What's new

Black Christmas (1 Viewer)

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
According to DVD File, Black Christmas is coming to the US on November 6 in a new version from Music Video Distributing. Never heard of them. Anyway, it's widescreen, but not anamorphic. Not much in the way of extras, either.
I'll wait for reviews, but I already have the Critical Mass disc. Unless this one gets a lot of praise, I'll stick with that one.
[Edited last by Greg_S_H on October 04, 2001 at 04:05 PM]

MichaelO

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks for the heads up. I have been wanting this disc but haven't taken the plunge since the Great White North is the only place you can get a region 1 copy (that I know of anyway, not including fleaBay).
------------------
My Home theater

JohnJB

Stunt Coordinator
No need for e-bay (not that there is anything wrong with e-bay) www.dvdboxoffice.com sell the excellent (IMO) Critical Mass version of Black Christmas for a very cheap US $15.97 inc. delivery worldwide, this has good picture quality, it's open matte 1:33 & has a good interview with genre God John Saxon.

Justin_S

Senior HTF Member
I'll stick with my Critical Mass DVD. Why is it going to be widescreen? Anyways, Black Christmas is the king of all slashers in my opinion! Easily one of the best films ever made. One of my top 5 favorites.

Wes Ray

Supporting Actor
I'll more than likely pick this up, as I'm a Black Christmas collector. I wish Warner Bros. would've released a version themselves with a lot of features on it.
Ah well. At least more horror and non-horror fans will be able to be introduced to this truly overlooked classic. This is great news, if you ask me.
Any horror fan who has not seen this movie is TRULY missing out. Buy this as soon as it's released.
Any non-horror fan who has never seen Black Christmas is really missing out on a true genre classic, and one of the best executed films of all time. It definitely has one of the best movie endings of all time, if not THE best horror film ending of all time.
------------------
Horror AND non-horror fans unite!
jasvparbanner2.jpg

[Edited last by Wes Ray on October 04, 2001 at 06:40 PM]

SteveGon

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Gonzales
I wouldn't pin my hopes on Music Video Distributing. They were supposed to put out versions of Freaks and Island of Lost Souls a while back. Never happened.
frown.gif

------------------
He thought on homeland, the big timber, the air thin and chill all the year long. Tulip poplars so big through the trunk they put you in mind of locomotives set on end. He thought of getting home and building him a cabin on Cold Mountain so high that not a soul but the nighthawks passing across the clouds in autumn could hear his sad cry. Of living a life so quiet he would not need ears. And if Ada would go with him, there might be the hope, so far off in the distance he did not even really see it, that in time his despair might be honed off to a point so fine and thin that it would be nearly the same as vanishing.
-- Charles Frazier, Cold Mountain

Wes Ray

Supporting Actor
Why can't Warner release this film on DVD??? That's going to be my number one question for them in the chat. They'd better have an answer. :)

ryan_m

Stunt Coordinator
I wouldn't pin my hopes on Music Video Distributing. They were supposed to put out versions of Freaks and Island of Lost Souls a while back. Never happened.
It is DEFINITELY coming out, on 11/6. I just started working at Music Video Distributors (so I know) and it's being released under our new Eclectic DVD label. It's definitely the biggest title we have at this point.
Not sure why those others titles weren't released, I can ask around though.

Wes Ray

Supporting Actor
Why can't someone release a Special Edition version of this, loaded with extras?
This movie needs to be out there and seen by people!

Jon Robertson

Screenwriter
It is out there and can be seen by people (at least in a couple of weeks). If there are any films that can stand without need for supplements, this is one of them.

Wes Ray

Supporting Actor
Very true. I just wish we could see a Bob Clark, Olivia Hussey, John Saxon audio commentary show up on a future DVD version.
It's definitely one of the few movies which is worth a bare-bones purchase, no matter what price they charge.

Jon Robertson

Screenwriter
Don't get me wrong, I'm not trouncing your idea, but I'm not sure I'd like to see a special edition.
What happens if they get the actor who plays the killer for an interview? It's like Peter Weir refusing to do a commentary for Criterion's Picnic at Hanging Rock - it's a movie about the unexplainable, and there are so many extraordinary loose ends at the film that aren't tied up, it would lose so much of its impact and mystery if any explanation by the filmmakers were ever given.
But for those who want it, I'm happy to sign a petition or send a letter for a full-on special edition!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks