...Solo, Deckard, Indy...what's next Colonel Lucas, Martin Stett?

Winston T. Boogie

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop
I'm really hoping for Apocalypse Now & Again and The Conversation Continues. Francis has not had much on his plate of late outside of restoring The Cotton Club.

Bob Falfa in his 80s cruising the strip in his hot rod for girls would be sort of...well...odd.

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
The Blade Runner sequel now has an official title - Blade Runner 2049:

http://www.theverge.com/2016/10/6/13187950/blade-runner-2049-title-harrison-ford-ryan-gosling

The film has a release date of October 6, 2017, just one year away. A behind-the-scenes photo was also released on Twitter:

14570580_1066899306758529_820220587139382866_o.jpg

Jonathan Perregaux

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jonathan Perregaux
From left to right:

Denis: "Okay, I got it you guys. Here's the title for the sequel: Blade Runner. Bam! Huh? Huh?"

Ridley: "...2049!"
*chuckles dismissively*

Harrison: "No, I really like that Ridley! Blade Runner: 2049 is great! I told you this guy is a fricken genius!"

Ryan: "You do realize that some people will think they missed 2048 sequels in between, right?"

trevanian

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Kevin
A retcon suggests that Deckard being a replicant was something Scott came up with after the fact when its clear from the deleted scenes and even that one shot of his eyes having the "Replicant Glow" that this was something he had already thought out before they started production.

It's a pretty clear part of the record when the replicant thing came up. Scott totally misinterpreted a line in the David Webb Peoples rewrite, taking a reference to gods or creators overliterally, and decided it was be totally HEAVY METAL to have Deckard a replicant, whether it was appropriate or not.

EDIT ADDON: am pretty sure Peoples covered this in STARLOG, if not in the 80s then perhaps during 12 MONKEYS press, and imagine it turns up in the FUTURE NOIR book as well.

Jonathan Perregaux

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jonathan Perregaux
They're... making a sequel to Blade Runner? And Ridley Scott is not directing because he's busy directing a prequel to ALIEN that's a sequel to Prometheus, itself a prequel to ALIEN?

tumblr_lr2nkmhVx51r2hzh6o1_500.gif

Jeff Cooper

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Cooper
Well either Harrison Ford is not playing Deckard, or it will finally put to rest the issue of whether or not Deckard is a replicant....

Winston T. Boogie

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop
That is a great looking (and sounding) teaser. I am officially excited to see this.

And very happy it is directed by Denis Villeneuve and not Ridley Scott.

Interesting to see that Harrison's name appears above the title and he is prominently featured in that teaser...which would seem to indicate he will have a decent sized role in this.

And no, Deckard is NOT a replicant.

Last edited:

Winston T. Boogie

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop
For me the Vangelis music suited the original film at the time, I do not see it as a requirement for the new film. I think what we hear in the teaser is very cool so if they want to do some sort of call back to that music for certain segments that's fine but I would not use Vangelis for this sequel.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
charliewonka
Recent bookmarks
SVS Outlet Sale