What's new

Biblical-Roman-Egyptian epics not yet on Blu-ray (10 Viewers)

ptb2017fr

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Paul Bale
Never heard of Geoffrey Toone. Edmund Purdom had a few starring roles, The Egyptian is one I remember fondly, but why he then disappeared I can’t remember. But can’t imagine him doing voice work after starring in a big movie spectacle. But thanks for the info. Joan Croydon also means thing to me.

richardburton84

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jack
Never heard of Geoffrey Toone. Edmund Purdom had a few starring roles, The Egyptian is one I remember fondly, but why he then disappeared I can’t remember. But can’t imagine him doing voice work after starring in a big movie spectacle. But thanks for the info. Joan Croydon also means thing to me.

Geoffrey Toone can be seen briefly in The King and I (released the same year as Helen of Troy) as Deborah Kerr’s former beau during the banquet scene.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
Sometimes you do it as a favor to help out a business associate, not for any publicity or advancement of your career. Angela Lansbury did the same thing dubbing Ingrid Thulin in the remake of The Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse. Neither got any on-screen billing; it was merely a favor.

ptb2017fr

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Paul Bale
Land of he Pharoahs looks terrific but my goodness theres a lot of padding, especially in the sequence where they start building the pyramid. Odd how James Robertson Justice son gets an American accent when he grows up, an accent he didn’t have as a child.

Beckford

Second Unit
Real Name
Ken
Land of he Pharoahs looks terrific but my goodness theres a lot of padding, especially in the sequence where they start building the pyramid. Odd how James Robertson Justice son gets an American accent when he grows up, an accent he didn’t have as a child.

Growing up, he had a tutor from Memphis ... Tennessee.

Ed Lachmann

Screenwriter
Real Name
Edmund Lachmann
While not exactly Biblical or Roman, the just announced Aleksandr Ptushko Russian 1972 epic Ruslan and Ludmila blu-ray release through Deaf Crocodile has plenty of swordplay in its epic two and a half hours to satisfy the most peplum-loving among us. Great to see this upgrade from the old Ruscico DVD. It looks to be a glorious affair in the recent dry desert of this beloved genre's offerings. There's this about it from Blu-ray.com:

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
Sometimes you do it as a favor to help out a business associate, not for any publicity or advancement of your career. Angela Lansbury did the same thing dubbing Ingrid Thulin in the remake of The Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse. Neither got any on-screen billing; it was merely a favor.
A favor to whom? (I'm a great admirer of Angela Lansbury)

Thomas T

Senior HTF Member
In Lansbury's case, it was a favor to her husband who was running MGM at the time.
It may have been a favor to her husband but he was not running MGM at the time. At the time 4 Horsemen Of The Apocalypse was made, Joseph Vogel was the president of MGM and Sol Siegel was head of production, not Ms. Lansbury's husband Peter Shaw. Mr. Shaw came to MGM in 1964 as an assistant head of production.

Ed Lachmann

Screenwriter
Real Name
Edmund Lachmann
Had to love that 4 Horsemen remake, especially when Boyer demands "You tortured my Chichi". Rex Ingram is still rolling over in his grave. GREAT score by Andre Previn however.

Alan Tully

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
Had to love that 4 Horsemen remake, especially when Boyer demands "You tortured my Chichi". Rex Ingram is still rolling over in his grave. GREAT score by Andre Previn however.
Yes, not a good film (putting it lightly), but for some reason I do like it & would buy a Blu-ray, I’m lucky enough to own the expanded CD of Andre Previn’s score (which to me, sounds a bit over melodramatic in the film, but is a great listen on its own).

Douglas R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
Yes, not a good film (putting it lightly), but for some reason I do like it & would buy a Blu-ray, I’m lucky enough to own the expanded CD of Andre Previn’s score (which to me, sounds a bit over melodramatic in the film, but is a great listen on its own).
I’ve always liked 4 Horsemen of the Apocalypse as well. It’s a good-looking expansive production, out of the routine, even though Glenn Ford was badly cast (never one of my favourite actors). I have the French DVD licensed from Warner Bros which is in stereo. I believe the WB Archive DVD is only mono.

Last edited:

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
I’ve always liked 4 Horsemen of the Apocalypse as well. It’s a good-looking expansive production, out of the routine, even though Glenn Ford was badly cast (never one of my favourite actors). I have the French DVD licensed from Warner Bros which is in stereo. I believe the WB Archive DVD is only mono.
I agree about Glenn Ford being wrong for the part. A few years later, Alain Delon would have been perfect. I like the film too apart from those symbolic statues toppling which, in my opinion, are just ridiculous and are the reason the film is not highly regarded.

JPCinema

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ken Koc
My Warner Archive disc is in stereo

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mycuu
Recent bookmarks