What's new

Biblical-Roman-Egyptian epics not yet on Blu-ray (4 Viewers)

johnmcmasters

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
John McMasters
Those stills are close but don't really look like the discs as seen on my LG OLED/OPPO. HERCULES is indeed pale at times (the skies especially are usually pale grey) but does look a bit more colorful -- the HERCULES UNCHAINED disc on my system doesn't have the clarity of those screenshots and is darker. I am sorry that I don't have the tools or expertise to be more precise about all of this -- or an ability to do screen captures.

Ed Lachmann

Screenwriter
Real Name
Edmund Lachmann
Had to bring this thread up to date concerning the announcement of Mill Creek's upcoming Rita Hayworth-Ultimate Collection blu ray set. It will include William Dieterle's 1953 Salome featuring Stewart Granger, Charles Laughton, Judith Anderson and Cedric Hardwicke. Undoubtedly, some people will blather on how "awful" this film is, but I always got a big kick out of it, especially Laughton as Herod. The Columbia DVD looked great and so should this. Anyway folks, we finally score another...and it's about time.

richardburton84

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jack
Still no Blu-ray but there is a new release of the soundtrack of The Silver Chalice:

Not really. That CD has been around since at least 2007. I acquired it myself a couple of years ago during a previous sale (while not Biblical/Roman, their CD of Alfred Newman’s The Prisoner of Zenda (which is being promoted in SAE’s email about the current sale with Silver Chalice, is highly recommended). The score itself is definitely one of Waxman’s best with a beautiful love theme, even if the film itself is nowhere near the same level as the score (it’s very easy to see why Paul Newman wanted people not to see it, something I should have done myself).

Alan Tully

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
A couple of interesting German releases coming up:

Queen Of The Nile (1961) released on November 6th.

Duel Of The Titans (1961) released on 28th January - I can remember seeing this one at the cinema.

OliverK

Senior HTF Member
Not really. That CD has been around since at least 2007. I acquired it myself a couple of years ago during a previous sale (while not Biblical/Roman, their CD of Alfred Newman’s The Prisoner of Zenda (which is being promoted in SAE’s email about the current sale with Silver Chalice, is highly recommended). The score itself is definitely one of Waxman’s best with a beautiful love theme, even if the film itself is nowhere near the same level as the score (it’s very easy to see why Paul Newman wanted people not to see it, something I should have done myself).

The description of this disc is indeed misleading, you are right that it is from 2007:

[TD valign="top"]
Price: $19.95
Limited #: 3000
View CD Page at SAE Store
[/TD]
[TD valign="top"]
Line: Golden Age
CD Release: September 2007
Catalog #: Vol. 10, No. 11
# of Discs: 2
[/TD]

Quatermass II

Second Unit
Real Name
John Hayes

Duel Of The Titans (1961) released on 28th January - I can remember seeing this one at the cinema.

Great to see these films making it to Blu ray!

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin

Ah! Jeanne Crain on Blu-ray disc! And a film I've never seen which has Vincent Price as an also ran. For me! A blind buy is forthcoming. Thanks for the "heads up"

AlanP

Screenwriter
Real Name
BAP
I would also throw in The Silver Chalice for fun and Raoul Walsh's wonderful Esther and the King which has more exotic dances than any other epic I can think of.
s-l400.jpg

Ed Lachmann

Screenwriter
Real Name
Edmund Lachmann
Billy, you've made my month! Ordered Queen of the Nile right off but looks like we'll have to wait for Romulus and Remus until 2021. I saw the latter in theater back in the day and really loved it as I remember. Hope Germany keeps putting these out, and with the English option! Yes, I wonder about Esther and the King and Story of Ruth since they are Fox titles and so many of the Fox widescreen epics have had HD releases. Would also love Fox's Francis of Assisi. Just wish WB would give us at least one of Helen of Troy, Land of the Pharaohs, The Prodigal or The Silver Chalice. Many dismiss Chalice, but for my wife and I it is just a lot of fun, especially Jack Palance and Virginia Mayo. We confess to pulling out the old DVD quite often. Sad news here, my Koch Fall of the Roman Empire went bad this week, had to order a replacement.

RICK BOND

Screenwriter
Real Name
RICK
I just watched Esther and the King today for the first time on streaming. I Enjoyed it very much ! :DToo bad it was not released on Bluray by Twilight Time or KL ! Now who will release Fox Classics like this ? Disney ? Why did they buy 20th Century Fox and the movie catalog if they are Not going to release titles like this ? :( :huh: :angry:

Ed Lachmann

Screenwriter
Real Name
Edmund Lachmann
Mine was bad from the day I got it - soft and fuzzy with a bit of the look of a watercolor painting to it.

Yeah not so great, and neither was El Cid. I, too, wish that someone stateside would step up and give us new HD transfers of both. Two of my favorites.

richardburton84

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jack
Fall at least needs a new transfer from the Ultra Panavision negative, the only one of the Bronston epics actually shot in 65mm, but never presented in the full 2:76 aspect ratio. Also, it would be nice if we could finally get those deleted scenes that were supposedly found too late to be included on the DVD release.

RICK BOND

Screenwriter
Real Name
RICK
Fall at least needs a new transfer from the Ultra Panavision negative, the only one of the Bronston epics actually shot in 65mm, but never presented in the full 2:76 aspect ratio. Also, it would be nice if we could finally get those deleted scenes that were supposedly found too late to be included on the DVD release.
richard, I have had the UK Anchor Bay Blurays of Fall & Cid since 2012 ! :unsure: Like you I am Still waiting for the Upgrades ! :huh:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks