What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

Biblical-Roman-Egyptian epics not yet on Blu-ray (3 Viewers)

Quatermass II

Second Unit
Real Name
John Hayes
I suppose we are all trapped by the movies we loved when young and so no one can convince me that films like LAND OF THE PHARAOHS, SODOM AND GOMORRAH, THE EGYPTIAN, ULYSSES, PRIDE AND THE PASSION and BARABBAS, to name a few, are not great films, even though so many people nowadays deride them. When young I also took careful note of photographic processes such as CinemaScope, VistaVision, 3D and 70mm and always got a thrill seeing those various logos; yet so few of my contemporaries cared about the technical side of films, being only interested in the story - I never understood that.
Exactly the same for me, Doug - I guess we lived during the best time!

skylark68

Screenwriter
Real Name
Timothy
I just wish I was alive when these films were coming out. It must have been something else.

I missed them all by at least a few decades unfortunately. My overall favorite genre of film to be honest, especially those in the various widescreen processes.

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
I suppose we are all trapped by the movies we loved when young and so no one can convince me that films like LAND OF THE PHARAOHS, SODOM AND GOMORRAH, THE EGYPTIAN, ULYSSES, PRIDE AND THE PASSION and BARABBAS, to name a few, are not great films, even though so many people nowadays deride them. When young I also took careful note of photographic processes such as CinemaScope, VistaVision, 3D and 70mm and always got a thrill seeing those various logos; yet so few of my contemporaries cared about the technical side of films, being only interested in the story - I never understood that.

I'm not trapped by the movies I loved when I was young: I am enriched by them!:) What does surprise me a little is the actors and actresses I once thought were something special but who no longer impress me.

Ed Lachmann

Screenwriter
Real Name
Edmund Lachmann
Hannibal arrived today. Wow, and pretty fast from Amazon-jp. I guess that's what the nine bucks shipping will get you. Really, a VAST improvement over the old VCI DVD and definitely hi-def. Like in many prints of that age a few long shots are slightly soft, but for the most part it does have a pleasant sharpness and bold color saturation. Got into it a good 9 minutes just to get a feel. Not a 4K master by any measure, more likely 1080, but for the most part what I'd consider more than just acceptable. Region A, easy menu set up, English track with NO forced subs. Best bring down the treble and boost the bass a bit. There's a nice little 8 page inset program with stills and, if you read Japanese, probably very insightful. You might have to love this movie to pick it up, but I'm sure a happy customer. Of course, I'm a peplum slut.

Last edited:

Darby67

Screenwriter
Real Name
Sean
I just purchased a "like new" copy of The Land of the Pharaohs (the Cult Camp Classic pressed disc released) on Ebay today and I am on the hunt for a "like new" copy of The Egyptian DVD from Twilight Time. Both films are blind buys for me based largely on the posts of HTFers.

Konstantinos

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Konstantinos
Hannibal arrived today. Wow, and pretty fast from Amazon-jp. I guess that's what the nine bucks shipping will get you. Really, a VAST improvement over the old VCI DVD and definitely hi-def. Like in many prints of that age a few long shots are slightly soft, but for the most part it does have a pleasant sharpness and bold color saturation. Got into it a good 9 minutes just to get a feel. Not a 4K master by any measure, more likely 1080, but for the most part what I'd consider more than just acceptable. Region A, easy menu set up, English track with NO forced subs. Best bring down the treble and boost the bass a bit. There's a nice little 8 page inset program with stills and, if you read Japanese, probably very insightful. You might have to love this movie to pick it up, but I'm sure a happy customer. Of course, I'm a peplum slut.

Happy for you that it's not an upscale.
By the way, I just noticed you in the FSM board too! and you're right about the last part. hehe
You like scores of this genre too.

Konstantinos

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Konstantinos
I am on the hunt for a "like new" copy of The Egyptian DVD from Twilight Time. Both films are blind buys for me based largely on the posts of HTFers.

I guess you're not Region free?
Because there are European blurays of The Egyptian.
Not a great film, but very impressive nonetheless and I'm happy I had bought the TT release.

Ed Lachmann

Screenwriter
Real Name
Edmund Lachmann
Happy for you that it's not an upscale.
By the way, I just noticed you in the FSM board too! and you're right about the last part. hehe
You like scores of this genre too.

I even have the Rustichelli Annibale score on a Digitmovies CD, so I can have a field day with old Hannibal now. Wish WB would make a deal with Twilight Time. I'd bet they would finally give us Land of the Pharaohs (Tiomkin), The Silver Chalice (Waxman) and Helen of Troy (Steiner). TT is the brainchild of a couple of score lovers, so they'd surely make it happen. I'm hoping that Minerva Japan can also get their hands on Ulmer's wild and wacky Journey Beneath the Desert (1961), also with a Rustichelli score and one hot Hara Harareet sans veil (and most everything else) in a frenetic She sendup. Something tells me that this may indeed happen.

Ed Lachmann

Screenwriter
Real Name
Edmund Lachmann
You have aroused my interest! :)

The only way to see Journey Beneath the Desert is on a horrible unwatchable DVD sold by Sinister Cinema at Amazon. Why there is not available decent release is a mystery. Hope it shows up someday somewhere. In Italy it was titled Antinea, in France L'Atlantide, and the stills in the Legend/Sugar CD of the score are sure fun. Finished Hannibal and I would even upgrade my first impression. The main source is really gorgeous with lost footage brought in from another slightly softer source. Pretty impressive all told for a rather obscure title. Happy camper here!

Last edited:

Konstantinos

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Konstantinos
Not quite biblical, but I just watched Francis of Assisi (1961).
It was much better than I expected and I certainly would welcome a bluray of it. Maybe Twilight Time?

(I liked it better than the much asked for Barabbas)

OliverK

Senior HTF Member
I already got Colossus and it is the weakest ancient world epic I have seen in a while.
I would probably have bought just about every other possible ancient world epic/movie from Warner but not this one again.
I hope for Warner that others will like it more as I would prefer for this release to be a success. If it isn't they will probably think that histrorical movies in general do not sell well and then we might never see Land of the Pharaohs and others in the next decade!

john a hunter

Screenwriter
Not quite biblical, but I just watched Francis of Assisi (1961).
It was much better than I expected and I certainly would welcome a bluray of it. Maybe Twilight Time?

(I liked it better than the much asked for Barabbas)
If you have only seen the terrible French BD, then it is not surprised that you didn't think much of it.
If you had seen it in Technirama70, you would understand while many hold it in high regard.
Let's hope we get a decent transfer before too long.

Quatermass II

Second Unit
Real Name
John Hayes
Helen of Troy, Barabbas, and a better quality.... Fall of the Roman Empire. The UK disc is not sharp, and has No overture, intermission, or exit music. A better copy of EL CID would also be very welcome.
Absolutely agree - also Fall Of The Roman Empire is not in the correct aspect ratio (2.76:1) either.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Marv74BR
    Recent bookmarks