What's new

Big Budget DAWN OF THE DEAD remake!!? (1 Viewer)

Sean Cauley

Stunt Coordinator
I watched the new trailer this morning; never saw the old one. I've got to say, the movie still has the potential to suck rocks, but the trailer is excellent, especially with the broken-film/zombies-behind-the-screen gimmick (even if it has been done before, even to comedic effect, as in Gremlins 2). Without further info, I'd be interested in seeing the movie.

Ross Williams

Supporting Actor
Even though I hate remakes, I have to say I'm pretty intrigued by this one. But that was easy, cause I'm an absolute sucker for zombie flicks. This looks like it was pretty well handled, and it has a good cast.

I personally like the the quick moving zombies, have been since Return of the Living Dead scared the crap out of me when I was 10. And although it's cheesy, I love that shot of the little girl flipping up onto her feet. The lumbering zombies of Romero's films, aren't that scary by themselves, only when there's a group of them.

Kevin M

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Ray
Well as I stated in another thread..
No *** they don't get the cashflow going if they don't cater to their perceived notions of what the average kid wants in a film...but if that is the only impetus for filmmaking then I demand people stop calling it "legitimate art".
Besides, I didn't like the original DOTD because it catered to my ever changing likes as a teenager, I liked it because it was much more than a splatter film geared towards adolescent action/horror fantasy, it had deeper meaning and real characters in a situation that made me ask myself "what would I do in that situation?", I have not seen this new version so I will not claim that it doesn't have those same qualities but just seeing the apparently zombiefied baby pushing through it's mothers belly in the trailer tells me that we are more than likely in Humanoids From The Deep territory rather than Dawn Of The Dead waters. IMO this looks like they took The French Connection and turned it into Starsky & Hutch...might appeal to some but I'll take the original. I will see if I am correct when I rent the DVD sometime later this year.

ChrisBEA

Screenwriter
The fact that they made this movie frightens me. When I saw the first trailer, I felt sad for those involved in the original. That 1st trailer just didn't look that good. I saw the new trailer for the 1st time today, and it gave me a bit of hope that this might actually be good! The new trailer was really well done.

Also let me say, I am not necessarily a fan of remakes, but I don't usually write them off immediately. I did enjoy The Texas Chainsaw remake very much, and on the flip despise every frame of the Psycho remake.

Well, here's to hoping this is watchable!

Shawn_KE

Screenwriter
The original DOTD is a work of art and has style that I don't think the remake is going to get anywhere near.

But, that second trailer does look pretty good. Just wish it was called something else.

JonZ

Senior HTF Member
I thought the new trailer was pretty good. Alot better than the first.

Unless this has great buzz, Ill wait for video.

Scott Calvert

Supporting Actor
There sure are a lot of you people looking forward to this. That doesn't speak well for the HTF community, IMO.

For the inevitable replies that I'm intolerant of other peoples tastes and I have a closed mind blah blah blah:

What good do you hope to get out of seeing this movie? There is already a movie out there called Dawn of the Dead. It's a classic. There's also a movie called 28 Days which this looks like a carbon-copy of.

So, again, why see this film? Because the stars are hipper and better-looking? Because the soundtrack has a beat and you can dance to it?

Why?

Shawn_KE

Screenwriter
Why see it?

I like Zombie movies.

It's a retelling of Dawn Of The Dead. It's like hearing a story and then hearing it again by someone else. Probably contains the same events, but adds or take aways a few as well.

Sometimes they work (Texas Chainsaw Masacre) and sometimes they don't (house of 1000 corpses)

Joey Gunz

Second Unit
Scott Calvert said:
There sure are a lot of you people looking forward to this. That doesn't speak well for the HTF community, IMO.
For the inevitable replies that I'm intolerant of other peoples tastes and I have a closed mind blah blah blah:
What good do you hope to get out of seeing this movie? There is already a movie out there called Dawn of the Dead. It's a classic. There's also a movie called 28 Days which this looks like a carbon-copy of.
So, again, why see this film? Because the stars are hipper and better-looking? Because the soundtrack has a beat and you can dance to it?
Why?
Why not? From watching the trailers, the remake looks like it could be good...and scary! We know that there's already a "Dawn of the Dead" movie (Romero's classic original), but what's wrong with trying to improve it, or update it? Maybe give the story a different spin? I don't care who's in it or what music they're gonna play. I want to see it because it looks like its well done and it looks like it could be a scary film. I'm a big fan of the original, but that movie (aside from the "idea" of the dead coming back to life) was not scary. It was a satire. It was horror mixed with a little comedy. I simply want to be scared. The remake may do just that.
I've said this on another forum and I'll repeat it here: I am very much looking forward to the new "Dawn" remake, but even if it turns out badly, well then who cares? We'll still have the original to watch. It's not like the original will suddenly disappear from the face of the earth when the new one hits the screen. It will still be around for us to enjoy. And if the remake turns out to be good? Well then, we've got ourselves another zombie film to admire. I don't see a problem.

Robert Anthony

Senior HTF Member
Yeah. God Forbid I go to a movie and have a good time.

Here's a similar question--do you own any albums that have covers of songs you ALSO have in your collection? Why would you do that? Because sometimes, wallowing in the variations is just as fun as hearing something completely new. It's part of the reason the "remix" blew up like it did in the 80's and 90's. People like hearing new takes on music they already like. It's why sequels are made--it's pretty obvious thinking. If such and such sounds good, then lets see what happens if we stay in the same playground, but go over THERE with it.

It's the EXACT same with movies. I know "Dawn of the Dead" is still available. I know I can watch it whenever. I own 28 Days Later, I can throw that when I want, as well. Does that mean I should simply close the door on Zombie movies now? There might be something in this take on Romero's movie that I LOVE. Why should I sit here and go "Hey, that's a really REALLY nice looking trailer. That movie looks pretty creepy. But I've seen Romero's so forget it."

Are the movie angels going to descend from Film Heaven and pin a Blue Film Snob Ribbon on my lapel and present me with a framed certificate? Am I going to get some kind of reward for refusing, on general principle, to not see a remake that actually seems interesting? No. If I see it, and it sucks, oh well. just a movie. There's millions upon millions of them out there, I'll move onto the next. but if it's GOOD? Then I chose wisely. I got some enjoyment out of that 2 hours. I got some return for my dollar.

How is that, in any way shape or form, a bad thing? Its' not like I somehow forget there's an original version out there, it's not like I can't watch it and it's not like movies won't be remade because I didn't, either. There's no reason for me to NOT watch it if I think it's worth peeking at.

Kevin M

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Ray
No. If I see it, and it sucks, oh well. just a movie. There's millions upon millions of them out there..
Yeah, but did you ever consider that there is a connection between the existence of the multitude of these shitty remakes and your continued patronage of them hoping they will actually make a good one? If they make money they will continue to remake the classics we love....does that prevent us from seeing our beloved originals? No. But it does put money in the pockets of these talentless graverobbers & encourages them to continue making these "no artistic reason to be" remakes rather than expend the energy it takes to come up with something original, now if they had even one fresh take on these classics as in your song analogy then I wouldn't mind (like William Friedkin's remake of Wages of Fear or Philip Kaufman's Invasion Of The Body Snatchers for example) but these people are only interested in money, nothing else, quite a few directors passed on this out of respect for the original, they had to get a first time guy to even get it made!
See it if you wish, I respect that, but please try to understand the reasons why many of us do not wish to see it.

ChrisBEA

Screenwriter
Sometimes they work (Texas Chainsaw Masacre) and sometimes they don't (house of 1000 corpses)
I liked both of those :D
As for why would I see this? Because I hope it will be good. I like zombie movies. I like horror in general. Like someone else said, a different perspective on a familiar story. Because I like going to the movies.
It may be horrible, won't know until it comes out. I was apprehensive at first, but that second trailer is enticing ....

ChuckSolo

Screenwriter
I have to admit that I had my reservations about this. I didn't especially like the remake of "Night of the Living Dead" when it first came out, but it grows on you, at least least to me anyway. I am looking forward to this remake and the second trailer makes me want to see it even more than the first trailer did. As an affecionado of zombie genre film, I say......bring it on!!!:)

Robert Anthony

Senior HTF Member
"See it if you wish, I respect that, but please try to understand the reasons why many of us do not wish to see it."

I wasn't the one coming in here wondering out loud why people wanted to see it, tho, remember?

I VERY COMPLETELY understand why you don't wish to see it. I've heard the arguments many of times over. I've used it sometimes myself. But I didn't know that the problem was US not understanding anyone's wanting it to die. Looking back at the thread, it looked like it was a problem with US actually WANTING to watch it. And that maybe you don't understand why we would. Scott's remarks about this not reflecting well on the HTF pretty much drove that home. There's PLENTY of things that probably don't reflect well on the HTF. a handful of us regular posters saying we liked the trailer is WAY down on the list.

Your presumptions and overgeneralizations about remakes are going too far. I'm sure there was someone JUST like you saying the EXACT same things about "Wages of Fear" and "Invasion of the Body Snatchers" as you're saying about Dawn of the Dead. Thing is, the thinking your espousing doesn't ALLOW for those remakes to exist AT ALL (which is funny because I happen to think the 2 you named weren't very good remakes at all) because it assumes everyone remaking a previously existing movie is doing it solely for profit, and that's just not always the case, man. Sure, you can say, because you LIKE those remakes, that they were looking to put a different spin or reinterpretation on em, but you can't know that until AFTER you see it and hear the director and writer speak on their motivations. It's really easy for me to sit back without seeing a scrap of film or hearing a single interview to point fingers and say the people in charge are moneygrubbing grave robbers, but that doesn't automatically make it true. Profit is always the BIGGEST reason for making a movie, but it's hardly ever the SOLE reason.

Things are always going to be remade. it's the nature of the creative beast. you can fool yourself into thinking your refusal to watch remakes is somehow fighting the good fight, but it's simply not true.

Rich Romero

Supporting Actor
Man, I guess I've gotta be the biggest hater of this whole remake idea still. I won't even WATCH a trailer. I have no interest in this whatsoever. You can't really compare the remake of NOTLD to this remake. The NOTLD remake was written by George himself, he oversaw the making of it, and he even handpicked the director. I think since this remake sounds so drastically different from the original, they could have just named it something else and pissed me off a little less. :angry:

Scott Weinberg

Senior HTF Member
So the general thinking is that "real" movie fans should simply IGNORE each and every remake that comes down the pike? Because why? The sanctity of the original film is something so untouchable that nobody else dare to tell the same story?
Sounds a little wacky to me.
Do I slap my forehead when I read that someone is about to attempt a remake of Dawn of the Dead, a horror movie that deserves every ounce of praise it has ever received?
Well, yeah. Because the original is just awesome and there's VERY little chance that anyone could improve upon it.
But hey, a remake doesn't have to be an improvement in order for it to still be a success. Last year's TCM remake is a perfect example; I thought it a gritty and ferocious little horror flick, and one that doesn't come CLOSE to Tobe Hooper's original.
Sorcerer is a great example, as is John Carpenter's version of The Thing or Ocean's Eleven or Dirty Rotten Scoundrels or Insomnia or Invasion of the Body Snatchers or .... Whether or not the remakes "surpass" their predecessors is unimportant; the fact is that many remakes are DAMN good movies in their own right. And to imply that ANY movie is 'too good' for the remake treatment...well, Shakespeare's stuff has been 'remade' for about 400 years now. If it's good enough for William Shakespeare, it's certainly good enough for George Romero.
I do agree quite strongly in one respect: remakes often DO seem to be a short-cut for the lazy filmmaker. There's simply no reason to mount a Can't Buy Me Love remake, and last year's remake of The In-Laws only served to make the original seem even better than it already is. And the less said about the wholly pointless Psycho remake the better. In cases like these, I join you in sneering at the Remake Machine. Whether or not the new Dawn of the Dead movie falls into this category remains to be seen.
Plus in a way...a remake is a MORE honorable creature, in that it plainly admits its inspiration/source material, whereas many other lesser movies just STEAL plots and concepts whole without ever giving credit to their sources.
If we aim to dismiss every remake solely because it's a remake, we're potentially robbing ourselves of some damn good movies.
;) All that and I got my fingers crossed that the new DotD has some nice surprises like the new TCM did. ;)

Dome Vongvises

Senior HTF Member
Liked the lingerie modelling part in the trailer. :)
I'm still going to watch this. Like Scott said, everything has a right to stand on its own. But I certinaly understand if it miffs a few people. I even have my own quips with book adaptations.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks