What's new

Bike owners, use a Kryptonite lock? You may want to reconsider (1 Viewer)

Dave Poehlman

Senior HTF Member
Wow! The video was a little garbled up on my cheap computer, so I couldn't see exactly how it was done.. but if the video is true, I'll steer clear of Kryptonite.

Maybe I'll take a pen over to the bike store and try it out. Hmmm....

Jay H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jay
http://www.bikeforums.net/showthread...8&page=1&pp=25

First I thought it was bogus, but I'm a bikeforums member and I trust most of the people over there as much as folks here on the HTF and some of them have said they've got it to work.

Having said that, I have a really cheapo cable lock that could probably be broken with some pliers! I figure when I'm out bicycle touring, noboby wants to steal a 70lb bike with panniers. They would more likely steal parts or steal parts in the bags which a cable lock wouldn't really protect.

[edit , what am I thinking... weight is too low.. ]

And 2 of my bikes which are worth $4k+ won't leave my sight if I'm not in a place I trust. :)

Other things you can do is stuff like leave the bike in the big ring and a high gear... Use clipless pedals, unclip the brakes, stuff like that..

Jay

Jay H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jay
Since this is like all over the media (at least the online kind, I haven't seen any news broadcasts yet), I checked out Kryptonite's website to see if they have any kind of response or statement and couldn't find anything other than they've moved offices...

Jay

StephenK

Stunt Coordinator

Evidently this works with all types of cylindrical locks, like the ones on vending machines, laundry machines, some security gates, etc etc. Also it appears recently made locks seem more susceptible than older ones.

This is gonna get out of hand soon.....

Philip Hamm

Senior HTF Member
From the NY Times articleThis is friggin' hi-larious! Harley-Davidson uses the same kind of circular key for their MOTORCYCLES!!! How safe is your Road King?

Matt Stone

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Stone
I read an article about this in the paper this morning. I use a Kryptonite lock, but it's from the New York series (had 2 bikes stolen in a week using Kryptonite thick cable locks), and it doesn't use a cylindrical key. The articles I've read make it sound like all Kryptonite locks are at fault...but non-cylindrical ones aren't. Correct?

Vince Maskeeper

Senior HTF Member

It works with lots of Cylinder locks- and has been a well kept secret for a while. I know lots of punk kids who have used this to clean out vending machines over the years (most vending machines keep the money in a sep steel enclosure- but you could use this trick to open machines and steal food).

I have even seen a slot machine opened this way once.

:)

-v

NickSo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick So
haha, i lost the key to my kensington laptop-lock cable... i should try it with that...

EDIT: Didnt work

Greg_R

Screenwriter
Real Name
Greg
It is extremely easy to pick most locks (not just cylinder locks) if you have a basic knowledge. Most can be picked with a nail file and bobby pin in a matter of seconds. If you've ever seen a locksmith work (or watch one of the repo shows on TV) you know how fast it can be done...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks