What's new

Biblical-Roman-Egyptian epics not yet on Blu-ray (9 Viewers)

Ed Lachmann

Screenwriter
Real Name
Edmund Lachmann
So many disappointing reviews of the Japanese Hercules and Hercules Unchained blu-rays (and the double disc double feature) were posted that I didn't order it, and the lack of an English option REALLY informed that decision. The German Intergroove DVD (Digital Remastered sticker on label) of Hercules Unchained (w/English option) is really gorgeous, so I'd hope there are some fine elements around. Both top of my most wanted list in HD!

Quatermass II

Second Unit
Real Name
John Hayes
In the UK, Hercules Unchained went out on the ABC circuit - double billed with The Bugs Bunny Show - at least in the North of England where I live - and was certainly in colour and 'Scope.

Alan Tully

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
In the UK, Hercules Unchained went out on the ABC circuit - double billed with The Bugs Bunny Show - at least in the North of England where I live - and was certainly in colour and 'Scope.

Yup, as I replied to Douglas, my error, it was Goliath & The Barbarians, also at an ABC cinema.

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
Had to bring this thread up to date concerning the announcement of Mill Creek's upcoming Rita Hayworth-Ultimate Collection blu ray set. It will include William Dieterle's 1953 Salome featuring Stewart Granger, Charles Laughton, Judith Anderson and Cedric Hardwicke. Undoubtedly, some people will blather on how "awful" this film is, but I always got a big kick out of it, especially Laughton as Herod. The Columbia DVD looked great and so should this. Anyway folks, we finally score another...and it's about time.
I watched the Blu-ray disc yesterday and can confirm it has a superb, magnificent transfer! The Rita Hayworth box-set from Mill Creek has such a low price that you buy the entire set for less than you'd pay for a single disc from Criterion or - in the past - Twilight Time.

Ed Lachmann

Screenwriter
Real Name
Edmund Lachmann
Good news, though, on the extended Nofretete blu-ray over at Amazon Germany which now gets a December 18 release date. Also watched the Mill Creek Salome last night. What gorgeous technicolor! A real treat.

AlanP

Screenwriter
Real Name
BAP
A bit of bad news on Duel Of The Titans (1961), it been pushed back to the end of next year, which means there's a problem with it.

Helen Of Troy & Land Of The Pharaohs, as soon as you like Warner...please.

Who's releasing "Duel Of The Titans" ??

Ed Lachmann

Screenwriter
Real Name
Edmund Lachmann
WOW, that is pushing it back for sure! One year and change down the line. Maybe they will surprise us and move that date up. Sure hope so because Romulus and Remus is one of the absolute favorites of my youth. Ordered Nefertiti and The Plainsman from Grooves.land/Playthek, better shipping costs than Amazon. We'll see how they do.

Alan Tully

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
WOW, that is pushing it back for sure! One year and change down the line. Maybe they will surprise us and move that date up. Sure hope so because Romulus and Remus is one of the absolute favorites of my youth. Ordered Nefertiti and The Plainsman from Grooves.land/Playthek, better shipping costs than Amazon. We'll see how they do.

Yeah, they do that when there's a problem, that date is just a placeholder, it could turn up at any time. I have German Blu-ray of The Plainsman, I think it's an older transfer, as the titles are window-boxed, but I thought the transfer looked fine, very slightly dark, but with a good grey scale, & plenty of detail in the blacks, & it's sharp & clean. Looking forward to seeing it over the Christmas hols. (along with another old DeMille, the French Blu-ray of The Crusaders {1935}).

cinemel1

Second Unit
Real Name
Mel Matsil
Good news, though, on the extended Nofretete blu-ray over at Amazon Germany which now gets a December 18 release date. Also watched the Mill Creek Salome last night. What gorgeous technicolor! A real treat.

I just received the Hayworth set yesterday. It’s worth it alone for Rita’s Salome dance of the 7 veils at the end with score by Daniele Amfithetrof. It looks lovely in Technicolor.

Allansfirebird

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Sean
Doing a little "filmed in Spain" program of films this week, and was watching Solomon and Sheba. It got me wondering if there's ever been any news on what became of the footage shot with Tyrone Power as Solomon before his untimely death? All I've ever seen are the scant few minutes in this video on YouTube that must've come from some TV special years and years ago.

One thing I notice, even from the low-quality of the clips, is how much more distinct and artful the lighting is. Shows the difference of Freddie Young when he's on a normal filming schedule vs. a 10-week time crunch to redo 75% of the movie. That one moment where Power crosses in front of the camera with the light hitting his face from below reminded me so much of a shot of Omar Sharif in Lawrence where he's outside the guardhouse where Lawrence is being tortured.

cinemiracle

Screenwriter
Real Name
Peter
Doing a little "filmed in Spain" program of films this week, and was watching Solomon and Sheba. It got me wondering if there's ever been any news on what became of the footage shot with Tyrone Power as Solomon before his untimely death? All I've ever seen are the scant few minutes in this video on YouTube that must've come from some TV special years and years ago.

One thing I notice, even from the low-quality of the clips, is how much more distinct and artful the lighting is. Shows the difference of Freddie Young when he's on a normal filming schedule vs. a 10-week time crunch to redo 75% of the movie. That one moment where Power crosses in front of the camera with the light hitting his face from below reminded me so much of a shot of Omar Sharif in Lawrence where he's outside the guardhouse where Lawrence is being tortured.

If you look closely you can see Tyrone Power in the film as he can be seen in the background in one or more scenes. Not sure where as it has been many decades since I saw this film in 70mm.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Nielmb
    Recent bookmarks