Biblical-Roman-Egyptian epics not yet on Blu-ray

OliverK

Senior HTF Member
Yes, I understand that they were mastered from low contrast prints, which is just not good enough these days. I think both could look stunning if done right.
Indeed these two both had the large format and the cinematography that let's large format productions shine, Tony Mann and Robert Krasker saw to that.

The embarassing previous releases were derived from low contrast prints but those prinmts used to have some grain and textures, too. The Weinstein company obviously was not smart enough to see to it that whoever worked on them did a proper job. Instead it looks like some kind of blanket multipass dustbuster algorithm was employed that destroyed all details and textures that those prints may have had. Both movies almost look like they were animated.

El Cid should be done sooner rather than later as it was shot on very problematic stock. Would be nice if it went to Pinewood for scanning and it will also need more extensive grading / color correction thsn the other Bronston productions.

OliverK

Senior HTF Member
Very true - ironically we now have a situation that the two most popular Bronston epics are the ones that look the worst.

Circus World also looks really good and it was the first Bronston that Pinewood worked on and the colors are very good save for a bit of unevenness from scene to scene.

richardburton84

Second Unit
Real Name
Jack
Very true - ironically we now have a situation that the two most popular Bronston epics are the ones that look the worst.

Circus World also looks really good and it was the first Bronston that Pinewood worked on and the colors are very good save for a bit of unevenness from scene to scene.
Fond as I am of El Cid and Fall, I always thought King of Kings was more popular than those two, of course that has also had more exposure. My mom at least has fond memories of watching it on television every Easter along with The Robe and Barabbas (another Biblical epic in need of a new transfer) when she was a little girl.

OliverK

Senior HTF Member
Fond as I am of El Cid and Fall, I always thought King of Kings was more popular than those two, of course that has also had more exposure. My mom at least has fond memories of watching it on television every Easter along with The Robe and Barabbas (another Biblical epic in need of a new transfer) when she was a little girl.
You are probably right about that as the other two were in rather limited circulation compared to King of Kings.

Oh yes Barabbas - the one that got away. Last watched it as a kid on a black and white 12" CRT television - just the kind of display where even the current European Blu-ray would look halfway decent. I know Sony will do right by Barabbas but I hope it will be sooner rather than later.

Billy Batson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
Oh yes, Barabbas. The crucifixion, shot during a real total eclipse, that amazing sulphur mine & those arena scenes are pretty epic (& what a god-awful DVD). I don't know if Sony have done any work on it, who knows what they're doing these days. Twilight Time used to release a lot of new Sony transfers/restorations, Indicator released a lot of their Hammer films, but who's releasing any Sony catalogue titles now?

OliverK

Senior HTF Member
From what I know Indicator still works with Sony so they could release Barabbas. I could also see Criterion do it as back then it was considered more of a thinking man's epic.

Bringing Barabbas back from the Technirama elements will be quite an extensive undertaking so I would also not rule out that Sony will release it themselves. You make me want to watch it right now!

Last edited:
Reactions: Ed Lachmann

john a hunter

Screenwriter
I don't think so.
Certainly in the UK ,K of K managed only about 5-4 months as a road show at the Coliseum in London and then went quickly into general release.
Cid on the other hand ran about 2 1/2 years at the Metropole before transferring to the Odeon Haymarket.
Much more successful.

PatrickDA

Second Unit
From "Movie Roadshows"

"As of October 1962, the film (El Cid) had played only 800 of 25,000 worldwide situations in 29 out of 60 countries and was expected to gross $30,000,000 to $40,000,000.

Variety indicated it had made $12,000,000 as of 1967. That was $12,000,000 on an $8,000,000+ budget."

Michael Gebeart's "The Encyclopedia of Movie Awards" has "El Cid' with $11,500,000 rentals (1962), which was third for that year. "Spartacus" was second with $14,000,000.

Last edited:
Reactions: OliverK

Paul Rossen

Screenwriter
From "Movie Roadshows"

"As of October 1962, the film (El Cid) had played only 800 of 25,000 worldwide situations in 29 out of 60 countries and was expected to gross $30,000,000 to $40,000,000.

Variety indicated it had made $12,000,000 as of 1967. That was $12,000,000 on an $8,000,000+ budget."

Michael Gebeart's "The Encyclopedia of Movie Awards" has "El Cid' with $11,500,000 rentals (1962), which was third for that year. "Spartacus" was second with $14,000,000.
Spartacus was released in October 1960 and probably made most of its revenue in 1961.

john a hunter

Screenwriter
I don't think the year of release makes a difference to how revenue is calculated.
Ben Hur made very little in the year of its release!
In addition to the revenue cited above, there is of course, foreign earnings , by rule of thumb, the same for North America.
All good reasons why Cid was popular and now should be treated to a a nice 4k restoration and release!!!!

Paul Rossen

Screenwriter
I don't think the year of release makes a difference to how revenue is calculated.
Ben Hur made very little in the year of its release!
In addition to the revenue cited above, there is of course, foreign earnings , by rule of thumb, the same for North America.
All good reasons why Cid was popular and now should be treated to a a nice 4k restoration and release!!!!
El Cid was indeed very popular as a Roadshow as well as general release. I believe someone above said that KoK was more popular than El Cid . That was not the case at all. My mistake if I read that wrong.

OliverK

Senior HTF Member
El Cid was indeed very popular as a Roadshow as well as general release. I believe someone above said that KoK was more popular than El Cid . That was not the case at all. My mistake if I read that wrong.
I think the case was made that after their respective theatrical releases King of Kings got a lot more exposure in later years.

It was/is shown at the usual date for this kind of movie on TV, it is with a major studio and it has a very good looking Blu-ray. It also had a very good DVD release at the time. None of that can be said for El Cid but at least a new Blu-ray is possible and I am also sure that a new 4k master will help its popularity in other areas of distribution.

Billy Batson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
Ha, way back in the early sixties Hercules Unchained was released in the UK (well, London anyway) with a huge publicity campaign (vans driving around the street with a huge film poster). Anyway, me & my school mates went & saw it, big colourful poster, colourful front of house sets as we went into the cinema, & then it started...& it was in b/w, & a very murky b/w at that. Knowing what I know now, the distributor had obviously saved himself a lot of money & had a lot of b/w prints made (probably from a colour print for all I know). I still haven't seen it in colour.

Douglas R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
Ha, way back in the early sixties Hercules Unchained was released in the UK (well, London anyway) with a huge publicity campaign (vans driving around the street with a huge film poster). Anyway, me & my school mates went & saw it, big colourful poster, colourful front of house sets as we went into the cinema, & then it started...& it was in b/w, & a very murky b/w at that. Knowing what I know now, the distributor had obviously saved himself a lot of money & had a lot of b/w prints made (probably from a colour print for all I know). I still haven't seen it in colour.
That’s weird. I saw it when it first opened in London (at the Embassy, North Harrow I think) and it was certainly in colour.

Billy Batson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
That’s weird. I saw it when it first opened in London (at the Embassy, North Harrow I think) and it was certainly in colour.
It was along time ago, but I can still remember the disappointment. Maybe I was unlucky with the choice of cinema, it was at the Royalty, Ladbroke Grove, I saw a lot of great films there, it closed down around 1963.

AH! I think you're right. Thinking about it, it may well have been Goliath & The Barbarians (I think it was). It was a lifetime ago.

Last edited:

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smwe16